• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Is 1,000 rounds for your battle rifle enough for a Mad Max collapse?

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Is 1,000 rounds for your battle rifle enough for a Mad Max collapse? Let's do some fifth grade arithmetic. Twenty rounds a week is 1,040 rounds a year. Or say a hundred rounds a month, which is 1,200 rounds a year. About the same. Figure three years and it comes to 3,120 to 3,600 rounds. Call it 3,000 rounds. So, 1,000 rounds seems low. If it's too much you end up with a surplus and bragging rights. If it's not enough you end up dead. Or you may end up dead with a surplus.

Look at it another way, a Mad Max collapse with extra Mad. One firefight a month using 160 rounds each, which is 8 twenty-round magazines, comes to 1,920 rounds per year. Let's be optimistic and assume you can survive thirty six gun battles—thirty five sure, but thirty six? Figuring three years it totals 5,760 rounds.

If the premises are reasonable, and who knows if they are, a stash of 3,000 to 6,000 rounds would be about right. More than you have? Cheer up, it's a near certainty something other than gunfire will get you anyway.

http://www.woodpilereport.com/index.htm

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
*For each rifle, maybe. But I would be looking for more everyday.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
i always figured 2k minimum in battle type ammo (223/308/30-06/9mm/45acp).....5k minimum in preper type ammo (22lr/22mg/12ga/20ga) .....odd ball hunting ammo i buy when price is right

i want to note i said MINIMUM....lol...in reality i keep much more

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I seriously doubt that more than 100 rounds would ever be used in a gun fight - at least for me.
My ammo & powder stash is also a PM (Permanent Money)
I far exceed the minimums mentioned.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I seriously doubt that more than 100 rounds would ever be used in a gun fight - at least for me.
My ammo & powder stash is also a PM (Permanent Money)
I far exceed the minimums mentioned.
Nobody is going to be sitting in one place burning through your cases of wal mart ammo. You would be surrounded and dead in hours if not minutes.
Single shots and Apache style ambushes while moving moving moving will be more likely what happens. And lots of sabotage and booby traps.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
1k not much ammo, rather have more and not need it than have less and need it. Course it depends on how many other calibers you have too, don't guess you will get the same opinion from everyone.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Nobody is going to be sitting in one place burning through your cases of wal mart ammo. You would be surrounded and dead in hours if not minutes.
Single shots and Apache style ambushes while moving moving moving will be more likely what happens. And lots of sabotage and booby traps..

" ....your cases of wal mart ammo."
Irons, surely you jest !!!!
KISSER.gif

the_shootist

The war is here on our doorstep!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Single shots and Apache style ambushes while moving moving moving will be more likely what happens. And lots of sabotage and booby traps.

None of my ammo is from Walmart (just so you know) :belly laugh:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
None of my ammo is from Walmart (just so you know) :belly laugh:
My wal mart has awesome bulk ammo in stock, when peeps aren't freaking out and filling their basements with it. .
aroll.gif

Cases and cans of 223, 45, 9mm, 38/357, buckshot. 100 shell boxes of low brass 12 & 20 gauge for shooting skeet. Cheap too.
I think the sporting goods/ammo manager at that particular store listens to his customers.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
1 k of Ammo for your battle rifle is a start. Another 1k for your side arm to help you get to your rifle would be nice too.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
My wal mart has awesome bulk ammo in stock, when peeps aren't freaking out and filling their basements with it. . View attachment 89399
Cases and cans of 223, 45, 9mm, 38/357, buckshot. 100 shell boxes of low brass 12 & 20 gauge for shooting skeet. Cheap too.
I think the sporting goods/ammo manager at that particular store listens to his customers.

Maybe I should have said "You'll never find me in a Walmart buying ammo or anything else" I try and stay away from those places.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
And less we forget we should have many magazines already loaded ready to go, that would beget the question how many magazines should you have filled??

tom baxter

back from 2004
Statistically I would imagine that if you fired 1000 rounds at bad guys while trying to protect your property, a couple would have hit you in return. So you'll probably be dead long before you'd used your 1000 up. If on the other hand you were just sniping and then moving off to a completely new area I'd imagine 1000 would last many many years. The fortress mentality is well entrenched even in modern military planning but it has always proved a failure when an overwhelming opposing force musters.

