• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Local Coin Show Report

I have a table at a local coin show tomorrow. Early this week, when silver inched past $19, I assembled several items to put out for sale—Walking Liberty halves, some nice RMC Buffalo rounds, Barber dimes, a 1-pound and half-pound silver coin, a few Morgans, etc. Then the metals tanked and my for sale inventory changed dramatically.

Had I not spoken for a table, I wouldn’t bother to be a seller at the show at all. But because I had committed to buying a table, I brought out some numismatic stuff—a 1909-s VDB, 09-s, 24-d and a bunch of other Lincoln cents. I put some nice Barber halves into cardboard folders and priced them out, and I have some junk I need to get rid of.

BUT—all the good silver stock is staying in the safety deposit boxes. It wouldn’t surprise me if other dealers or hobby sellers like me are doing the same and saving their inventories of good silver coins and bars. We may see some absentee inventories over the next couple of weeks. I know no good silver of mine will be on the market until things improve.

We’ll see how the coin show goes tomorrow. Maybe I’ll follow up with a report.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Put out the other stuff and price it for what you want due to the numi value. If nobody bites so what...you already bought the table.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
W
I have a table at a local coin show tomorrow. Early this week, when silver inched past $19, I assembled several items to put out for sale—Walking Liberty halves, some nice RMC Buffalo rounds, Barber dimes, a 1-pound and half-pound silver coin, a few Morgans, etc. Then the metals tanked and my for sale inventory changed dramatically.

Had I not spoken for a table, I wouldn’t bother to be a seller at the show at all. But because I had committed to buying a table, I brought out some numismatic stuff—a 1909-s VDB, 09-s, 24-d and a bunch of other Lincoln cents. I put some nice Barber halves into cardboard folders and priced them out, and I have some junk I need to get rid of.

BUT—all the good silver stock is staying in the safety deposit boxes. It wouldn’t surprise me if other dealers or hobby sellers like me are doing the same and saving their inventories of good silver coins and bars. We may see some absentee inventories over the next couple of weeks. I know no good silver of mine will be on the market until things improve.

We’ll see how the coin show goes tomorrow. Maybe I’ll follow up with a report.
What are you looking to get for the VBD?

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Wear your mask & goggles & plastic gloves... Then lysol everything before packing it back up... yikes!

The coin show went about as expected. Silver rounds were as low as $17, the same as common Peace dollars. Morgans were $18 and up. Some silver rounds were priced at $22 to $25 (Philharmonics, etc.), but I wasn't around those tables to see if any were sold (I doubt few were).

The hit of the show at our table were the Trump coins my son had for sale. They went like hot cakes at $6 a pop. Another table had them at $10--not bad for a cost of $1.50 in quantity. It was nice to see a crowd of people who like our prez!

I had some nice Lincolns reasonably priced, including a raw S-VDB in strictly fine condition for just over 600 bucks. I was surprised that I had no-zero-zip-nada people looking for Lincoln cents. I didn't think they would be interesting to a lot of folks; but to not have a single Lincoln collector all day was an eye opener for me (I'll be auctioning them--see below). I sold some mid-range Morgans and Barber halves, and I bought a 1889 CC to flip later. I also had a container with common Barber dimes at $1.50 each, and sold a bunch. One guy bought 30, another guy handed me $60 and said, "Give me $60 worth." More surprising, I had a couple of rolls of war nickels that sold early for around spot. I just wanted to get a few bucks out of them to reinvest in stuff I want.

Another surprise was a man who came by asking if we had any 40% Kennedy's. I have a few pounds of them, but had left them at home due to the hammering silver just received.

