• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Let’s talk billfolds

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
What are members carrying??? I have always carried a trifold that rivals George Costanza’s 2” thick monster. Obviously hurts the hip and back now that I crossed the age of 40. Way too much useless crap in my wallet.

Looking to go thin and minimalist to fit in front pocket. Ideally I will carry my drivers license, my CCW,my lifetime hunting license, my CU debit card, an emergency credit card and my health insurance card. Obviously will carry some cash ($100– $200 max). Been looking at some online and found some I like.

Figure members here have went through the same process so asking to weigh in...card wallet only??? Card wallet with integrated money clip? What is in your pocket??

I am leaning towards the Trayvax Ascent but willing to listen to other options I missed.

https://www.trayvax.com/

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have a metal one and ditched it almost instantly because it was going to destroy my cards. Ended up with one from amazon called the Shark. I like the Shark, and I carry about the same amount of crap as you.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
I carry a tin of snoozs but most of the time I have it in my shirt pocket....oh, billfold....nope, ain;t had one of them like, like for years. Money yes, cards no, chew? can't remember where I set it down, and a wallet/billfold would be the same.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My wallet started giving me sciatica so I switched to one of those money clip/ID holder jobs and never looked back. At the time working in NYC , taking the rail road, subways along with lots of active pick pockets keeping the money clip in my front pants pocket prevented lots of grief.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I carry a RFID blocking leather bifold - carry my cash in my front pocket. Like all wallets, they end up with too much stuff after awhile.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Wallet always in the front pocket. Better for the hip, and harder to pick pocket.

I like a bifold Italian oil stained leather. As thin as possible and very smooth. I have been carrying the same Carlo Amboldi wallet since 1997.

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I too, have spent most of my life lugging around a wallet that's akin to carrying around half a brick all day long. Been carrying only a money clip with my DL, one CC and a few bills every chance I get. So much better.

What I have is similar to this. I've got the first incarnation of the Walking Liberty Half, the style has changed quite bit . Mine is is much more minimalist, does not show any of that long "arm" of gold. Mine's just the bi toned coin and a clip. The company was named Cartwheels. They got bought by someone else and closed in the late 90s. I've had it for close to 32 years now and I've never had any problem with it.

http://www.coin-jewelry.com/moneyclips.html

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I carry a RFID blocking leather bifold - carry my cash in my front pocket. Like all wallets, they end up with too much stuff after awhile.
How does one confirm RFID blocking capabilities. The one I am looking at claims to have that feature, at least according to a youtuber that reps it?

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
How does one confirm RFID blocking capabilities
I don't think you can.
I put my cards that have RFID, in the micro for 9 seconds. That burns the RFID chip & exposes the antenna.
It still scans OK.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I can't carry a wallet in the back pocket. Half assed ya know thanks to atrophy. Cash is separated in front pockets. Billfold holds IDs, insurance card,receipts from card purchases and that rides in jacket or if I have to carry it with me, front pocket.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
DCAEE662-B6CE-42B5-AABC-DCCD225D5875.jpeg

Polare Men's RFID Blocking Cowboy Genuine Natural Crazy Horse Leather Bifold Wallet

I don’t see how or why it would be rfid blocking. But I like it because it’s a bifold and it has a zipper compartment.

I keep two wallets. One hidden away and holds a whole bunch of cash in the zipper compartment, also keep a spare drivers license and a passport card and credit card; and the other I carry and just has spending money for the day, a debit card that has about $200 and my license.

Last edited:

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
This thread made me do it. My wallet has been falling apart for a while, so I pulled the trigger and ordered a new one. It should last the rest of my life based upon my current usage record.

Bellroy Hide and Seek (Lo, Java):

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
You know those thin plastic wallets the insurance company gives away? One of those.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
This thread made me do it. My wallet has been falling apart for a while, so I pulled the trigger and ordered a new one. It should last the rest of my life based upon my current usage record.

hmmm, the logo is almost like your avatar. Looks like a nice wallet.

