• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Menards and its 11% rebate program

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Anyone that has a local Menards knows about their 11% off rebates that they seem to run every 3-4 weeks. I try to time purchases to take advantage of it when I can. It does come in real nice on big lumber and material projects that can cost $1000 or more (deck projects, windows, siding, roofing all come to mind). Granted the rebates are for future in-store purchases, but that does not bother me as I always seem to have the urge/need to go there for another project.

Now here is my thought/scheme/plan....in store credit is nice, but I imagine alot of people would just as soon have cash. What would be wrong to sit out in the backing lot with $500 cash on a Saturday during rebate time and buy the rebate reciepts from people for 50 cents on the dollar and walk away with $1000 in rebates to use on you next BIG project of say $2000...which you wait and buy the materials during the next rebate week...all of a sudden that $2000 project is now being done and completed with the $1000 rebates and the new $220 rebate you just got. Sure Mendards would frown on that, but I doubt it is illegal...no different then selling giftcards to resell shops....

Would you be willing to give up your $30 in store rebate for $15 cash in hand?

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Home Deeeee-Pot and (not so) Lowe's also do the 11% rebate, in selected locations only. Check their web sites for info.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I like how you think, Rusty. There might be some legal prohibition on selling/buying them. Not sure.

I have an uncle who always gets whatever is available "Free with rebate". He then uses the rebate certificates to buy what he needs. At Christmas he has a closet full of "Free with rebate" stuff, and he fills bags for everyone present on Christmas day -- labels them "From Santa."

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I would read the rules carefully, but it sounds like a good idea. Menards can link the rebate info with the credit card info of the customer, if they want to. Also, they could note an impossible number of checkouts for one person (if they wanted to). But do they care? Dunno.

In a way, you would be providing an incentive for those who would not be influenced by the rebate. Oh, some guy is offering 5.5% in cash for what I spend today.

I like the Menards rebate because they subtract it from the total BEFORE calculating sales tax.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Lowe’s also gives vets 10% off and I think they’ve let me stack it with their promotial discounts. Upfront vet reserved spots keep me coming back. I do like Menards but not a huge fan of Homer Depot.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Home Depot will actually give an 11% rebate on all purchases in its stores when Menards does in markets where they compete with Menards. I generally keep a list of items I will use in my rental properties and save for a Menards week which generally comes once a month.
Here is the current 11% rebate match listing that incidentally includes this week.
https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/#/home

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Unless you mean buying the coupons people have already gotten back? they come in the mail with a name on them. I know one guy who compounds them by using them to get another 11% over and over again....

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Unless you mean buying the coupons people have already gotten back?
No, the idea is to stand in the parking lot and buy the rebate receipts from customers as they leave the store. At the bottom of the receipt is another "receipt" for the rebate. Cut that part off and put it (them) in an envelope with your rebate claim form (your name & address).

1. Customer checks out.
2. Customer comes to you with receipt.
3. Cut off rebate portion of receipt and buy it.
4. Put rebate receipts in envelope with claim form.
5. Send to Menards rebates.

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I don't think Menards cares if you sell them... it's just just a numbers game for them they figure a certain % won't mail them in and if you do somebody's gonna use them...I see them for sale every once in a while on Craigslist .50/.60 on the dollar...just watch for scammers making fake one's, if they won't meet you at Menards and have them scanned for authenticity, don't walk, run it's a scam.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
the system is run by a third party and they are rock solid,
one time, didn't receive the rebate, called it in, they stated not executed, will send out another, and they did.

that one was for about $3 or 400 dollars
Yep and has happened to me.
Something interesting is that if I have a whole unit re-carpeted the 11% rebate match even covers the install labor. The store people will say it doesn't but I have gotten it many times.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
This is the rebate part after the regular receipt. This is what you mail in.

rebate.gif