• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Microtonal guitars

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
They definitely sound wierd to us westerners that are used to the conventional 12-note octave. I considered trying one, but I don't have enough fingers.

BTW, thumbs up on the CoC reference on your screen name!
Handle is CoC with synonyms hence, the misspelling of erosion.

AgBar

Commodore
Gold Chaser
It sounds out-of-tune to me.
Because it is. Literally. He's playing in between the 12-tone octave that most of us are used to. (Mostly quarter-tones, it sounds like.) To me, it's interesting as an exercise, but I'm probably not listening to this every day. The 12-tone scales are there for a reason.

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
He's playing in between the 12-tone octave that most of us are used to. (Mostly quarter-tones, it sounds like.) To me, it's interesting as an exercise, but I'm probably not listening to this every day.
I play a string bass, and I have found that on the lower notes, playing slightly gives a nice fatness to the sound. But that's just maybe an eighth-tone (or even less) flat. On the higher notes, being a little flat on intonation is really noticeable (and undesirable).

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I play a string bass, and I have found that on the lower notes, playing slightly gives a nice fatness to the sound. But that's just maybe an eighth-tone (or even less) flat. On the higher notes, being a little flat on intonation is really noticeable (and undesirable).
There are 2 notes for every note. Violin players (string bass - no frets) will tell you that.

Equal vs Just tuning

The equal tempered piano is an approximation of 'correct pitch'.

I play guitar and for years didn't understand why tuning harmonically was different than with a tuner. Fiddle-farted around with adjusting this and that.

AgBar

Commodore
Gold Chaser
Yeah, tuning is definitely more noticeable at higher pitch.

I'm guessing you play fret-less bass to give you that control?

EDIT: oh, duh, or do you mean upright bass?

There are 2 notes for every note. Violin players (string bass - no frets) will tell you that.

Equal vs Just tuning

The equal tempered piano is an approximation of 'correct pitch'.

I play guitar and for years didn't understand why tuning harmonically was different than with a tuner. Fiddle-farted around with adjusting this and that.
Oh, now we're off into the weeds!! :) Nice!

Equal temperament, or equal tuning if you prefer, was one of Bach's many great contributions, allowing one instrument to approximate all of the diatonic scales: 7 modes off of the 12 tones.

On my keyboards I can switch from equal to true tuning for a given key. It's a subtle, but also fascinating effect. My ears aren't quite good enough to resolve the details, but the change in the overall feeling of just a simple scale is palpable.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
it would be cool to have one of these just for messing around with but I would never take one on stage.

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
Yeah, tuning is definitely more noticeable at higher pitch.

I'm guessing you play fret-less bass to give you that control?

EDIT: oh, duh, or do you mean upright bass?
A "string bass" is the same thing as an upright bass.

Just different names for the same critter! ;)

Some even call it a "doghouse" bass!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I call an electric bass a 'bass guitar'.

A string bass has a subtleness, a warmth to it that just can't be had with an electric - even if it's a fretless electric.

Those new-fangled upright/electric bass-stick like a bass on a diet - come close to an upright.

They even fold up for traveling...