• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Irons ongoing MD finds thread

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Lawrence

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I think I'd like to try this but dip my toe in the water before diving in. What's a decent unit to try to start out with, maybe in the $150 range?

I think there are some places around here that may "pan out", sandy long term public access areas to a local river, bunches of them. Don't know about the beaches because there is so much sand turnover from storms, nothing of value could stay there long.
A lot of decent detectors are available used in the $175 range. $150's on the low side for a Garrett Ace 250 but it's entirely possible to get a deal on eBay. This Discovery 3300 is over $200 new, for example. If I hadn't bought that Ace 350 last night (people say they're overrated but it's worth $50 more than I paid, at least) I might have snagged this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Discovery-3...501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebb24a0ed

edit: BIN no longer available

Last edited:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Hypothetically if one were interested in buying a detector to start swinging would this be a good deal?

http://fayar.craigslist.org/grd/2787894161.html
I would go for a newer lighter weight unit. You can get a brand new Ace 150 for that price.

http://newenglanddetectors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_20&products_id=39

This Tesoro is one of the best loved MD's out there, lifetime warrenty and made in Arizona.

http://newenglanddetectors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=119

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Cool thanks. I didn't now if it was a "they don't make em like they used to" kind of thing.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
lol, Indeed good sense does it make.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Damn you guys! I can't resist much longer. A quick search turned up these reviews...

I purchased this as my first metal detector.
It paid for itself after the first time out when I found a gold medallion.
It is excellent for coins.
I usually run mine on jewelry mode (lookin for more gold).
Jan 15, 2012
I've had my ACE250 for just over a year now. I figured I would've upgraded to a "better" detector by this point but the reality is this thing just keeps serving up the booty. What I like about it is you can swing it very quickly and it won't miss anything. In fact, I tried to fool it in tests with wild swings and wasn't able to. The way it identifies coins is uncanny. Also the way it identifies iron and other junk items is good too as some days you just don't want to dig nails so you can de-select the far left mark and you won't have to listen to it.

Someone mentioned that it is difficult to pinpoint with the elliptical coil. This is not true, but you do have to learn how to pinpoint with this machine. I will tell you how because this isn't in the instruction manual. Once you've pinpointed in the general area of the target, move it slightly off-side and release and quickly press pinpoint again. This will put the machine into a less sensitive range and you can pinpoint more tightly. Repeat as necessary. I show this to another hunter with the same unit for three years and he didn't know this trick. You can dig a coin 5 inches down with hole of only 2 inches diameter and not miss it.

I can recommend the ACE 250 without hesitation.
Oct 20, 2011
I have been coin shooting for the past 18 years and own several detectors from different manufactures. One of my grandchildren recently took an interest in coin shooting so I gave her an Ace 250 and Garrett Delux headphones for her birthday.
After working with my granddaughter and trying to teach her the trick of the trade (so to speak), I realized that this ultra-light little machine worked better than machines I had used costing 4 times more than the Ace 250.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
A pro pointer is a must with any metal detector IMO, you find your target and move on much faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Well Lawrence, after finding another almost identical auction over $150 + 15 for shipping I decided to jump on it and I grabbed the machine above.

My house was built in the 1930's so I figure that practicing in the yard would be a good idea. :D

Irons, now look what you've done! :biggrin:
You can thank me later!

May you dig endless Gold. ~ :36_1_11:.... :36_3_12:

Lawrence

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Well Lawrence, after finding another almost identical auction over $150 + 15 for shipping I decided to jump on it and I grabbed the machine above.

My house was built in the 1930's so I figure that practicing in the yard would be a good idea. :D

Irons, now look what you've done! :biggrin:
Awesome. I would have bought that if I hadn't gotten the 350. Probably should have, actually. People seem to think the 350 isn't worth the premium over the 250.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Awesome. I would have bought that if I hadn't gotten the 350. Probably should have, actually. People seem to think the 350 isn't worth the premium over the 250.
They both are great machine Lawrence but the 350 has the DD coil which is incredible for picking good targets out of trashy areas.

The little bit of time I have got to spend with my AT Pro so far has blown my mind.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
How would you compare your AT Pro to the little Bounty Hunter?

Find any beach bunny piercings?
Beach is still frozen solid so no go there yet.

The BH is a great machine and the trash eliminator setting works really well for a $90 unit. If it's made of metal the BH will find it up to around 7 inches down.

The biggest difference is the coil on the AT puts out a narrow search field where the other machines put out a cone shaped field.

That allows you to hit a silver object out of a mess of bottle caps and rusty nails.

Last edited:

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Just bought Garrett 250 ($152 Amazon NIB incl S&H). Got some areas in mind.

This is exciting!

I can practice around my house, everything around here is sand so the digging will be easy. The real gold mine (pun intended) would be in North Georgia where I lived most of my life. There was a US Mint in Dahlonega where they made gold coins from the gold mined in GA pre-Civil War. Luck into one of those suckers and it could be many $10's of thousands.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Have a link for that $152 250 on Amazon? I'm gonna start flipping them if there's more than one at that price.
While digging the link up I looked hard and noticed that I'd bought a Garrett 150 by mistake! I cancelled the order and reordered a 250 for $212.

