• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

My weekend, knocking over a few trees

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Now I have several months of work to mill these redwoods up to lumber, for decking and such on the house.

This one is about 36 inches in diameter, a little rot in the center, but should get lots of lumber out of it.

This one is about 22 inches and all good solid redwood.

This old dead Douglas Fir was starting to lean at my camper, and was the priority to remove.

The only casualty was my generator stand, crushed into the ground.
Crushed gen stand.jpg

This is what it looked like orginally
Good Gen stand.JPG

Oh well, just means more work

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Its about time you fuckers got some work done round there, we was worried about you.

please post pic of your slabbed lumber, love them full wood shots.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The only casualty was my generator stand, crushed into the ground.
Ha!
One time I was too lazy to move my pickup when I thought I knew how long that tree was.
Didn't need that side view mirror anyway.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Its about time you fuckers got some work done round there, we was worried about you.

please post pic of your slabbed lumber, love them full wood shots.
1000934_212151072278510_1277305192_n.jpg

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Do you know the age of those trees?.....my gf guessed 90-100 yrs old...
The 32" redwood was about 80 years old, 8" diameter trees were about 20 years old, 50 years ago the growth rings are 3-4x wider than the modern rings because we've had 20 years of low rainfall.

Our local water district is suffering from that lack of rain also, many of the local wells have run dry and we've had to build a local reservoir to capture more winter water than was needed in the past.

Will share pictures of the lumber, probably in June. I'm off to Maine next week to visit my 1st grand-daughter.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The 32" redwood was about 80 years old, 8" diameter trees were about 20 years old, 50 years ago the growth rings are 3-4x wider than the modern rings because we've had 20 years of low rainfall.

Our local water district is suffering from that lack of rain also, many of the local wells have run dry and we've had to build a local reservoir to capture more winter water than was needed in the past.

Will share pictures of the lumber, probably in June. I'm off to Maine next week to visit my 1st grand-daughter.
Say Hi to Maine for me! Spent 10+ years off the coast there.
PEAKS DL (2).jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Is that one of those lighthouse things? Looks nice and isolated!
That thing in the center is Ft Gorges. The island on the top right is Peaks Island, where I lived along with fellow member ironpig.
It was Ironpig who took me out to the Ft for a tour. Staggering place! Hey up ironpig if you're reading.

Fort Gorges
Fort Gorges is a former United States military fort built on Hog Island Ledge in Casco Bay, Maine. Built from 1858 to 1864, no battles were fought there and no troops were stationed there. Advancing military technology, including iron clad ships and long range guns, made the fort obsolete before it could be used. The fort is now a park, accessible only by boat. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.[2]

Not to be confused with Fort George (Castine, Maine).
Fort Gorges
U.S. National Register of Historic Places

Fort Gorges

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++