• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

New tool “De-Mainstream” allows YouTube users to blacklist mainstream

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Doubt there are many chrome users here. For whatever reason, I don't get much mainstream trash on my laptop but the phone is littered with the garbage. Watch StyxHexenHammer and the next video up is always lamestream. F you google/youtube/23andme.

https://reclaimthenet.org/de-mainstream-youtube-chrome-extension/

The extension blocks certain media outlets from YouTube search and recommendations while also making YouTube Trending showcase the most popular videos based on view counts.

by Tom ParkerFebruary 9, 2020 - 6:55 pm ESTFebruary 9, 2020 - 6:55 pm EST

Over the last year, YouTube has made several sweeping changes to its algorithms to promote legacy media outlets at the expense of the independent creators.
Many of these changes involve classifying certain legacy media outlets as “authoritative sources” and then boosting them in search, Trending, and recommendations.
Now, a recently released browser extension, De-Mainstream YouTube, is allowing users to reverse some of this artificial boosting of mainstream media outlets and put the focus back on independent YouTube creators.
The extension works by blocking certain mainstream media outlets from YouTube search results and recommendations while also giving users “a truly unbiased Youtube Trending section” which shows the most popular videos from the last 24 hours based on view counts.
The blocking feature works in a similar way to an ad blocker and allows users to choose specific mainstream media outlets they want to remove from their search results and recommendations or alternatively block all the mainstream media outlets on the list.
The De-Mainstream browser extension menu can be used to selectively block media outlets from YouTube search results and recommendations (YouTube – Mark M)
If users want to block a mainstream media outlet that’s not currently on the list, they can request it be added to the block list via De-Mainstream’s GitHub page.
Not only does this blocklist place more of an emphasis on creators but it also removes many of the artificially inserted authoritative sources from YouTube’s search results and recommendations.
The unbiased Trending section also allows users to undo some of YouTube’s algorithmic manipulation by listing videos based on their popularity rather than based on whether YouTube’s human reviewers deciding whether it “makes sense” for a video to be on Trending.
The browser extension is open source and currently available for Chromium-based browsers on desktop.
With YouTube recently pledging to continue boosting authoritative sources in the run-up to the 2020 election, the extension is a valuable tool for those who want to restore some semblance of meritocracy to their YouTube experience.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Works (loads) on Brave browser

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Bummer, Found nothing like this in ny youtube enhancer extension or in Firefox add-ons...yet.

the_shootist

Don't hate me because I'm right!
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Nice! Works for me on Brave. Take that Youtube!

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Ultimately a serious alternative to uTube must appear. Alphashit inc. seems intent on censoring anything and everything.

Stripping keywords, demonetization, and adjusting search priorities are only a few examples of how these twinkies steer eyeballs to where they want people looking for information.

the_shootist

Don't hate me because I'm right!
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Ultimately a serious alternative to uTube must appear. Alphashit inc. seems intent on censoring anything and everything.

Stripping keywords, demonetization, and adjusting search priorities are only a few examples of how these twinkies steer eyeballs to where they want people looking for information.
I use this to strip away the uTube governance layer and still be able to watch uTube videos. You save all your subscriptions, favorites, etc locally, not on utube's site. No commercials either!

https://freetubeapp.io/

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
hooktube works pretty well too. at least it used to, haven't played with it for a while.

arminius

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
How difficult would it be to make one, there's many t-shirt outlet printers that would allow you to combine those five graphics on a t-shirt of your size. Check the net for outfits that'll print whatever graphics you want on tshirts, run those five graphics at em in the order you want, and they'll print em, for a few bucks...

kiffertom

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
i use brave. i installed it. cnbc still continues to pop upon recommendations!

GoldenPoet

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Over the rainbow, at the end of the earth, on a di
Doubt there are many chrome users here. For whatever reason, I don't get much mainstream trash on my laptop but the phone is littered with the garbage. Watch StyxHexenHammer and the next video up is always lamestream. F you google/youtube/23andme.

https://reclaimthenet.org/de-mainstream-youtube-chrome-extension/

The extension blocks certain media outlets from YouTube search and recommendations while also making YouTube Trending showcase the most popular videos based on view counts.

by Tom ParkerFebruary 9, 2020 - 6:55 pm ESTFebruary 9, 2020 - 6:55 pm EST

Over the last year, YouTube has made several sweeping changes to its algorithms to promote legacy media outlets at the expense of the independent creators.
Many of these changes involve classifying certain legacy media outlets as “authoritative sources” and then boosting them in search, Trending, and recommendations.
Now, a recently released browser extension, De-Mainstream YouTube, is allowing users to reverse some of this artificial boosting of mainstream media outlets and put the focus back on independent YouTube creators.
The extension works by blocking certain mainstream media outlets from YouTube search results and recommendations while also giving users “a truly unbiased Youtube Trending section” which shows the most popular videos from the last 24 hours based on view counts.
The blocking feature works in a similar way to an ad blocker and allows users to choose specific mainstream media outlets they want to remove from their search results and recommendations or alternatively block all the mainstream media outlets on the list.
The De-Mainstream browser extension works on the Brave browser! YAY

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
i use brave. i installed it. cnbc still continues to pop upon recommendations!
I need it on the phone. For whatever reason my laptop never suggests lamestream. My understanding is that you have to go into the settings for the extension and blacklist the lamestream you don’t want suggestions for. I listen to YouTube in the same way one might listen to AM radio and the suggestions on my laptop are usually spot on and entertaining to me so I haven’t messed with it yet. Unfortunately this isn’t available on mobile platforms right now.