In September 2019, a document was published that details the 2020 election - so far - to a frightening precision. THIS IS THEIR BATTLE PLAN. Download it. Archive it. Read it. Study it. Only by knowing their strategy can you know how to win. luc.edu/media/lucedu/law/stu…
Yeah it's nice to see some people sort of waking up and voicing their opinions, maybe even showing a little disdain. But mostly just nibbling at the margins. And maybe it's because most like-minded people are too busy paying the bills to cause any trouble, but I haven't seen any actual fighting back. Not even close.
I'm guilty too, but I think we'll have to amp it up a notch or three.
Would be nice if the whistle blowers were provided some physical and legal protection to prevent attacks and economic harm... thinking of the lady in MI assembly video telling how fvcked up her life got as reason for not having more people testify.
More Orange County restaurants decide to stay open, declaring their views on Instagram
Chaak Kitchen in Tustin on Saturday, December 12, 2020 is one of several Orange County restaurants openly defying the shutdown. Theres a patio area and an inside area with large ceiling vents that help circulate the air. (Photo by Mindy Schauer, Orange County Register/SCNG)
By ANNE VALDESPINO | firstname.lastname@example.org | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: December 12, 2020 at 6:26 p.m. | UPDATED: December 15, 2020 at 1:15 p.m.
More Orange County restaurant owners were joining the ranks of a mini-movement to defy the state’s latest stay-at-home order, adding their names to a list of bars and eateries on Instagram that had grown to 63 by Saturday, Dec. 12.
The list, under the hashtag #OpenSafe, ranged from fine dining establishments to mom-and-pop diners that pledged to follow safety guidelines set by the state but which are banding together in their views and staying open.
Some restaurateurs are calling it a protest but others, such as Ed Patrick, owner of Gabbi’s Mexican Kitchen in Orange and Chaak Kitchen in Tustin, say they’re just doing what they need to do to survive. “We’re just getting by and people are supporting us, which is nice,” he said.
A much-lauded fine dining establishment which has been dubbed a “discoveries” restaurant by Michelin in 2020, Chaak has a retractable roof and outdoor patio, and Patrick is welcoming diners in both spaces. His reasoning, like many taking this stand, is largely employee driven.
“Between both restaurants, there are 98 employees, and what? I’m going to put them out of a job right before Christmas?” he said. “From what I understand, L.A. is going to end their suspension on the 20th. I think L.A. is going to open back up for outdoor dining. And when that happens, everybody’s back to the same thing that was going on before.”
1 of 3
Chaak Kitchen in Tustin on Saturday, December 12, 2020 is one of several Orange County restaurants openly defying the shutdown. The inside area has large ceiling vents that help circulate the air. (Photo by Mindy Schauer, Orange County Register/SCNG)
JC Clow, a founder of The Winery restaurants in Tustin, Newport Beach and San Diego, agrees that L.A. will open up soon and so will the rest of the state.
“I think in the very near future, you’re going to see the California Restaurant Association be victorious in their lawsuit against Sacramento. And you are going to see a return to outdoor dining, depending on the schedule of the courts, possibly before the end of the month,” he said. The association filed suit in Los Angeles County Superior Court, seeking to block the outdoor dining ban until county health officials provide more evidence about the COVID risks.
Hungry? Sign up for The Eat Index, our weekly food newsletter, and find out where to eat and get the latest restaurant happenings in Orange County. Subscribe here.
Clow does not consider remaining open a protest and was quick to point out that he has not made comments on social media calling attention to his decision.
The Winery was not on the Instagram list of restaurants, which was placed next to the posting of a protest letter penned by Jeff Chon, CEO and founder of Oak & Coal in Costa Mesa and five locations of Tabu Shabu in Southern California. Chon posted a video on the subject that now has more than 40,000 views and shared his letter with colleagues in the industry who agreed and have reposted it.
Chon makes it clear that he is not political and he’s not anti-mask. The letter titled “Declaration of Safe Responsible Service Non-Partisan Coalition of Small Business Owners,” says, “We, as responsible small business owners and operators, do hereby declare our intention to protest the current state stay home order.”
Diego Velasco, executive chef and founder of Memphis Cafe in Costa Mesa, said he had planned to join the protest, but he quickly reversed his decision when code enforcement showed up twice to his place of business.
“It was a really difficult decision when we decided to band with the restaurants and Open Safe, and hopefully have some wolf pack mentality,” he said. “Code enforcement was at our door and we weren’t even open, we heard from a neighboring restaurateur. The next morning, code enforcement was at our door again before we were even open for lunch. … So, we reversed our stance. We had this imminent threat of being targeted. And I don’t know why.” he said, pointing to some restaurants that have been continuing to operate on-premises dining with seemingly no sanctions.
