• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Partition Recovery Software

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I did another stupid stunt the other day. While working on my main utility compuker I used FDISK to delete the partitions off a used HD to reimage it with a Win7 install.

Now the correct procedure to do this is to boot from a DOS cd with the target HD being the only one hooked up to the system — the correct procedure. Not ole bottom feeder though, he unintentionally left one other drive hooked up; the one called “Store”.

Yep — I deleted “Store”. One of those “Aw shit!” moments. I have recovered deleted partitions before, in my past life, but I could not find the software (or procedure) that I used. The first, the very first, thing you do is stop. Remove the disk from the machine and find a utility to recover the partitions. So I began my search. I discovered a plethora of ‘free download’ software to do just that, in matter of fact one of the utility programs I installed ran for four hours, gave me a list of all the files in store then announced “This is a trial version of <bullshit freeware name here>. Please purchase a license to save your results”, hah, at a cost of only $79.98.

A week later and five or six more ‘free software downloads’, each one of them searching and displaying my information just out of reach — most aggravating. I added GNU License to my search parameter and begin to get some actually free software links. I finally downloaded the utility TestDisk from this site: https://www.cgsecurity.org/Download_and_donate.php/testdisk-7.1-WIP.win.zip

The program ran in the CMD prompt, was a straightforward process, and partition recovery was successful — I am most grateful to recover my “Store” HD. And in case you’re wondering why I didn’t have “Store” backed up, I did. I did have it backed up but it was last done two months ago and a few files and folders were missing from that.

If you have this happen to you I can endorse this guy’s software as straightforward, useable and free. Just the kind of software I like to see. At the site there is a downloadable PDF of how the program operates. Be advised it runs under the DOS prompt, not in windoze.

BF