• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

I've always been told to never fall asleep with propane or kerosene heaters

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
So how do people deal with having to sleep at soms point? How kerp shelter warm? I know my uncle would fill the wood stove when everyone fell asleep and it would be embers and chilli in AM when have to refill again.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I never heard that, we let them run.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Like your uncle I get up in the morning and throw some wood on the embers. By the time coffee is ready it's already comfortable. At night I load the stove and walk down the hall to go to bed where it's at least 10 degrees cooler. I prefer to sleep when it's cooler though so it works out perfect.
Wood stove is my only source of heat other than the sun. The only time I have an issue is the brutal cold weather, like below 10 degrees for days on end. Thats when I sleep on the couch and get up and load the stove every 4 hrs or so.

Last few days was in the 50's and only going to mid 30's at night. No heat needed then. It was sunny during the day though.. The only exception to that would be on rainy days. Then need a fire for just a short while to take the dampness out.

Other than living down south close to the equator, I cant imagine heating with anything other than wood. By the time this winter is over I might go though 1 1/2 cord of wood. I can cut and split that in about 4 hrs.

I supplied 2 of my neighbors with wood this year. Both are going to use 10 truckloads. I'm trying to burn through 3. Thats the difference between a passive solar home and ones that aren't.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So how do people deal with having to sleep at soms point? How kerp shelter warm? I know my uncle would fill the wood stove when everyone fell asleep and it would be embers and chilli in AM when have to refill again.
In a tight room, a kero or propane heater will use up the oxygen & leave behind carbon monoxide.
Without a fresh air source, you are toast.
It's like a camp fire in your house without the smoke (since they burn cleaner).
You could get the same situation with a thousand candles.
Crack a window if in a SHTF situation.
A wood stove sends the CO outside so no indoor poison.

Use of a kerosene heater in an improperly ventilated home poses an extreme risk to life. If oxygen is burnt faster than the extraneous atmosphere can leak into the room to replenish the burnt oxygen, the proportion of carbon monoxide rapidly increases. Since the monoxide can not escape, any person in the room will fatally succumb to the poisonous gas. Human senses only detect an excess of carbon dioxide, and death occurs before any occupants of the room sense there is something amiss. Most manufacturers recommend that a window or door be left cracked open. Kerosene heaters should not be left unattended, especially when sleeping. A kerosene heater, as any heater that uses organic fuel, can produce dangerously high amounts of soot and carbon monoxide when running out of oxygen.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene_heater

SheepDog68

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I never slept with kerosene burning! Ventless heaters to me are slightly different in that I’ll run them to warm the house, but sleep in a closed bedroom with the window cracked open for fresh air! The ventless is thermostatically controlled and only comes on during early fall or late spring when I don’t have the coal stove running!

SD

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We heat with ventless blue flame heaters (propane) and wood stove. Never had a carbon monoxide detecter go off, but we test them and keep good batteries in them.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've slept in my motorhome for the past two years with unvented propane heaters. Just crack open a window a bit and have a good monoxide detector. I've been woke up at night by the detector when I forget to open a window.

bb
This. When I used propane at a hunting camp, I got the catalytic kind and used a carbon monoxide detector.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Used a kerosene heater in 70s to help heat the house, dam dirty , I also put a pot of water on it to keep humidity in the house

SheepDog68

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Carbon monoxide detectors fail so have more than one! I go so far as to have battery and plug in models running at all times. I never buy detectors that have the same lot numbers and I several different manufacturers.

SD

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Thanks for all the replies. So far I have just used the k-heater with window cracked and not when take nap. I do have I do have a carbon monoxide alarm plugged in with battery backup. Man they are getting expensive.

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
that would be for non vented heaters,

letting them run 'wild flame' warms a place up, but with a lacking vent system will put the hurt on you,

so it all depends on what you are referring to
It's non vented radiant 1-k heater. I usually crack the small bathroom window. I want to find an O2 and carbon monoxide hand held momnitor/meter.

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Like your uncle I get up in the morning and throw some wood on the embers. By the time coffee is ready it's already comfortable. At night I load the stove and walk down the hall to go to bed where it's at least 10 degrees cooler. I prefer to sleep when it's cooler though so it works out perfect.
Wood stove is my only source of heat other than the sun. The only time I have an issue is the brutal cold weather, like below 10 degrees for days on end. Thats when I sleep on the couch and get up and load the stove every 4 hrs or so.

Last few days was in the 50's and only going to mid 30's at night. No heat needed then. It was sunny during the day though.. The only exception to that would be on rainy days. Then need a fire for just a short while to take the dampness out.