[/QUOTE]

mayhem

Другая перспектива
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Don't like billfolds. Wife bought me something like this at a flee market years ago. Thin, hard to get cards out of but that's OK cause I rarely use them. Kinda looks like this but in black. Left front pocket carry. Right front pocket carry's the KelTek .380. Warm down here, and the less clothes and accessory's the better.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I picked up a German RFID blocking wallet from Braun Buffel last time I was in Hamburg. If I put my work badge inside the protected zone I cannot get into the building. Assuming the same protect is for my RFID enabled debit cards.
It looks like this, https://www.braunbuffel.com/us/men/small-leather-goods/wallets/delos-flap-up-wallet-with-coin.html

How does one confirm RFID blocking capabilities. The one I am looking at claims to have that feature, at least according to a youtuber that reps it?
I keep it at 1/2"-3/4" thick or I get that old guy kink in the back.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Don't like billfolds. Wife bought me something like this at a flee market years ago. Thin, hard to get cards out of but that's OK cause I rarely use them. Kinda looks like this but in black. Left front pocket carry. Right front pocket carry's the KelTek .380. Warm down here, and the less clothes and accessory's the better.

This is what I have in my pocket. I've beaten two of them into submission over the last 12+ years (rough use). Well worth the money.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I was reading the FAQ page on the Trayvax site. It says that by placing cards back to back you are able to create enough “noise and interference” to offer 95% rfid protection. The wallet I am looking at has some metal in it so tgat helps too, but I imaging the back to back orientation would apply to any wallet type

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
20180203_184427.jpg

My wife bought this when we were out in Leadville Colorado a few years ago.
I treasure it. Buffalo leather. I like how it smells. Holds together exceptionally well.

If only I had any money to put in it.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Kids bought me one of the metals ones that block scanners, I only carry dl, cwp, medicare and pacemaker card and two credit cards.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I realized that my wallet was messing up my low back when I was about twenty, I guess. That little bit, or lotta bit of mass back there presses on your sciatic nerve, I guess and causes a lot of discomfort, so started putting my wallet in my front pocket and I've carried it there ever since. It's tougher to pickpocket, too.

For the past six or seven years, maybe, I've been carrying this thing called a slimfold wallet. It's made out of tyvek, the same stuff that USPS and Fedex uses to make flat mailers out of. It's tough and light and very thin. All I need is space for about ten cards, or so and a few FRN's, so this thing is perfect. There's slots for four cards, or so, up front and slots in the back for about 3-4 cards on either side. They're actually handmade here in the United States, handsewn actually. They show a bit of wear after awhile, but hold up surprisingly well. I like the black ones and blue, also. The paper ones run $20.
Stitched SlimFold(TM)Tyvek® Wallet-MICRO (Black and Gray ___(1).jpg
Tyvek - SlimFold Wallet.jpg

They also have a model made from this tough, flexible fabric. They're more expensive and thicker. I stick with the paper ones. And you can get any of them with RFID blocking.
SlimFold™ Wallet _ 70mph crash-tested Soft Shell and Tyvek ___.jpg

Last edited:

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
When I was in the Army, and still when I travel, I carry a hang around the neck wallet. For daily use I have a trifold my son gave me about 10 or more years ago. I clean it every six months as it becomes too thick or full. Works for me.

chrisflhtc

Seeker
Site Supporter ++
Here's what I got a few years ago I will probably never wear it out. As long as I don't load it up with crap it is thin enough to be comfortable

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Roll over image to zoom in

Ogon
Ogon Big Stockholm Aluminum RFID Blocking Wallet - Dark Grey

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
When I was in the Army, and still when I travel, I carry a hang around the neck wallet. For daily use I have a trifold my son gave me about 10 or more years ago. I clean it every six months as it becomes too thick or full. Works for me.
I've got the neck one and the inside the pants money belt for travel. I've carried the legal max in S. America with one and never had a problem.

money belt.jpg
money belt 1.jpg

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've got the neck one and the inside the pants money belt for travel. I've carried the legal max in S. America with one and never had a problem.

View attachment 98619 View attachment 98620
My first neck wallet was basically a pocket with a button to hold the flap closed, and a long cloth bit for around the neck. It is dark blue with Mayan thread decoration on it. I bought it from a pretty Mayan girl deep in the jungle at a tiny village market, back around 1983 or so. It fit my passport perfectly so I used it for a long time, until I discovered the type you have in your picture. Now I have some money and other stuff to put in it, so the "upgrade" makes sense. If I can dig it up I'll post a picture.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
For the past six or seven years, maybe, I've been carrying this thing called a slimfold wallet. It's made out of tyvek, the same stuff that USPS and Fedex uses to make flat mailers out of. It's tough and light and very thin. All I need is space for about ten cards, or so and a few FRN's, so this thing is perfect. There's slots for four cards, or so, up front and slots in the back for about 3-4 cards on either side. They're actually handmade here in the United States, handsewn actually. They show a bit of wear after awhile, but hold up surprisingly well. I like the black ones and blue, also. The paper ones run $20.

