• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Incredible Tornado Footage

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
From 1998. I had seen this about a year ago and it just came into my recommendations and just watched it again. Apparently the guy had just gotten back from the airport after a business trip and was changing when the storm appeared.

I think we can all identify with this fellow. It's wild how our emotions shift according to the proximity of danger/disaster. Anyway I figured I'd throw it up here in case anybody else finds it as fascinating as I did.

Last edited:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Incredible footage for that era. It is hard to describe the emotions that result from being affected by a tornado. One of those "Nature is the boss" kind of feelings that certain situations make you realize. Chance being one of the only things keeping us from being like ants in a whirlwind.

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Wow. Got a little shaky watching that, especially when it spun down to that tight funnel...looked alien. Then just spun away, leaving fist size ice balls. I'll just stand here and film it while my wife asks it to go away. Jeez.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yea, cars are bad places to be in a tornado.
In fact, there's not really a good place be "in" one.

Had one come within a quarter mile of my house a few Months back.
They really do sound like a train. In fact, I actually thought it was a train, at first. Lol
....but then I started hearing loud banging sounds too. It was buildings nearby being torn apart.

A lady I know had a direct hit on her home a few years ago. She told me her and her family ran to an interior bathroom and shut the door. Said she knew it was bad when leaves started blowing under the door. Ripped most of the house apart.
She still gets really nervous whenever it storms.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

They really do sound like a train. In fact, I actually thought it was a train, at first. Lol
....but then I started hearing loud banging sounds too. It was buildings nearby being torn apart.

A lady I know had a direct hit on her home a few years ago. She told me her and her family ran to an interior bathroom and shut the door. Said she knew it was bad when leaves started blowing under the door. Ripped most of the house apart.
I've heard them sound like a swarm of giant bees too. Crazy.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Here is probably the crappiest tornado pic you will ever see. I took it in 2001 using my Sony digital camera which writes directly to 1.44 MB floppies.
dustcld.jpg

Not much of a visible condensation funnel. It caused damage and the NWS surveyed the damage we reported and determined it was a weak tornado. Half the neighborhood was yelling at us (weather spotters) for not setting off their sirens. I later learned that the particular township refused to pay to get on the county system so we didn't have the ability to remotely set their sirens off.

I have seen 3 tornadoes but thankfully only weak ones.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Here is probably the crappiest tornado pic you will ever see. I took it in 2001 using my Sony digital camera which writes directly to 1.44 MB floppies.
View attachment 152346

Not much of a visible condensation funnel. It caused damage and the NWS surveyed the damage we reported and determined it was a weak tornado. Half the neighborhood was yelling at us (weather spotters) for not setting off their sirens. I later learned that the particular township refused to pay to get on the county system so we didn't have the ability to remotely set their sirens off.

I have seen 3 tornadoes but thankfully only weak ones.
I've been close enough to a few to know the Tell-Tale signs...thick green "clouds" & cold air/hail. One night I was in the local supermarket and suddenly there was an announcement to take cover due to a tornado. I quickly went outside to the parking lot thankfully was heading in the opposite direction. Our specific area tends to be just passed over by the tornadoes that wreck the surrounding states. Those storms have my ultimate respect. Even microbursts do significant damage like the one I was caught in at my mother's house where Insurance ended up replacing her roof and three sides of the clapboard siding from relatively very small hail.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

She still gets really nervous whenever it storms.
What region/state are you in?

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That would indicate to me that you were under the downdraft portion of the storm. Ie: cold air falling from the stratosphere.
Storms suck up warm humid air high into the storm and then dump it off to the side of the updraft. You could've still been really close to it though.

The people who made the vid in the op appeared to be in the inflow portion of the storm. Ie:to the tornado's South and East.
Which is why they only had big hail. At some point it becomes too heavy to stay aloft. In the downdraft, you get all sizes of hail.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I've been close enough to a few to know the Tell-Tale signs...thick green "clouds" & cold air/hail. One night I was in the local supermarket and suddenly there was an announcement to take cover due to a tornado. I quickly went outside to the parking lot thankfully was heading in the opposite direction. Our specific area tends to be just passed over by the tornadoes that wreck the surrounding states. Those storms have my ultimate respect. Even microbursts do significant damage like the one I was caught in at my mother's house where Insurance ended up replacing her roof and three sides of the clapboard siding from relatively very small hail.
I had an interesting experience September of 2018. A storm that I did not dare to go out and spot. There were numerous tornadoes, some hit parts of my city. The tornadoes were moving at 60+ MPH and were rain wrapped. I took shelter when it hit. Power went out the moment it hit. Likely a small tornado came through my area. Neighbor lost a pine tree, I lost a pine tree, half a maple and some willows. A few trees went down in the field across the street. Neighbors bench swing ended up in my yard upside down. Everything was laying pretty randomly.
I almost never take shelter. That one scared the crap out of me. I feel very lucky. People lost their homes that day.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What region/state are you in?
South central. I'm not a storm spotter, but I've attended several of their classes for personal reasons. I find weather fascinating and want to know what to look for when I'm out and about.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That would indicate to me that you were under the downdraft portion of the storm. Ie: cold air falling from the stratosphere.
Storms suck up warm humid air high into the storm and then dump it off to the side of the updraft. You could've still been really close to it though.

