• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Locked rotor amp reduction

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Will installing a hard start kit on my AC reduce the LRA? Wanting to get new generator as small as possible and as we know the AC is the biggest draw on startup.

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Take a look at this product: https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters .

I think some of its claims are exaggerated, but it has enough good reviews on RV forums that I have to believe it's for real and actually works pretty well. You just have to watch out for the trap of being able to start the air conditioner then not having enough generator to keep it running. Consider that the air conditioner needs more power when it's hot, the head pressure builds for a few minutes after it's started, and the generator output goes down with increased altitude and higher temps.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I would think it depends on the capacitor that's in the hard start kit. If you can divert the LRA to the capacitor, then the draw on the generator will not spike beyond its capability.

I should get a hard start kit for my RV, about 50% of the time my 13,500 BTU (~1.1 ton) AC will kick the generator into self-preservation mode and shut itself off. (Honda EU3000iS)

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Very interesting, wondering if its not just a souped up hard start kit, Im going to have to get a amp probe and find out my start and run amps on the compressor and air handler ,good hard start kit is around 50 bucks, wondering what would happen if you used two in parallel circuit

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Why not install a "time delay on" for the compressor? Start the generator, throw the breaker on, ten seconds later the AC compressor is energized. That way you're not turning on the AC compressor at the same time as everything else in the house. The AC fan is already running smooth before the compressor kicks on. If the condensing unit has a single relay for both the fan and compressor, you can install a time delay relay on the fan to give it a few seconds.
Just a thought.

tigerwillow1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Very interesting, wondering if its not just a souped up hard start kit, Im going to have to get a amp probe and find out my start and run amps on the compressor and air handler ,good hard start kit is around 50 bucks, wondering what would happen if you used two in parallel circuit
The soft start product limits the current delivered to the air conditioner. Using a microprocessor controlled triac, I assume. The first few startups are said to be a learning mode, where it programs itself for the fastest startup sequence using the available power source.