• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Majic jack on fritz

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Had xfinity internet, direct tv, just switched to xfinty for all , they boosted my signal supposedly to 150 from 50, now majic jack dont work, it says no line, the only way it works is if i plug into computer, i had it plugged into the modem before, majici jack support claims i need 5060-5070 ports open on my motorola router , makes no sense to me as i have same router and same internet provider, any thoughts??

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I've had magic jack for many years. I was never able to get it to work plugged into the modem or router, only by USB to the PC. I talked to their tech support a few times, but their tricks didn't work. I'll just live with it plugged into the PC.

Last edited:

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
how many ip addresses does your router allow? Can you log into the router and see?

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Catch you later, backs kicking my butt, thanks for effort

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Unh, that should be your router address.
do you know anything about command prompt?
oh, before I try to help here, are you using windoze 10? Because I'm on win7
it's in the 'Accessories' group
Run it and you will get a screen like this:
CMD.jpg
On the keyboard type IPCONFIG and hit enter.
should get a screen full of crap like this:
IPCONFIG.JPG

The one labeled Default Gateway should be your router's IP address. You can log into this device and do bad stuff.
So — type in HTTP:// — whatever that number is on your screen and see if you get a login screen.
I'll be back
BF

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Oh, goggle search... DUH
ya didn't type in the HTTP://
Right?

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Unh, that should be your router address.
It very well could be. Or it could be *.*.1.1

Or it could be that his browser is set to do a typed url search. Ie: typing anything in the addy bar results in search results from that browser's default search engine.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The address I pointed out is a normal 10-net arrangement. The word normal is key. IDK but things might be different with a customized framework, and lots of things have changed (DUH) in the last three years since I was actively workin on this sort of stuff.

And the "Default Gateway" IS the address to your router regardless of the framework you are using. The screen shot is from the machine I am using right now. And, yer right, joe, it could be *.*.1.1 and then the machine IP would (in my case here) 192.168.1.4. Or you ain't talkin to no one. It is called "Gateway" for a reason.

BF

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
OK, southfork I assume you gave it up

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
OK, southfork I assume you gave it up
Sorry, been debating on buying a new modem/router, the one i have now wont give me the blast internet speed im supposed to have. Sorry I didnt get back to you. I have my majic jack pluged into the desktop in the office for now till i make up my mind, i went to look at some modems and they tell me now they are not modem/routers like i have now , I have to buy a modem and a router , trying to figure all this out, hate to buy them and have the same issue i have now.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Sorry, been debating on buying a new modem/router, the one i have now wont give me the blast internet speed im supposed to have. Sorry I didnt get back to you. I have my majic jack pluged into the desktop in the office for now till i make up my mind, i went to look at some modems and they tell me now they are not modem/routers like i have now , I have to buy a modem and a router , trying to figure all this out, hate to buy them and have the same issue i have now.
Is the modem/router you are using the isp's, or did you buy it yourself? What is its model number?

Because in reading your op, it sure sounds like the isp changed something in your modem/router settings.

Had xfinity internet, direct tv, just switched to xfinty for all , they boosted my signal supposedly to 150 from 50, now majic jack dont work, it says no line, the only way it works is if i plug into computer, i had it plugged into the modem before, majici jack support claims i need 5060-5070 ports open on my motorola router , makes no sense to me as i have same router and same internet provider, any thoughts??
If it's all the same equipment and it used to work before you had your isp upgrade your service, they had to have changed something in the settings.
...and if you don't own your modem/router, you may not have the ability to change it back.

If you own your router, see if it can be flashed with DD-WRT
DD-WRT supported devices

If not, a mfg refurbished one of these can be had for $35 and it's said to one of the best for using DD-WRT

What Is DD-WRT Firmware?
DD-WRT is a Linux-based firmware project developed to enhance the performance and features of wireless Internet routers. This open-source firmware upgrade is developed for specific router models and used as a replacement for the inconsistent stock firmware. Modifying a router to DD-WRT lifts restrictions built in to the default firmware, providing advanced capabilities to make your Internet and Home Network more controllable and versatile.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Its mine , model is Motorola SBG6580
I don't think dd-wrt will work, but I found this. If true, you might wanna get a new one regardless.

Backdoor accounts with hard-coded passwords?