Thanks, you saved me from a real screw up, I would have been pissed at myself.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
While digging the link up I looked hard and noticed that I'd bought a Garrett 150 by mistake! I cancelled the order and reordered a 250 for $212.

Thanks, you saved me from a real screw up, I would have been pissed at myself.
Yeah old Lawrence ain't bad, we can prolly keep him around. ;)

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Just bought Garrett 250 ($152 Amazon NIB incl S&H). Got some areas in mind.

This is exciting!

I can practice around my house, everything around here is sand so the digging will be easy. The real gold mine (pun intended) would be in North Georgia where I lived most of my life. There was a US Mint in Dahlonega where they made gold coins from the gold mined in GA pre-Civil War. Luck into one of those suckers and it could be many $10's of thousands.
Damn you guys are on fire!

Nice machine! ~ :36_1_11:

May you dig endless Gold! ~ :36_3_12:

CiscoKid

They all look good through beer goggles...
Gold Chaser
Buddy of mine has a used Minelab GPX-4000 for sale. About two years old with about 24 hours on it. I know they no longer make this unit but I think I can get it for $3k. This is a pulse induction machine and will go deep. Should I do it or save for a GPX-5000? The 5000 has updated timing and discrimination circuits. Still, only $3k for a slightly used 4000 seems tempting.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
This is a great deal on MD accessories

Hi all, New England Detectors has a great promo going for anyone looking for a Garrett Pro Pointer and Lesche digger Combo Pack. Buy a Garrett Pro Pointer and we will include a Lesche Digger with your choice of Left or Right Side Serrated Edge for an additional $10!(enter your choice of Left or Right Side Serration in the special instruction or comments section of checkout)

http://newenglanddetectors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_22_12&products_id=150

TheMadHatter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Buddy of mine has a used Minelab GPX-4000 for sale. About two years old with about 24 hours on it. I know they no longer make this unit but I think I can get it for $3k. This is a pulse induction machine and will go deep. Should I do it or save for a GPX-5000? The 5000 has updated timing and discrimination circuits. Still, only $3k for a slightly used 4000 seems tempting.
Is the 4000 only used for gold nugs?

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Little known that Pensacola had the earliest European settlement in what is now North America, by Spain in 1565.

I'm gonna dig up some of them fine Spanish Krugerrands. :lol04:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
We got a nice thaw going on up here and I finally got some hours on my AT Pro today! ~ :cool:

I was dirtfishing at the park until 10 PM and found a bunch of clad, some button batteries, wierd clips and zipper tangs.

It's going to take a bit to learn this new machine, I was nailing dimes almost 9 inches down!

I ain't used to that, gotta go slower. The coil on this pro is a lot bigger and it took some time to learn to pinpoint the targets.

I wasn't finding any nickels at first and that was odd, then I figured out the nickels hit on 59-61 and the foil crap around 40.

I'm going out every day until it snows again so I'll post pics this weekend. :biggrin:

CiscoKid

Gold Chaser
Is the 4000 only used for gold nugs?
No. It can be set to find anything. It will just find stuff deeper is all. It will also cut through heavily mineralized soil. Set it for gold, however, and the only thing better is a newer model GPX.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
No. It can be set to find anything. It will just find stuff deeper is all. It will also cut through heavily mineralized soil. Set it for gold, however, and the only thing better is a newer model GPX.
Ground balance can be a huge issue with MD's Im learning.

The black sand on some of my local fresh water beaches flipped my bounty hunter right out.

Seeing is believing, I could walk along the waterline and get a signal where the waves lap the shore for miles no matter how I set the descrimination.

Lawrence

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Detector arrived today. Two interesting things: 1. It was wrapped in bed wetting sheets. 2. There was more stuff than I was expecting. Got the Ace 350, Garrett headphones, Garrett gym bag, Garrett belt pouch, Garrett rain cover, stainless digging tool, and new batteries.

Tried it for a few minutes in my backyard and it went crazy. Must be full of trash. I dug one spot and came up with a piece of copper pipe.

CiscoKid

Gold Chaser
I got ripped off! :s10: Mine didn't come with any bed wetting sheets.

Hystckndle

GETWHAT'SYOURS
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Reco checking that out before ya spring for it.
Might not be zactly what your application is.
Kick arse unit though.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Man I must have picked the drunks side of the park this evening, bottle caps and pull tabs and trash galore.

I got less than a dozen clads and they were mostly pennies. Ahh well.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
We're packing a lunch and hitting this place hard tomorrow.

This park is big dollah campers all summer long with fancy boats and a 2 year waiting list just to rent a spot for your mega camper within a "short walk" to the water.

It won't open until April, until then it's mine! ~ emoticonmoney.jpg

br.... parkRS.jpg

Eat Beef

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Cemeteries, think about it. NO! Don't dig deep ya twisted bass turds!
Bad karma there Fluffychops. Most already think we're nuts we don't need them thinking we're ghouls too.