• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Indoor Kerosene Convection Heater recommendations?

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Looking to get one for inside my mobile. I spent my pre teens and teens living in CA and the furnace was too expensive to run so we had this great Kerosene Heater we ran that had some safety option there carbon monoxide would not kill everyone, somehow anyway.

Can anyone recommend something affordable that works good. Any idea how much Kerosene a single family might go through a month?

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
1571772925559.png
They don't put out a lot of heat, but the heat is infrared so it is a real comfortable heat. They are messy. Smell of kerosene. Burn clean / fumes not that bad. I would never use it for family/single source of heat, but they do come in handy.

I think it burned about half a gallon in 24 hours? Seems I was getting two five gallon containers full every month in a climate like yours.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Before you get too excited check your area for fuel. There is no bulk kerosene in my area so I have to resort to box store kerosene and it ain’t cheap. I typically only use it for warming the garage if I need to work out there in the winter.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Before you get too excited check your area for fuel. There is no bulk kerosene in my area so I have to resort to box store kerosene and it ain’t cheap. I typically only use it for warming the garage if I need to work out there in the winter.
Kerosene is so expensive at retailers, around $9.50 a gallon here. Propane is a much cheaper fuel, even at grocery stores and the Dollar store you can buy 5 gallons for $20. Bulk propane is around $2.20 a gallon, my guy will fill my smaller tanks for the bulk price.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I have an older one. I don't like them. When they run out of fuel they really make a stink. The cheapest kerosene I can find is around 7.50 a gallon.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Propane catalytic non-vented is not as bad as kerosene, but I wouldn't use a non vented heater in anything but a shop or temporary use like a hunting camp. Two words for you: wood heat.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Propane catalytic non-vented is not as bad as kerosene, but I wouldn't use a non vented heater in anything but a shop or temporary use like a hunting camp. Two words for you: wood heat.
I've got one of those BigBuddy catalytic propane heaters for temporary use, but agree, wood is the way to go. 2nd is vented propane heat.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Whatever you decide on make sure it has an oxygen depletion sensor and get a carbon monoxide detector with a battery back up.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Years ago we called kerosine "coal oil." It was priced at more or less giveaway prices and was often used as paint thinner, oil based paints were what there was at the time, assorted uses such as cleaning anything that happened to have road oil on it.
It was also used in rural areas like one of my uncle's farm for cooking
1571792904788.png

A cheap miracle product back in the day but now priced like liquid gold.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My wood pile, the culls and cleats will heat me through the mild winter. Red oak, white oak, and hickory - boards were used to transport pipe on railcars. I'm making doors, gates, tables tops with the better material. $75 per 50 boards - 8 bundles of 50.

wood pile.jpg

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Vlad,

Do you have room or the ability to put a wood burner outside and just pipe the heat in?
I am assuming you have very little floor space to work with, and wood heaters take up a lot of space when you factor in clearance to combustibles, etc.

I agree with the guys re kero, to me it was always a bugger, filthy and expensive.

I have used various propane units, and they work just fine without the mess, maint, and smell. You can swap out tanks like you do for a grill. Etc.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr-Heater-30-000-BTU-Vent-Free-Blue-Flame-Propane-Heater/113673466

5bbe1c3a-f6a7-454c-91b0-aee44b183b15_1.c7d968c12138b1fe4aa246e4ca6c1a7e.jpeg

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
One of the things I came up with was to heat with diesel. I opted for a Webasto STC2000 which nobody seems to know about in the US, but is used in Canada, Europe and Russia. You could use red-dye diesel which is the same as regular fuel but minus the fuel taxes. I bought mine on eBay from a Russian seller. It is a genuine unit but does not have any warranty attached to it.

bb