• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Irons ongoing MD finds thread

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
It's over the arctic circle, it's always winter up norte!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GOLD # 11 2018

Targets were sparse today but I managed a nice little 10k ring, old one too.
Too bad it's broke in 4 places it's pretty and has nice details you don't see on modern rings.
It's likely been in the lake for 100 years. The stone is totally sandblasted looking so it's probably glass or paste.

Not marked at all but it held 10k acid no problem. Little Gold counts!

Thanks for looking!
4-3-18- (1)rs.jpg
4-3-18- (2)rs.jpg
4-3-18- (6)rs.jpg
4-3-18- (4)rs.jpg
4-3-18- (3)rs.jpg
4-3-18- (7)rs.jpg

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
OPAL is soft and has that appearance. FWIW

GOLD # 11 2018

Targets were sparse today but I managed a nice little 10k ring, old one too.
Too bad it's broke in 4 places it's pretty and has nice details you don't see on modern rings.
It's likely been in the lake for 100 years. The stone is totally sandblasted looking so it's probably glass or paste.

Not marked at all but it held 10k acid no problem. Little Gold counts!

Thanks for looking! View attachment 101919 View attachment 101920 View attachment 101921 View attachment 101922 View attachment 101923 View attachment 101924

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
it's a mood ring.....If we were to put it on muttons it turns black!
"Mood Ring" There is a term I haven't heard since my leather vest & hat daze.

Fella on my MD forum thought it may be a moonstone. ...................:don't know: .
If there is any hint of color bands or streaking chances are it is opal.
Moonstone I know nothing about :surrender:

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Moonstone has a luster that looks like an oil sheen on water. And opal's luster is waxy lookin. Moonstones just a little bit harder than opal, with both of them being able to leave a faint scratch in glass, and being softer than quartz, will be scratched by quartz.
Colors of both minerals abound; there's no one color that would distinguish one from the other. As far as density goes, they're about the same at 2.6 for moonstone and 2.1 for opal. Both of them leave a white streak (draw across a streak plate just like testing gold - just no acid required) so that is not much help to tell em apart either.

Just a few of the things I gotta go through to figure out what the hell something is, exactly.

BF

Last edited:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Gold # 12, 13 & 14 2018

Surprise because I thought the third Gold was junk!

Dang thing looked just like all the stainless steel junk rings I find, and I was several hours into the hunt so my arms were too tired to be able to tell if it weighed anything. Being white Gold it hit in the low 40's.
I didn't bother taking a picture of it out in the water, I tossed it in with the clad figuring it was junk.

The 10k clasp was a nice surprise for a foil signal and the little nugget ring was sitting next to a handful of nails.

I had to break out the USB microscope to get pictures of the tiny and faded hallmarks.

Thanks for looking, you too Smooth and Dodger!

4-9-18- (1)RS1.jpg
4-9-18- (2)RS2.jpg
4-9-18- (3)RS3.jpg
4-9-18- (4)RS4.jpg
RS5.jpg
RS6.jpg
4-9-18- (5)RS7.jpg
4-9-18- (6)RS8.jpg

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
and the little nugget ring was sitting next to a handful of nails
Hey Dave, whats up, are you running low on nails? I thought we agreed "TONS OF NAILS"
May have to recruit Wanka with a couple of his belt fed, fully- Semi -automatic, 16 penny caliber, machine nail guns to take up the slack....

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Hey Dave, whats up, are you running low on nails? I thought we agreed "TONS OF NAILS"
There's a guy that throws pennies in the water at the beach. When I can get a day, I will put my water proof stick that I got for Christmas in 2016 to use for the first time. Gotta make sure I get mortgage paid before I go play.

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Nice haul. Thanks for the eye candy.

Love it.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Nice little gold lobster clasp, Irons,
I suppose the spring is corroded all up in it?

BF
Probably, even if it wasn't the 10k is so brittle after decades in the water I broke the jump ring off the ID tag just handling it a little.
10k holds up a little better in fresh water compared to salt, but it still gets brittle to the point of being only good for melt.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Heh, odd currents out there today I'm glad I missed the big one!

Lake Michigan pier briefly submerged during 'Great Lakes meteotsunami'
Updated 3:59 PM; Posted 3:48 PM

These photos of the Ludington North Breakwater were taken just 10 minutes apart by Ludington photographer Todd Reed on Friday, April 13.(Courtesy Photo | Todd and Brad Reed Photography)

75shares
By Brandon Champion
bchampio@mlive.com

LUDINGTON, MI - Photos taken by a Michigan photographer captured the dramatic rise of Lake Michigan near Ludington.
MLive Meteorologist Mark Torregrossa reports that a quick rise in water level known as a seiche caused the lake to rise 13.9 inches in just 42 minutes around 12:30 p.m. on Friday, April 13.
Photos captured by Ludington-based photographer Todd Reed provide evidence of just how dramatic the phenomenon also known as a "Great Lakes meteotsunami" was.