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The people who have 100,000 rounds will end up giving it away to all the family and friends who laughed at you for prepping, but now they are at your bugout location chewing through your food and ammo supply.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I'm ready, when the gangs or MJTF barges in I'll exit firing and take out as many as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
1K of ammo will barely get you through a week at a Firearms Training camp.
An Appleseed shoot can use 500 rounds in two days of fun, Mud or Sun.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
48 bucks to ship 2000 rounds to NH. Me thinks not but this is the good stuff.
Still yet, it's around 32 cents per shipped like I mentioned.
I've yet to pay under 40 cents a pop for steel core locally.
Btw a few weeks back they shipped free if you bought 2 cans, might wanna keep an eye on it.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Still yet, it's around 32 cents per shipped like I mentioned.
I've yet to pay under 40 cents a pop for steel core locally.
Btw a few weeks back they shipped free if you bought 2 cans, might wanna keep an eye on it.
agreed, it in't cheap but it could be worse :)

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Spray & pray or shot placement, both have advantages.
I want accurate ammo ether way !
Factory ammo is no match for diligent reloading.
An ammo stash is just another form of a PM.

NEW RELOADING BENCH (Small).JPG

Just keep buying...$hit storm isn't far away. 6 months is the norm :laughing:

The cheap isn't cheap anymore. Crap is still selling for high prices. Buy the better stuff while you can.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
it's a near certainty something other than gunfire will get you anyway.[/QUOTE]

And then there is this statement that we all have ignored, with our testosterone driven replies !!
It's probably the most accurate statement in the whole article.
This is NOT to say that we should not prepare.

Garyw

The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure
Silver Miner
If more than one comes knocking on your door you will most likely use one bullet but if you are a good shot you may take someone with you.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
NOBODY should know your home as well as you and your family. Shoot while you are moving and MOVING for cover.
Get out of this "Movie Thinking" of - One Shot One Dead- especially with a handgun or pistol.
Shotgun - maybe but still send TWO or More.
BELIEVE ME LEOs will not send just one shot. Youtube & the NEWS has plenty of videos to prove it.

Sorry inscription for a Tombstone - "Trying to Save Ammo During a Home Invasion".

Take some Tactical Training. Why spend all this money for Self Defense or SHTF time Weapons and Ammo BUT you don't know how react WHEN T.S.DOES-H.T.F.

A lot of shooting ranges have Tactical Shooting Rooms and THERE are more and more competitions in Three Gun. Shoot and Move, Move and Shoot . Take some training ( CCW Class IS NOT Training). PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

IF you have the acreage and material make yourself a shooting gallery. PRACTICE AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Nothing wrong with Walmart ammo. I don't even know how many rounds of 5.56 I've got stashed around but recently at Walmart noticed nice little 500 round ammo boxes filled with 20 round boxes of Federal 55 gr 5.56 for about $170. Each 20 round box has a stripper clip too! There were two ammo boxes remaining so I grabbed both but when I turned around, there was a guy looking at me with a very pained expression. Must have caught me at a weak moment because I gave one to him. He was almost pathetically grateful.

I've been reloading for decades and have enough brass, primers, powder and bullets to assemble god knows how many rounds. I've only got a few hundred bullets in the 52 & 55 gr class, most of what I've got is heavier 69, 75 & 80 GR stuff for longer range. When I load for longer range extreme accuracy, I'll usually seat the bullets at about 20 thousandths short of jam, meaning the loaded rounds are too long to fit in a magazine. I have to single load. For any match that included rapid fire, I'd usually load 69's that would just barely fit in the mag.

If you have a good match grade AR, it's amazing how much better it shoots using custom tailored ammo. The AR below is my match AR, it has a Douglas barrel, a Jewell trigger and a few other bells and whistles. It shoots honest-to-god 1/2 MOA. It started life as a Colt H-Bar Match Elite. If I had to get in a fight using rifles, I think I like having the option of hitting within 3"-4" at 800 yards. I also have some custom built match rifles especially made for distance and with considerable more potent calibers.

The other AR pictured (a DPMS) is a bit more normal, no sense in trying for 1/2 MOA and it likes 55 grain Federals just fine. This picture was taken before it got optics.

Colt H Bar Match Elite
by Tom, on Flickr

AR15
by Tom, on Flickr

Last edited: