• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Pay it forward thread:

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
JayDubya came up with the idea to have a thread where you can attempt to help someone else,
asking nothing in return,

he was stating if you had something not used any longer that someone might get some use out of, a person could post it up and send it off to whomever claimed the item.

dependent on the item, it may or may not have free shipping, all of course at the owners discretion

basically, you post it up here offering someone else your spare widget, long neglected treasure, or a used coffee babe,

then someone contacts you, and you make the arrangements behind the scenes by pm,

and fwiw, I don't believe slightly used underwear or socks with holes in them are going to have any takers,
you might have to rethink your charitable streak a bit

So if'n you are a mind to,

Have fun, pay it forward

Scorp

Last edited:

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We've all got stuff sitting around our houses that we just aren't using. We might have good intentions that we'll put it to use someday, but someday seems to never come.

For example: I've got a box of 41 cabinet locks (with keys) that long ago would have been useful to me, but now, they just sit there. So, I'd be willing to ship to someone on the forum who has a use for them.

I think it would be great if whoever gets them, offers up something else to everyone on the forum and will ship it to whoever has the need.

Then, that person offers up something as well. And on down the line.....

For larger/heavier items the two parties can decide if the receiver should pitch in for some (or all) of the shipping.

Maybe we should include a disclaimer at the top of the thread like this:
Disclaimer: This is NOT a for sale section, these are pay it forward items and shipping details need to be worked out between the members involved.

Let's not f*ck this thing up and drag Scorpio and/or moderators into the transactions by complaining to one of them "Bob didn't ship the item to me after I paid for shipping" or "this item is worthless/worn out" etc.

Here's an outline of what I'm thinking:

1). "Givers" post an ad describing the item, (just like a for sale item) stating either "shipping included" or "available for anyone willing to pay shipping costs" and attaches photos if available.
2). "Takers" respond IN THE THREAD calling "dibs" on the item. THEN PM the giver to provide shipping address and any other pertinent info.
3). If someone calls dibs, then doesn't take the item, the giver notifies the next in line via PM.
4). If no one else has called dibs, the giver should post a "still available" message.
5). When a transaction is completed, the giver posts an "item gone" message.
This keeps the thread somewhat clean by eliminating the "Is this item still available?" messages from accumulating
6). You don't HAVE TO post a free item after you've received one from another member, but that IS the whole idea!

And I don't know how I feel about this - I go back and forth on it.
Should it include or not include "wanted" posts? I lean much towards no "wanted" posts as this is intended to be more about giving, not receiving.

As for those cabinet locks, I'll break them down into four lots of ten (one lucky buyer will get eleven).
I'll keep this post open until Next Saturday the 16th.
If only one person calls dibs he/she will get all 41.
If 2 to 4 people call dibs, I'll split 'em up.
I won't split lower than 4 groups.

Here's a couple pictures:

1588889843667.jpg

1588890389879.jpg

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Cabinets locks are still available.

No takers?

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
hammerhead, please feel free to throw something on here.

I'd really like to see this take off.

Like I said above - We've all got stuff sitting around our houses that we just aren't using. Might as well offer it up to someone who could use it.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
hammerhead, please feel free to throw something on here.

I'd really like to see this take off.

Like I said above - We've all got stuff sitting around our houses that we just aren't using. Might as well offer it up to someone who could use it.
JD, I've gotten rid of so much stuff from tag sales to donations yet somehow I've got a lot of stuff. I'll he happy to look around and hopefully I can find something of value to contribute.

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have a bunch of external hard disc drive cases and some small older hdds, still good but older, that I won't need.
I could stick one of the drives in the case and send it off for shipping cost. If I put some videos on the disks I think I could ship media mail.
Cheaper. I have done it before without issue. Let me know if you need some. I could just ship the empty drive cases if you have a HDD already.
Let me know why you need it and for what to guide me. 3.5" BTW.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I have a bunch of external hard disc drive cases and some small older hdds, still good but older, that I won't need.
Are these SATA or USB? Do they need (or come with) power supplies?
I could stick one of the drives in the case and send it off for shipping cost. If I put some videos on the disks I think I could ship media mail.
I like your idea. Sending anything over a pound is expensive, might as well use the Priority padded flat rate envelope. Where Media Mail is by the pound.

I don't need more hard drives now, so I will back off. But thanks for your offer. And if you still have some left afterwards, I could use some for ZFS testing.

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
These are clamshell shucks, USB 3, with PS, various brands mostly Seagate, WD, I think I got a few Samsungs etc.
Should have the stock cables.

In other words, they are sata internal for the drive and USB 3 to the computer. Typical that you buy for backing up your computer at worst buy or for external storage, just with the drive removed [drive used for something else]. Originally came with 5TB 8TB or 10TB or whatever.

Bought new, drives removed, put case back in box. Most never even plugged in once, or at most 5 minutes just to verify it shipped good and register warranty, then shut down and put back in the box.

Last edited:

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
We've all got stuff sitting around our houses that we just aren't using. We might have good intentions that we'll put it to use someday, but someday seems to never come.

For example: I've got a box of 41 cabinet locks (with keys) that long ago would have been useful to me, but now, they just sit there. So, I'd be willing to ship to someone on the forum who has a use for them.

I think it would be great if whoever gets them, offers up something else to everyone on the forum and will ship it to whoever has the need.

Then, that person offers up something as well. And on down the line.....

For larger/heavier items the two parties can decide if the receiver should pitch in for some (or all) of the shipping.

Maybe we should include a disclaimer at the top of the thread like this:
Disclaimer: This is NOT a for sale section, these are pay it forward items and shipping details need to be worked out between the members involved.

Let's not f*ck this thing up and drag Scorpio and/or moderators into the transactions by complaining to one of them "Bob didn't ship the item to me after I paid for shipping" or "this item is worthless/worn out" etc.

Here's an outline of what I'm thinking:

1). "Givers" post an ad describing the item, (just like a for sale item) stating either "shipping included" or "available for anyone willing to pay shipping costs" and attaches photos if available.
2). "Takers" respond IN THE THREAD calling "dibs" on the item. THEN PM the giver to provide shipping address and any other pertinent info.
3). If someone calls dibs, then doesn't take the item, the giver notifies the next in line via PM.
4). If no one else has called dibs, the giver should post a "still available" message.
5). When a transaction is completed, the giver posts an "item gone" message.
This keeps the thread somewhat clean by eliminating the "Is this item still available?" messages from accumulating
6). You don't HAVE TO post a free item after you've received one from another member, but that IS the whole idea!

And I don't know how I feel about this - I go back and forth on it.
Should it include or not include "wanted" posts? I lean much towards no "wanted" posts as this is intended to be more about giving, not receiving.

As for those cabinet locks, I'll break them down into four lots of ten (one lucky buyer will get eleven).
I'll keep this post open until Next Saturday the 16th.
If only one person calls dibs he/she will get all 41.
If 2 to 4 people call dibs, I'll split 'em up.
I won't split lower than 4 groups.

Here's a couple pictures:

View attachment 164380

View attachment 164383
I use to work for that blue company....many many years ago.....

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I have to much stuff. Will take a look. Like the idea of finding things new home. Gave cucumbers to neighbors tonight, I know quite what we're talking about here