The first photo taken around the time of the seiche shows the Ludington North Breakwater almost completely covered by water.
"The water was as high as (I) had seen since Nov. 10, 1975, the day the freighter Edmond Fitzgerald sank on Lake Superior. Water was also flooding the beach and the end of Ludington Avenue," Reed said in an email.
But it didn't last long. Returning to nearly the same spot less than 10 minutes later, Reed observed that not only was the entire breakwater above water, but the rocks lining the outside of it were highly visible.
This was at least the fourth seiche that the longtime West Michigan photographer had experienced on the Lake Michigan shoreline between Big and Little Sable Points.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/lake_michigan_pier_completely.html#comments

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
do they have some sort of weather radio warning on those?
Nope. They are called a seiche and they can be deadly.

As early as 1689, Baron La Hontan noted tide-like variations or seiches on his journeys of Lake Michigan. He noted that Green Bay would fluctuate three feet everyday and that the Straits of Mackinac had unusually strong currents. In 1721, French Jesuit Pierre de Charlevoix noted the water levels would change while traveling on Lake Ontario. Charlevoix noticed the water level fluctuated on the shoreline exposing and burying rocks daily. Another early explorer traveling the lakes, Henry Rowe Schoolcraft, in 1721, observed and documented his findings of water levels on the Great Lakes. He noted in Green Bay, while using a stake driven into the shoreline, that the water levels on Green Bay actually did fluctuate but was not exactly sure why or how (Dennis 2003. pgs. 267-268).

Most seiches on the Great Lakes are small and not very destructive, dangerous or life threatening to people on land. Many seiches force ships to wait or dock in a harbor until the seiche has finished and it is safe to depart. Strong rip currents often accompany a seiche, causing very dangerous water fluctuations and movements of abnormal currents. Occasionally, a destructive and even deadly seiche attacks the shores of the Great Lakes. Many of the deadliest seiches have occurred on Lake Michigan with a few somewhat large and destructive seiches taking place on Lakes Superior, Huron and Erie (Dennis 2003. pgs. 22-23).

On July 4, 1929, over 45,000 people gathered in Grand Haven, MI to partake in holiday events at Grand Haven State Park, on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. A series of seiches attacked the Grand Haven shoreline after an early morning storm. The storm produced a seiche that generated into high winds and 20-foot waves. The seiche completely buried the Grand Haven pier sweeping people off and left helpless, while strong rip currents carried several more away from the beach. The deadly seiche of 1929 was responsible for taking ten lives to the mighty and fierce Lake Michigan (Alexander 2005).

Nine years later, on July 13, 1938, another deadly seiche came about on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, just 20 miles south of Grand Haven, in Holland, MI. It was a beautiful calm day on the beach at the Holland State Park. Later that day, a huge amount of water that was piled on the Wisconsin shore two days earlier due to an east wind, returned to Holland in the form of a seiche. The calm seas soon turned into monstrous ten-foot edge waves with fierce rip currents that swept people from the beach, pier and boats. The seiche of 1938 claimed another five lives on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan (The Joint Archives of Holland 2001).

On June 26, 1954, the southern basin of Lake Michigan experienced a seiche in numerous locations, including the entire Illinois shoreline. The seiche was caused by a squall line that started in Michigan City, IN. The seiche continued to build in size along the Illinois shore.

(Courtesy of Illinois State Geological Survey-Bob Bauer, used with permission)

This diagram illustrates how the 1954 seiche formed and what areas were affected. Ten-foot waves struck North Avenue pier in downtown Chicago, IL. Fishermen were swept off the pier with many being rescued. Consequently, a Lake Michigan seiche yet again took the lives of eight people (Bauer 2005; Haas 2005). Chicago also has experienced such sudden and deadly waves (Haas 2005)

“A derecho, a widespread and long lived windstorm that is associated with a band of rapidly moving showers or thunderstorms, is yet another cause of a seiche” (NOAA 2005). In both 1995 and 1998, a fierce derecho invaded the Great Lakes region. On July 13, 1995 a derecho created a seiche on Lakes Superior, Huron and Erie. Extremely high wind gusts and changes in barometric pressure occurred on Lake Huron, the ingredients for a seiche.

http://geo.msu.edu/extra/geogmich/seiches.htm

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
1523828519636.png

Still not enough to flood Chicago out of existance, DAMN!!!