The people who made the vid in the op appeared to be in the inflow portion of the storm. Ie:to the tornado's South and East.
Which is why they only had big hail. At some point it becomes too heavy to stay aloft. In the downdraft, you get all sizes of hail.
It was a warm summer day and all of a sudden it was like somebody hit the AC switch and hail proceeded to fall.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is good footage from a couple'a momo's.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The last tornado I saw formed over the creek in front of my house and proceeded to a location North of me and randomly destroyed houses or several cases it did some really weird stuff like pulling up and entire wooden fence but leaving the things stacked beside it completely alone.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The last tornado I saw formed over the creek in front of my house and proceeded to a location North of me and randomly destroyed houses or several cases it did some really weird stuff like pulling up and entire wooden fence but leaving the things stacked beside it completely alone.
Yes, that's one of the Fascinations I have with tornadoes. The way that it forms, dissipates, moves, etc is wild and unpredictable. One of the most ugly, destructive, yet beautiful & graceful displays of nature imaginable.

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
In the OP's posted video, at around the 1:23 mark, the woman asks "which way is it going? is it coming this way?" the man replies "no, it's just sitting there".

This is a VERY good indicator that the tornado is moving either directly away from you, OR directly toward you.
Typically, tornadoes do not "hover".

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
i have personally been thru 2 tornados in my life....and been close to and around and involved in the aftermath of countless tornados including the Joplin tornado..... most at night.....as mentioned earlier...green clouds and calm warm humid air seems to preceded one in daylight....i had a forensic engineer on my staff so i can tell endless stories of oddities and strange things caused by tornados....needless to say now that i am retired one of the first things i did was build a fully reinforced concrete room in the house easy to access with a inward opening door.....i do not fear them (my father did) but i have a extremely healthy respect and curiosity for them and other extreme weather...

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
wanted to add that footage is the best i have ever seen......

i am alive because a tornado chose the trailer house 50 ft away to destroy and not the one i was in when i was a toddler (probably why my dad feared storms so much)

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I came home from a particularly long day of work, one day way back, about ten or twelve years ago. I can’t remember if I ate anything or just went right to bed, I was so freaking exhausted, but I remember waking up, it was still pretty early and thought to myself that I was hearing a freight train outside. Just loud and ferocious sounding. I lay there thinking to myself, it must be really windy outside, but I was so tired I just went back to sleep.

The next day, I got up and went to work. I used to go real early, so I was on the road to work way before daylight, like 2:30 AM. I got a call at work from my wife that trees were down in our back yard and when I got home my neighbor came over all excited and said the tornado knocked them over, and I do mean big trees, knocked right over, in my back yard and across the street, too. He said there was a huge funnel just sitting above my house for the longest time. And I slept through it, mostly. We were very fortunate that evening. I sleep upstairs, too. I could have been swept away like Dorothy and Toto.

We live on the southwest side of a small Ohio city that basically sits in a big bowl shaped area and our house is on the outside rim of the bowl. So, the tornado kind of bounced over us and across the city and landed on the Northeast edge of town and really made a heck of a mess to businesses and homes in that area. It’s all luck or the grace of God.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Same tornado from the OP from another vantage point.
Screenshot_20200126-160612.png

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
When the last tornado that ripped through the area, my girlfriend and I were engaged in a romp when the skies got dark, very dark. Little bit of thunder and rain. We didn't know that a tornado ripped through the town and a few others until later that day. We live in a place that has ridges and valley's yet we are not immune to getting twisters. There have been two that I know of in my lifetime.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
new and ttaz,

same thing here, where those thick green clouds are unmistakable that heavy weather is inbound

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
even a small tornado is impressive. Growing up in Indiana we had our "dust devils" and hay field inspired updrafts.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Tornadoes of 2019 - The Endless Storm Season
By Pecos Hank, one of my favorites.
I've watched a few of his chases before. Good style. Thanks for posting.

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I just remembered this one from when I was a kid. Amazing tornado footage from a helicopter in 1986.

LOL at the 2nd female anchor's hairdo...
Guys are lucky, they can keep their wardrobes for years!

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Let's go to CGI for thrills, lol

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
^ Awe come on! I like the real stuff. :D

For a little cinema on top of real footage, here is a music video that Pecos Hank made. Same guy that made the video in post #27. The song was my soundtrack for my trip to Wyoming for the solar eclipse in 2017.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
You ain't going to get much closer than this...