• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Mini solar charger

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I don't mean to be harsh but seriously? 5 minutes to tell me that a small solar charger will charge a phone? What's the wattage output on that thing? How much did it cost? How long does it take to charge your phone in direct sunlight?

damoc

Seeker
Seeker
legitimate complaint ill post some specs on the video comments section as well as here
specs 5 volt , 3amp max therefore 15 watts max according to the back of panel but I purchased it as a 10w unit and was expecting
a 12 volt panel cost was 15 dollars shipped.charging time will vary on device but 5 hours gave me a full charge on that phone as long as i kept turning panel. Comparing It seems to take about twice as long as when I plug into a 2A USB socket.

Last edited:

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
$50 to charge your phone is too much, imho

i'm sure HF has something similar for cheaper than that

all you need is a multi-volt solar charger

There are plenty of devices that will allow milli-amp charging, these devices are built-in to lots of products, buy a product that does something else but has the ability to charge small devices

then, keep that product charged at all times with a larger solar-charger that can handle at least 12+v worth of output and at the very least, you can trickle charge a car battery as well as charge these smaller devices

we all know this 'new tech' comes with a price tag, the products look cool, but they're rarely Retail Price cool

damoc

Seeker
Seeker
I originally purchased this panel to keep small 12 volt lead acids charged which would in turn run lights and camera at gates to my property I was disappointed at first but now Im happy to have a small panel that I could pack with me anywhere. I have purchased plenty of HF gadgets in my time and most of it just does not last. Ill see how these panels last.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
HF gadgets in my time and most of it just does not last.
yeah, touche' on that one...and never buy their AA batteries, they're the worst i've ever had to throw away

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I originally purchased this panel to keep small 12 volt lead acids charged which would in turn run lights and camera at gates to my property I was disappointed at first but now Im happy to have a small panel that I could pack with me anywhere. I have purchased plenty of HF gadgets in my time and most of it just does not last. Ill see how these panels last.
I've got several of the HF 45 watt amorphous panels and they've held up well as has the charge controller.

damoc

Seeker
Seeker
I've got several of the HF 45 watt amorphous panels and they've held up well as has the charge controller.
Here is a very short old video with a lot of those HF panels set up on my shed. the panels have done pretty good, getting close to and some being more than 10 years old but this past year I had to replace a few and they do seem to be failing pretty quick now. The charge controlers/voltage regulators were ok but not great and most of them have failed in one way or another same with the old cfl lighting that were in some of the sets. In short they were the best value for money at the time but with the cost of solar coming way down and efficiencies increasing there is now much better ways to get solar panels.