Many restaurateurs are concerned about losing revenue during the holidays, a particularly busy time of year that is typically followed by a fallow period. Clow said he has spent tens of thousands of dollars on safety and outdoor dining equipment. His decision is a level-headed look at the numbers, he said.
“Not only did we adhere to the county guidelines, the state and CDC guidelines, we went above and beyond,” he said. “A lot of businesses are hanging on by threads. And not to have that income for December? It’s just a killer.”
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis: Restaurants to remain open amid COVID-19
By Elizabeth Elizalde
December 15, 2020 | 10:53pm | Updated
or you're a family owned business,
Florida Gov Ron DeSantis: Restaurants to remain open amid COVID-19
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Tuesday that restaurants will remain fully open despite COVID-19 ravaging the state during the pandemic.
DeSantis told cooks, servers and other restaurant employees during a press conference at Okeechobee Steakhouse in West Palm Beach that he’s not going to allow the hospitality industry to completely shut down like in other states that imposed strict indoor dining restrictions.
“We’ve got your back if you’re somebody’s who’s a waitress, or a cook, or you’re a family-owned business — you’re an important part of our state,” DeSantis said. “You’re working folks who are working hard to make a living. You have every right to do that. You’re going to have that right defended by the governor.”
DeSantis also said the majority of COVID infections occur in people’s homes, citing a recent New York government report that found 1.4 percent of new cases have been traced back to restaurants and bars. Indoor dining in New York shut down again Monday after Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced the hefty restriction to curb the surge of the coronavirus in the state.
“The vast majority of infections are occurring in people’s homes, particularly if you have people getting together,” DeSantis said. “Closing a restaurant to indoor dining is going to lead to more people doing that in private homes anyways.”
AMERICAN NEWS 'If Antifa can do it, so can we': Anti-lockdown protesters declare 'patriot autonomous zone' outside of Oregon Capitol
A group of anti-lockdown protesters forced their way inside the Capitol building in Salem, Oregon and declared the area outside a 'patriot autonomous zone' referencing the notorious autonomous zone in Seattle this past summer.
The city of Detroit is suing Black Lives Matter protesters after a group of organizers sued the local government.
Detroit's suit alleges that demonstrators who participated in the racial justice protests this summer were a part of a "civil conspiracy" in which they attempted “to disturb the peace, engage in disorderly conduct, incite riots, destroy public property,” and resist police orders, among other “illegal acts." The suit was filed in September, about a month after activists filed their own suit, alleging Detroit police officers “repeatedly responded with violence,” according to theIntercept.
The city has accused the protesters of defaming police officers, although the city isn't suing for defamation outright.
It also claims the protesters, specifically the umbrella collective, Detroit Will Breathe, shouldn't be considered as protected under the First Amendment because “the protests in Detroit have repeatedly turned violent, endangering the lives of police and the public." The city has pointed to officers injured during protests to support this claim, which it says include “cracked vertebrae, lacerations, and concussions," however, the city does not specify how each injury occurred or who injured them.
The filings allege multiple times that demonstrators were “destroying and defacing public property,” however only two examples are given, a broken police car window and a spray-painted statue.
Detroit Police Department Chief James Craig, who was named as a defendant in the protesters' suit, has called the demonstrators “criminals” and “misguided radicals” who “incite violence.” He has also accused the group of being “coordinated,” “planned,” and “financed” by “a Marxist ideology” trying to “undermine our government as we know it," in an interview with Fox & Friends in September.
The protesters' original lawsuit included detailed allegations and led a judge to grant a temporary order designed to limit police officers' use of force "including the use of striking weapons, chemical agents, and rubber bullets against demonstrators, medical support personnel, and legal observers."
One protester participating in the suit alleges she was shot in the chest with a rubber bullet, piercing her skin. She alleges it happened after she was tear-gassed and beaten with a riot shield without provocation and says she suffered panic attacks in the months after it allegedly took place. Another female protester claimed she experienced migraines for weeks after an officer pushed her to the pavement and trampled her, during which she suffered a head injury. Other protesters detail claims of violence resulting in a fractured pelvis, a broken rib, and a collapsed lung.
Many city officials and leaders, including Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib, have denounced the city's countersuit.
“It’s just another blatant attempt to silence and intimidate us,” said Lauren Rosen, a plaintiff and organizer with Detroit Will Breathe, according to the Intercept. “Except now … they want to do it through the courts instead of in the streets.”
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Announces Proposal Regarding Takeover Of Austin Police Department
By Jeff Charles | Dec 21, 2020 3:30 PM ET
Share Tweet Share
AP Photo/Evan Vucci
The feud between Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and the Austin City Council seems to be heating up. After the city’s councilmembers voted to defund the Austin Police Department (APD) earlier this year, the governor has been looking into measures to implement against other Texas cities that take similar action.
It appears that this particular drama is going to reach its climax in 2021.