Other than living down south close to the equator, I cant imagine heating with anything other than wood. By the time this winter is over I might go though 1 1/2 cord of wood. I can cut and split that in about 4 hrs.

I supplied 2 of my neighbors with wood this year. Both are going to use 10 truckloads. I'm trying to burn through 3. Thats the difference between a passive solar home and ones that aren't.
I wish wood were an option form my small home.

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I have a big buddy heater as a plan c but it requires running line out the bathroom window to 4lb propane tank. I bought 12 ft line. Still need to test it though.

So my heating plan is

1. Furnace if power avail (and furnace working, had failure in JAN (ignitor) on the bitter coldest day.
2. Radiant kerosene heaters (1 in living area and 1 in basement just to keep pipes flowing)
3. Big buddy propane with attachment to outdoor propane tank. Still need to test this set up so I know how to use and what to expect in terms of warmth when/if needed. I'm assuming outdoor propane tank can b used in SUB freezing temps

I was trying to determine how long I could heat my home If there was an extended power outage. I started the season at zero days. Then bought kerosene heater (3 weeks later actually needed it when furnace stopped working) and burned it in outdoors and in garage. When needed it I used 1-k fuel. I was pleasantly surprised to see 1 tank (1 gallon?) Lasted 12-15 hours. So increased home heating during extended outage to about 10 days.

Learned the hard way about good combustion (kerosene heater) versus using 1-k in an oil lamb (not good combustion). I'm very sensitive to odors and was pleasantly surprised at how clean burning the heater was initially (as long as start and stop outdoors which is kinda a pain but better than freezing).

I'm assuming the big buddy would add another 5-8 days (estimate since don't want to waste propane to verify burn rate. For those that use big buddy heaters when you disconnect (I'm not using the 1lb cylinders to heat home, unless desparate) do you recommend disconnecting from the big buddy or from the tank. I was thinking it would be better to leave the hose connected to tank in case outdoor temp make it difficult to connect, but then I thought the risk is moisture getting into hose left outside. So many things to consider.

The real eye opener is that even with all the steps I've taken to provide heat in an emergency I might get 15-20 days (if continuous operation) which is not much and is physically impacting after 24 hrs due to limited sleep while heaters running. Don't like being so reliant on the grid.

Now researching solar, anyone use solar to run a furnace/fan?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I heat my house with these......... https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664881_200664881

I can heat my house with 2 30k btu units. I use wood to really heat the house up, its 78 in there now. When the power goes out, they still work. You do not lose gas pressure when power goes out, if on natural gas. I use propane, and have 3 1k gallon tanks saddled together. My house is 3400 sq ft. I would run a line, and hang one of these on the wall in a central place in your house. You might not even need a 30k btu unit if your house is small, could buy a smaller one A plumber can run the line for you, and might install the heater as well.

When the power goes out here, and it does, we dont bat an eye. Our heating is not dependent on electricity. I do have a furnace, but the breaker is off, and the gas valve to it is closed. Has been since we moved in. The only reason I didnt rip it out and use the room as a cellar, is because having a furnace makes selling the house easier.

I use the same heater in my shop, and have 2 extras on hand if one breaks down and needs serviced.

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I heat my house with these......... https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664881_200664881

I can heat my house with 2 30k btu units. I use wood to really heat the house up, its 78 in there now. When the power goes out, they still work. You do not lose gas pressure when power goes out, if on natural gas. I use propane, and have 3 1k gallon tanks saddled together. My house is 3400 sq ft. I would run a line, and hang one of these on the wall in a central place in your house. You might not even need a 30k btu unit if your house is small, could buy a smaller one A plumber can run the line for you, and might install the heater as well.

When the power goes out here, and it does, we dont bat an eye. Our heating is not dependent on electricity. I do have a furnace, but the breaker is off, and the gas valve to it is closed. Has been since we moved in. The only reason I didnt rip it out and use the room as a cellar, is because having a furnace makes selling the house easier.

I use the same heater in my shop, and have 2 extras on hand if one breaks down and needs serviced.
Thank you. I'm definitely interested since it doesn't require venting(means a good night sleep). I'm in town so only propane I can use is 4-8lb tanks. But could be another option to add some days in case of outage. Thanks.

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter

I think maybe 2-3 of these is all I need for 1500 sq ft. Thanks for sharing your experience with this type heater.

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
There are ventless natural gas heaters as well. I assume you have natural gas if you live in town.
Yes. That is why this interests me. Wish I was aware of this prior to buying the kero heater.