They also have a model made from this tough, flexible fabric. They're more expensive and thicker. I stick with the paper ones. And you can get any of them with RFID blocking. View attachment 98576
This is awesome. I like the fabric version (charcoal/orange). I wish I could justify owning two wallets. $45, and it looks indestructible (as long as the stitching holds up -- they should use nylon thread).

However... imagine this:

You are taking an important prospective client out to lunch/dinner... you whip out your Slimfold (TM) Wallet to cover the meal... does it look impressive enough? It is important to look successful if you want to inspire confidence in others to do business with you.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
This is awesome. I like the fabric version (charcoal/orange). I wish I could justify owning two wallets. $45, and it looks indestructible (as long as the stitching holds up -- they should use nylon thread).

However... imagine this:

You are taking an important prospective client out to lunch/dinner... you whip out your Slimfold (TM) Wallet to cover the meal... does it look impressive enough? It is important to look successful if you want to inspire confidence in others to do business with you.

I'll tell you the truth. I'm not that kind of guy and I have no desire to make people think I'm successful. If I pull out my little paper wallet and pay for lunch and people aren't appreciative, I don't want to know them.

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
That looks like a sporty carry. I don't like how that chip is peeking out at me though!

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Already thought that one through...no money cards up front....just my CCW and lifetime hunting license and possible DL. The RFID protection is in the center pocket.

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
My wallet is 7 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 when closed.... 15 1/2 x 7 1/2 when open. Both back (hidden) sides have zipper pockets (full size Euro banknotes). Don't know anybody else with such a big wallet... Usually women carry them in their purses I think...

Holds all my stuff (my "office")... Passports, ID cards, medical cards, bank cards, vehicle registrations & insurace, licences, checkbook, cash. Guaranteed to feel if a pickpocket is trying to lift it ;)

Phone & glasses (to show dimensions) fit in shirt pocket...

Nothing in back pockets since my 20's... lost wallets when riding bikes/motorcycles, and sciatica...

I buy baggy oversize carpenter or cargo pants... fits in front left pocket. They used to call me "Pockets" at work, haha! Front right pocket holds change & keys, & if you need a knife or a bottle opener or a corkscrew or nail-clippers, tape measure or earplugs, I have them on me... . Trouser pockets contents =

(P.S. - need a good belt, haha!)

20180210_084630 -2.jpg

Here's one pretending to be almost as big:
https://www.amazon.com/R-F-I-D-Bike...sd=1&keywords=large+trifold+checkbook+wallets

Last edited:

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So, here are my initial impressions and review:

1. Slow shipping. I ordered directly from the manufacturer because it was actually cheaper to do that than Amazon or Ebay. The next day I was notified that my package was shipped via FedEx. However, it arrived via USPS (with a USPS label)... 11 days after I ordered it. You would think for a $90 wallet they could do better than that.

2. The credit card slots (number and size) are perfect for what I need to carry, and the size is just right for my front pocket.

3. The leather does not feel high quality. It isn't very supple (feels slick like "pleather" with a rough texture). I expected something with an excellent texture. Maybe the grade of leather was chosen for durability and it will break in.

4. The little metal owl symbol should have been embossed in the leather. I can imagine that it is going to snag going in and out of my pocket. Also is leaves a raise bump on the front of my pants. Not a big deal, but I notice.

5. The flap over the secret pockets in the cash part of the wallet is a little too short -- cash gets snagged under it and pulls it up when extracted. So much for the secret!

6. Otherwise the craftsmanship looks good, and it is an attractive wallet in style and color.

7. I opted not to get the RFID blocking version. I go to a 24-hour gym that is accessed by a proximity card. It is nice to just wave my wallet to get in.

I was sad to throw away my worn out Carlo Amboldi wallet (Italian leather -- purchased at "The Leather Loft" outlet store in 1997). It had a great smooth texture and it was shaped like my leg. It might take a while for the new one to feel natural.