• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

My Tower Blind Project

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I started this in the early spring of 2015. I was sick of freezing ass deer hunting in tents and ground blinds.
I have plenty of land up north in the National Forest so it was time to stop dicking around and build something good.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a serious deer hunter! I have tried but it just doesn't work for me. Pretty much zero luck.
I'll never starve but you won't be seeing me on the cover of Sports Afield with a record whitetail buck.

Here we go I'll narrate as the pictures progress.

April 4 2015
Been wanting to do this for a few years since Michigan made gun hunting from towers legal.

I see some first class towers from the highway when the leaves are down and other rickety pieces of thrown together junk I wouldn't dare climb!

I asked a couple builders I know if they want a quick cash job before the real building season kicks in and they thought that was a great idea and jumped at it.
It took a power auger to get through the permafrost but the main poles are cemented in and they'll start building next weekend.
I'm trying to keep the whole project right around 2k, we'll see how that goes.

Floor height is going to be 12 feet from the ground, 10 foot by 8 foot with windows on all sides and a door. Stairs of course.
Basic slanted steel roof with pitch built for the heavy snows of northern Michigan.

It's around 167 yards back at the end of the pines from the main house. I'll see about running a wire out there for power and internet.

B-1.jpg

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Heh, I had to find all of these pictures in several different places and put them in order then get them all on a thumb drive.
Then I could move them to the 2 main computers I use. eh?

Some of you fine folks have seen all this before, but it makes a good thread so I'm bringing it here too.

:2 thumbs up:

Why a tower blind? Why not dammit! I got sick of tents and decided to waste time in comfort.

B-.1.jpg

Last edited:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I sourced all the lumber locally, that's really important when you live rural and only got specialty stuff like pre cut treated stair stringers from Menards.
The stairs was a fun dilemma. We had to stair 12 feet and that ain't standard. They don't make stringers that high so being builders they were talking X amount of steps then a landing then more steps and another landing leading to a porch yada yada.

I suggested we line up 2 stringers per side that have the exact same step rise, overlap and lag bolt the feckers together, then set them 24 inches apart and when fastening the stair boards to the front also ladder the back of the stairs for stability. It worked really well.

B-2.jpg
B-3.jpg
B-4.jpg

Last edited:

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've been hunting out of tree stand a lot the last few years. It's very effective. I prefer to be at least 20 feet above the ground. My tree stands have all been open, but much more substantial and comfortable than any store bought junk. Open tree stands are OK down to about +20 degrees, just wear extra clothing and prepare to sweat climbing into it.
Most people build their elevated box blinds about 4 feet square, which is about a foot too short.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
....been messing with one a few years now....my budget is 0$ ......had a old portable triangle jobsite sign sign frame leftover from the construction company 8' on each side ........turned it up on its poles...it has fork lift pockets built in for moving the sign..........used some old 3/4" plywood with vinyl signage on both sides and some scrap lumber and steel studs to make the floor...old 8"x8 x 14gar steel angles for wall and roof edge framing.....old scrap barn sheeting we used leaves n flat black spray paint to camo up....back to tree is sheeted...roof is sheeted and over hangs...its wall sheeted up 3'....made a plywood door on back...roof sheets just overhang on all sides...the 3 posts sit on concrete pavers....used 3 screw in ground anchors and all thread to keep it tied down to ground...back is rachet strapped to tree also....had a extra 8' fiberglass step ladder i screwed to back side to enter with...still havent found some scrap or something to do windows with ..didnt want to do upper wall sheeting till i know what i will use for windows......so we put a large ground blind inside(baronette 360) it for now (as shown) .....stout as hell....moveable... large enough two people can lay down in it (carpeted) ....use a propane portable heater...and blind is light proof so we can go to it in the dark and have lights if we want........highly recommend 8' sq .....only thing i have bought is flat black spray paint from walmart at 1$ a can... :) .....i bow hunt mostly so i have ladder stands all around permanent mounted...use this one when guiding or helping the missus etc....
20170924_145450 (Large).jpg

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Irons just put in a funnel and hose down to ground ....dig hole with gravel in it......and bury......never hafta come down :)..................gezzzz.....yours is built like a house....outstanding

from our blind its really not hunting its harvesting ...the hardest part is gettting to and from the stand as the surounding areas will have deer in them probably 18-20hrs a day ..usually only empty 10am-2pm ish

your kickin arse on the blind :) ....at least my mower is bigger ....LOL

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Those stairs would seem to be easy for a bear to climb let alone wolves or Sasquatch. Jus' Sayin'
1533529837900.png

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Save up your egg crates or make sure you have good ear protection. Its gonna get loud in there real quick

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yeah, THAT IS the IDEA

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Did you use conduit?

