• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Magical Eco-Friendly Hobbit Homes Can Be Buried In Your Backyard

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Can't bury anything lower than 6 feet in most of Florida. Quonsets used to be cheap war surplus. Lots of them converted to homes and garages in the Keys.

The "Buried" headling is a bit misleading. It looks like they actually build a foundation at ground level and then backfill dirt over the prefab structure . It's not buried in the sense that they dig a hole and place the prefab below ground level. It's buried in the sense that they cover it with dirt. Looks like it might be a cheaper alternative to a monolithic poured concrete shell (MPCS). And possibly can be built in places where the soil conditions can't support the weight of a MPCS. However, I see on the manufacturer site: "High durability (50+ years)." That's all?

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The "Buried" headling is a bit misleading.
There is already a term to describe them...."earth sheltered" homes. But marketing people always use whatever terminology suits their agenda.
Seems like it would be expensive to plumb, wire and finish this kind of structure.
Another consideration is how to get the dirt positioned on top and contoured without damaging the structure. Long reach excavator and then excavator rake attachment?

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Curious about price. There website didn't have any, but I searched the name and price and found this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 11.46.18 PM.png

I looked at ESHs a long time ago. I remember getting some quotes back then and you have to qualify them. Does that quote cover just the installation of the structure, or the complete finishing of the interior? The ESH company I talked to at the time quoted just the structure - installing the shell, waterproofing, "burying" with dirt, etc. but they didn't quote any interior work (walls/shelving, interior doors, lighting, appliances, etc.).