• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New forum update, questions, comments, tweaks

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Hey guys,

we need to get everything into one place rather than spread all over.

One was the up/down arrow. That one is completed.

Been working on the links, problem is, it also changed the forum label colors...........Grrr

Regardless, there will be much more that needs to be done, will get to it as suggestions come in and time warrants.

The new software has some features that will make us more secure and easier to use once settled in.

When you bring something though, also bring what color or skin you are viewing in, as that will help narrow it down.

For instance, the changes I just made on links completely blew up the blue invert skin

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Can we enlarge the avatar size just a little.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
If your having troubles after the recent update, first try logging out, then log back in. If that isnt successful, log out, dump your cache & cookies, reboot then log back in again. Good Luck.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I don't see a button to embed youtube videos or images from the net.
Just click and grab the url...

Images, if on my desktop, I click and drag them to X here, or you see that icon above that looks like a mountain range with a moon?

Photos on the net I haven't figured out yet....

Gh

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
i can't capture a specific line of text to 'copy' and 'paste'
normally i hold down left mouse button and drag to highlight text I want to paste

also, double click on single word no longer highlights it

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Ticker?
Note that a bar carries across the top of screen that used to only be at the top of the page. Saves some up scrolling. I believe I'm in default mode because I had not changed skin.

Thanks for pulling this together ya'all. Must be as frustrating getting whacked with this without warning. Will take some getting used to and hope it creates a better experience.

^updated^

found a way in
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
View attachment 100955

copy paste from internet

right click

'copy image'

paste
Just another new "advancement" that doesn't work on FF28. The FF spell check no longer works for me here now either.

Is there an option to add the internet image button at the top of the reply area?

And no, I'm not going to update my FF.

Bigjon

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
I wanted to select just a portion of the text of a post I was editing. When I drag my cursor over the text it highlights it until I reach the end of the window where it used to then scroll the selected text. In this case the end of the window limits the selected text and the window is damned small. grrrrr.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Bug_stomper.png

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I can't perform any action with it but in the drop down next to the "jump to new" and "watch" buttons there is a "moderation" choice. I know the mods have this by default and therefore don't realize the plebes can see it. Since it seems to be non-functioning it probably isn't an issue but thought I'd let you know.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Been working on the links, problem is, it also changed the forum label colors...........Grrr
Ok. I was wondering about that. "Invert Blue" is what I use and it looks great, but now all links are this bright yellow color. The reason I like invert blue is due to it having the darker background and not having a lot of bright colors.
....but you know what? I don't really come here because of the bitchin' color schemes. So hopefully you'll eventually get it all figgered out, but I realize there you've got bigger fish to fry right now than fixing a yellow link. Thanks for the time you already put into maintaining everything.

i can't capture a specific line of text to 'copy' and 'paste'
normally i hold down left mouse button and drag to highlight text I want to paste
Works in "invert blue"
also, double click on single word no longer highlights it
Ditto. It works too.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
got it, thanks

I hear ya on not wanting to update FF, as I am now on vers 59

I still have some XP machines in the field, and they aren't working for #@$ any longer as things continue to change

They have been relegated to non mission critical roles

mayhem

My name is Perrin. Who are you?
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I can't help but say that I really like this update. The layout is clean, uncluttered and very easy to use. I like that they made some of the formatting features into drop down menus instead of having 20 different buttons along the top in the reply box.

Never been a fan of VB or XF. For me the Admin panel is the most important part of the software for a Admin. If the Admin panel is uncluttered, and allows "PHP" and "CSS" editing in real time where you see the changes without having to save and exit (like Simple Machines does) then I could like this version.

Keep up the good work Scorp.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
The reason I like invert blue is due to it having the darker background and not having a lot of bright colors.
I changed that to make them more apparent after the subject was on the table,

they can be changed with no issue, just would like a consensus from any using the invert blue ?????

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Nope, that's for images already on your computer isn't it? I can't copy and paste images from the internet now. I can on chrome but not ff28 which is my preferred browser. I can manually do the
thing but the button was way more convenient.
You gotta click the circled thing for more options. Try that.
hn.png

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
they can be changed with no issue, just would like a consensus from any using the invert blue ?????
The old color seemed to have good contrast.

Old color
old.jpg

New color
new.PNG

The light blue on black seems to stand out just as well, but without the neon-like bright of the yellow. It just doesn't match with the rest of the themes color scheme.
...but like I already said, there could be worse things. So if other people might have trouble with the contrast levels with the text, I can live with it. Other than that, I got no complaints. Everything seems to work fine. I've even been pokin' around trying to find something that's broken. So far, nothin'.

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Can you bring back the info that used to display below each poster's avatar: the number of posts, the number of Likes, etc. I thought that as interesting and useful.

I don't know if this version of the software can do it, but another forum I use has a Thanks button in addition to the Like button.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

I'm using the invert blue and like the way it looks. It's very soothing. I need soothing . The "jumpy" screen problem I was having earlier has disappeared. Will add more info as I notice it.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
by Alton

Header looks good, clear, concise, straightforward, no-frills site identification.

The rest of the changes such as page size, light separation/delineation of posts, style of default GIM black I personally find to be initially a little disconcerting, a tad more of an effeminate influence than I personally care for, font appears slightly taller and so looks a bit thinner, the blue used for links and options/operations (thumb/Like +Quote bent arrow/ Reply) is a bit "brighter" than previously used.

Yeah, I'm being persnickerty about many details but I am somewhat sensitive to such aesthetics so I do notice them. Each on their own is fine but all used together makes for a big change. I mean yeah, ok, if this is what you want go for, I'll adapt. I'm flexible, sorta. Just don't make it pink or green.

-------------------------'

the request was to have the links show, I agreed, but when doing so, it changed all of them.

need to find time to get only links in content to change color, leaving the rest of the forum alone

for now, it works.

as for the rest of the comments, think about it, snowflakes designing stuff, made by not real men and women, what do you expect? Of course everything is going to be less harsh. It is their nature.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
The brown is more black than the black, it should be called "sliver", Arminus was ditched at the mall, wanka and andial lost their ass on sliver, Iron's ain't findin squat today, a 16 beat the #1, dogs having kittens, Gozer has broken through.

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Blue invert here too. My first login after the change had threads go to the first post in each thread. I manually went to the last post, and now clicking titles in New Posts or Watched threads goes to the most recent addition as before.

A small navigation glitch is with combine left or right arrows (to move the cursor) with the shift key (to highlight and select words). When I try to use the shift key with arrows, the cursor just disappears until I use an arrow without the shift key. I found that I can still copy words or phrases with the shift key held down (so I can paste them later), but the cursor is not visible and there is no obvious highlight of the selected text. There is also no highlight when I move the mouse with the left key depressed. I can then delete or copy the text that would have been selected, but the cursor vanishes and selected text is not highlighted.

With the previous version, I liked the watched threads tab showing only threads that have been updated since the last time I watched the threads. There was a link that let me see all watched threads if I wanted, but showing only the updated watched threads was a quick and easy way to see if new content had been added. Now the Watched tab shows all threads that are being watched, with newly updated ones highlighted in bold. That does work, but it was more convenient to see only the watched threads that have new content.

Thanks for working on all this stuff!