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Hope ol' Otis is doing good. You wouldn't drop him if ya had the chance, would you?
In a heartbeat, but my winning the lottery is more likely to happen.

/

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I was hoping to go at least one page without you yeahoos harping on the God-like capabilities of conduit.

/:bang head:
Dave took the words right outta my keyboard. Ha!

At least, If I remember right, you did use a section or two of the stuff. :thumbs up 2:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Save up your egg crates or make sure you have good ear protection. Its gonna get loud in there real quick
My favorite rifles are both ported so setting one off with the muzzle inside would rupture your eardrums and possibly break a window or 2. But it's damn cool shooting a .444 and a .308 that kick like a .223!
The .444 Marlin came short barreled and ported, I sent my old mauser .308 to MagNaPort years ago to have the barrel cut short and ported.

.:2 thumbs up:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
He toted one of those rollie chairs up there, we have been trying to get him to touch off one of his fire sticks sitting in the rolloe chair to see how many times it spins

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
the idea is to stick the gun muzzle OUT the window.........LOL>... :)
YEAH! What Irons sez VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV :p :p :p :p

My favorite rifles are both ported so setting one off with the muzzle inside would rupture your eardrums and possibly break a window or 2. But it's damn cool shooting a .444 and a .308 that kick like a .223!
The .444 Marlin came short barreled and ported, I sent my old mauser .308 to MagNaPort years ago to have the barrel cut short and ported.
.:2 thumbs up:
"Nanna, Nanna Boo-Boo"

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
There are deer lounging in his shed as we speak!

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I ain't never used a set up like that but that is quite a set up. Golly will you roll a long way with a missstep after 30 wobbly pops. How much did the stairs cost? Shoot I've lived in worse places than that.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I always thought it would be cool to hunt from the tops of these.

I saw more of them things in Wisconsin than I ever imagined there was. Up here it's oil tanks folk have sat on with no idea wether the damb lid was ate out or not.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
The guys were done pretty quick and it was up to me to finish it. Make the stairs a little safer, put on some cross braces so it doesn't sway in the wind, put in solid shelves for shooting etc. I needed to figure out how to get electricity and internets out there too. It was built in April so I had all summer to play with it.

First thing though was to stain the siding so it will last. This weatherproof/stain looked less red on the 5 gallon jug than it did on the walls. Dammit.
But I stood on the ground with a long reach roller and the thing absorbed gallons of stain so that's cool. I can change the color later. And I did.

aarock.gif

B-7.jpg

B-8.jpg

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I did the cross braces right away too so the whole thing stayed tight. We're not known for pleasant weather all the time here.
Another big job was I started knocking down trees that were in the way. You couldn't see much out the windows at first.
Clearing and keeping shooting lanes clear is a ongoing job. The jungle takes a lot back every summer.

B-10.jpg

B-11.jpg

B-5.jpg
B-6.jpg

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I see 2 flaws.

A) No balcony/walkway/ outside sitting area

3) no bofors mount

8a) he doesn't have the permits to keep and feed bears

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Also needs a stripper pole for entertaiment between deers and possibly a kegarator.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Also needs a stripper pole for entertaiment between deers and possibly a kegarator.
there are so many directions to take this thread now............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
This part was fun, what to do with the inside without going too crazy. I had lots of leftover lumber from other projects over the years so most of the material I needed was already around. I had a vent free propane heater in my old cabin we no longer used. I have accumulated several propane tanks over the years too. Etc. etc. used up lots of stuff I had around.

I sealed the floor corners with spray rubber, and found a tile remnant at Lowes for 15 bucks. Got some blinds on sale @ walmart. Cheap office chairs that are height adjustable. The one shelf section flips down so the door can open all the way.

I have pretty much zero building skills so I just made it up as I went along. And it was a lot of fun! .
aabananafingers.gif

B-15.jpg
B-14.jpg
B-13.jpg

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I was going to suggest solar for low pwr electricity.

Might knock the corners off those shelves a bit. That would smart backing into one.

Those stairs are like way high. Almost need a landing to break the fall if that ever happens.

No insulation in the ceiling? That would help keep it warmer for sure!

Pretty sweet blind in any case....

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I was going to suggest solar for low pwr electricity.

Might knock the corners off those shelves a bit. That would smart backing into one.

Those stairs are like way high. Almost need a landing to break the fall if that ever happens.

No insulation in the ceiling? That would help keep it warmer for sure!

Pretty sweet blind in any case....
It gets betterer... Hahaha!
1533856295164.png