Multiple Flaws Found in Motorola’s Surfboard SBG6580 Cable Modem

GO
Attack exploits backdoor support account, CSRF and XSS flaws
Apr 9, 2015 14:15 GMT · By Ionut Ilascu ·
Share:
Vulnerabilities have been found in Surfboard SBG6580 series cable modem manufactured by Motorola Home (now owned by ARRIS), which allow an attacker to take complete control of the device; one of the flaws is a backdoor account with hard-coded credentials designed for technician support.
The modem has a four-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch and integrates an advanced firewall. It is intended as a complete solution for home users’ networking needs.
Internal IP address needed to carry out the attack
Researchers at Rapid7 have tested the device and discovered that its security can be bypassed by exploiting a set of three vulnerabilities. Apart from the backdoor account, the list also includes persistent cross-site scripting (XSS) and CSRF (cross-site request forgery) flaws.
Taking advantage of the glitches permits the threat actor to gain access to the device remotely, even if the victim is not authenticated in the web-based administrative interface.
All the attacker needs to know is the internal gateway IP address, whose default value (192.168.0.1) often remains unchanged.
“It's important to stress that, taken separately, these vulnerabilities are not all that unusual for embedded devices with web management interfaces. Taken together, though, an attacker can perform malicious network reconfigurations,” Rapid7’s Tod Beardsley wrote on Wednesday.

Since there is no CSRF protection (CVE-2015-0965) present for the device’s log-in page, an arbitrary website can initiate the authentication action on behalf of the user.
The presence of pre-installed accounts (CVE-2015-0966) with preset passwords is widely known in the case of these routers. The products tested by the researchers came with “technician” as the username and employed “yZgO8Bvj” as the password.

After logging in, the attacker can exploit the persistent XSS flaw in the configuration page for the firewall to inject malicious JavaScript code, which would permit running any supported commands
https://news.softpedia.com/news/Mul...-s-Surfboard-SBG6580-Cable-Modem-478071.shtml

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I don't think dd-wrt will work, but I found this. If true, you might wanna get a new one regardless.

Backdoor accounts with hard-coded passwords?

Multiple Flaws Found in Motorola’s Surfboard SBG6580 Cable Modem

GO
Attack exploits backdoor support account, CSRF and XSS flaws
Apr 9, 2015 14:15 GMT · By Ionut Ilascu ·
Share:
Vulnerabilities have been found in Surfboard SBG6580 series cable modem manufactured by Motorola Home (now owned by ARRIS), which allow an attacker to take complete control of the device; one of the flaws is a backdoor account with hard-coded credentials designed for technician support.
The modem has a four-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch and integrates an advanced firewall. It is intended as a complete solution for home users’ networking needs.
Internal IP address needed to carry out the attack
Researchers at Rapid7 have tested the device and discovered that its security can be bypassed by exploiting a set of three vulnerabilities. Apart from the backdoor account, the list also includes persistent cross-site scripting (XSS) and CSRF (cross-site request forgery) flaws.
Taking advantage of the glitches permits the threat actor to gain access to the device remotely, even if the victim is not authenticated in the web-based administrative interface.
All the attacker needs to know is the internal gateway IP address, whose default value (192.168.0.1) often remains unchanged.
“It's important to stress that, taken separately, these vulnerabilities are not all that unusual for embedded devices with web management interfaces. Taken together, though, an attacker can perform malicious network reconfigurations,” Rapid7’s Tod Beardsley wrote on Wednesday.

Since there is no CSRF protection (CVE-2015-0965) present for the device’s log-in page, an arbitrary website can initiate the authentication action on behalf of the user.
The presence of pre-installed accounts (CVE-2015-0966) with preset passwords is widely known in the case of these routers. The products tested by the researchers came with “technician” as the username and employed “yZgO8Bvj” as the password.

After logging in, the attacker can exploit the persistent XSS flaw in the configuration page for the firewall to inject malicious JavaScript code, which would permit running any supported commands.
https://news.softpedia.com/news/Mul...-s-Surfboard-SBG6580-Cable-Modem-478071.shtml

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Thanks , given the price of a new one with a separate router I may be better off just leasing one for 10 a month, seems the purchase price of around 189 plus then I need a router puts me at 300+