The best part of the coin show was the people we met with collections to sell. My son has an on-line auction company, dealing with jewelry and some coins. I do some of the coins auctions for him. Anyway, we may have landed a couple-three collections--BIG collections, including GSA Morgans, trade dollars, key Indian cents, etc. We'll see how things pan out. Just selling a few coins at the show was okay, but the potential with the collections was what we went for. It was also good to spend some time with my son. :2 thumbs up:

Last edited:

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Do you do the auctions on eBay

Thanks for asking. I do some 'bay auctions; but mostly sell through my son's on-line sales through k-bid dot com. A new coin auction should be ready in another 3-4 weeks, as he's going on vacation next week. A large portion of the sales are shipped, with many out-of-state.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
safety deposit boxes
Rethink your "not safe deposit" box.
The IRS has access without your consent/knowledge.
The bank is only open less than 30% of the week for your access.
Find a safe place at home, you then have 24/7/365 access, w/o anyone else having access.

I PM'd Taezzar on this, and we had a good discussion. Just know--this ain't my first county fair.

I decided to let ya'll in on part of that discussion: When I started to post on GIM, I started to get emails about home security systems. I even had one guy call me who offered a free home security system because, "They were interested in expanding into (my) market area." Yeah--right!

I see how many of you provided a thumbs up to Taezzar's deposit box post. Your applause is wasted on me--my PM's are more secure than I can discuss here. Just know this--our forum is infiltrated. You need to protect yourself and whatever stack you have, more so than those who just lurk. My little stack isn't at my home. I also do not trust a SDB. To get to my stuff, small as it may be (a Kennedy 40% and two war nickels), someone would find themselves in a most defenseless position.

Just don't give me the little "pat on the head" with the SDB redo. AND--protect your jewels as if the whole world is watching.

Thanks again, Taezzar, for a good discussion off-site. It gave me the opportunity to provide the above.

savvydon

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I PM'd Taezzar on this, and we had a good discussion. Just know--this ain't my first county fair.

I decided to let ya'll in on part of that discussion: When I started to post on GIM, I started to get emails about home security systems. I even had one guy call me who offered a free home security system because, "They were interested in expanding into (my) market area." Yeah--right!

I see how many of you provided a thumbs up to Taezzar's deposit box post. Your applause is wasted on me--my PM's are more secure than I can discuss here. Just know this--our forum is infiltrated. You need to protect yourself and whatever stack you have, more so than those who just lurk. My little stack isn't at my home. I also do not trust a SDB. To get to my stuff, small as it may be (a Kennedy 40% and two war nickels), someone would find themselves in a most defenseless position.

Just don't give me the little "pat on the head" with the SDB redo. AND--protect your jewels as if the whole world is watching.

Thanks again, Taezzar, for a good discussion off-site. It gave me the opportunity to provide the above.
I hear ya. Good luck finding my closely guarded mercury dime which resides at the bottom of an unnamed and uncharted lake.

Last edited:

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
there'll be lots of boat trailers but no boats...

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
As much as I 'hang out' here I came 'late to the game'...

Living on a fixed income doesn't allow for much in the way of PM purchases. Once the mortgage is paid off, I'll really jump in with 2 feet... but that's a ways off for me. Hopefully, silver gets manipulated for a few more years....

"Property poor" is a term meaning can't even buy pizza. "Pizza poor" means you can't buy a pizza!

Silver is still the poor man's gold! Dollar cost averaging is the way to go IMO.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
As much as I 'hang out' here I came 'late to the game'...

Living on a fixed income doesn't allow for much in the way of PM purchases. Once the mortgage is paid off, I'll really jump in with 2 feet... but that's a ways off for me. Hopefully, silver gets manipulated for a few more years....

"Property poor" is a term meaning can't even buy pizza. "Pizza poor" means you can't buy a pizza!

Silver is still the poor man's gold! Dollar cost averaging is the way to go IMO.
GH, silver seems to be looking to have a brighter future than gold. JMHO - DYODD :don't know:

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
At my local monthly show in a city of 1.5M it was just biz as usual. Same faces not much new blood. I asked a dealer weather he expected better because if the high gold price he said not really and chalked it up to corona fear. We had nice weather so that may have been a factor.