Gov. Abbott previously threatened to take over Austin’s law enforcement agency in order to maintain the safety of its residents. It appears that he might be following through on his threat.
On Monday, the governor posted a tweet announcing that a proposal has been drafted that would allow the state to take over Austin’s police department. “Just in time for Christmas: The Legislative Council has sent draft language for a proposed law that would transfer control of the Austin Police Department to the Texas Department of Public Safety,” Abbott tweeted. “One way or another we will pass a law to keep Austin safe.”
Earlier this year, Austin’s city council voted unanimously to slash the APD’s budget by $150 million. The decision came amid widespread outrage and unrest over the death of George Floyd, who was killed by a Minneapolis police officer.
As I wrote previously, “The new measure will slash one third of the APD’s entire budget, it also calls for an immediate cut of $21.5 million from the agency to be reallocated to provide funding for abortion access programs, food access, and violence prevention.”
Crime has been on the rise in the city even before the city council’s vote. According to the Wall Street Journal, Austin is leading the nation when it comes to the percent increase of homicides in 2020. APD Chief Brian Manley released a report showing that the city saw a 64.29% increase in homicides compared to last year.
Lt. Jeff Greenwalt with APD’s Homicide and Aggravated Assault units told reporters at a press conference earlier this year that the nature of the homicides are the same as those committed in previous years, but that the city is seeing more of them in 2020.
“We are looking at a significant increase this year for some reason. We see all the same types of murders that we’ve seen in years past. We have a lot of robberies that end up with someone dying, which makes it a capital murder, and we have a fair amount of domestic violence that occur as well. But what we’re not seeing is any new type of crime that is leading to homicides in 2020. We’re just seeing more of all the same reasons [as] before,” Greenwalt said.
Last month, Gov. Abbott noted the increased crime rate in Austin. “Austin experiences highest number of homicides in 20 years. This is why it is absurd that Austin is defunding police. It is also why Texas will act to roll back that defunding and consider taking over policing in some areas of Austin,” he tweeted.
In August, Abbott announced a proposal to prevent Texas cities that defunded their police department from increasing property taxes. He is also considering other actions to target those who slash their police departments’ budgets.
One doesn’t need to be a prophet to see that Abbott’s proposal will cause quite a ruckus in the state’s government next year. The battle over the measure with likely be mythical, with progressives pushing back against the governor’s attempts to mitigate the damage that will undoubtedly be inflicted by the city council’s decision.
Abbott’s push for this particular proposal is definitely a compelling idea. After all, if the crime rate is already rising in Austin, hampering law enforcement’s ability to do its job will only place Austinites in more danger.
However, some are still pushing back on the governor’s decision, arguing that the state should not interfere in matters that should be addressed by the local government. Others have pointed out that the state would be using taxpayer funds from Texans all across the state to pay for its takeover of Austin’s police department.
Either way it goes, it is obvious to conservatives that the best way to solve this problem is to reverse the decision made by the city council. But this is unlikely to happen anytime soon. Austin voters did finally elect one conservative voice to the city council, but it will take more of a backlash from the city’s residents to push the legislators to do a 180 on their previous vote.
Texas’ legislative session will continue in January. The proposal will likely be filed as a bill during this session, so the fight over Austin’s police department will kick off early in the new year.
North Dakota Republicans Are Considering To Nullify Federal Laws Due To Biden’s Misuse Of Executive Orders adminSend an email18 hours ago
764 2 minutes read
North Dakota is pushing back against Biden’s authoritarian rule.
Legislators from North Dakota are close to enacting a new bill that will cut off the Federal government’s power over North Dakota.
Republican Rep. Sebastian Ertelt, who introduced the bill was quoted saying “Upon receipt of federal legislation, regulation, or executive order, for consideration and process, the committee shall recommend whether to nullify in its entirety a specific federal law, regulation, or executive order.
As the federal government in 1798 teetered dangerously close to what James Madison considered a vast misuse of its powers under the Constitution, he authored the Virginia Resolution.
The resolution affirmed that “in case of a deliberate, palpable, and dangerous exercise of other powers, not granted by the said compact, the states who are parties thereto, have the right, and are in duty bound, to interpose for arresting the progress of the evil, and for maintaining within their respective limits, the authorities, rights and liberties appertaining to them.”
More than 220 years later, North Dakota legislators — alarmed by the deluge of executive decrees from the Biden White House — are considering legislation to push back against the flood.
House Bill 1282, introduced recently by Republican state Rep. Sebastian Ertelt, creates what legislators are calling a committee on nullification.
If passed, the State Legislature ostensibly would decide if the edict becomes the law in North Dakota.
Republican legislators in North Dakota are taking a pro-active – and constitutional – step to push back against unconstitutional executive orders coming out of the Biden administration, and they are doing so with the power of the US Constitution in their corner.
A new bill introduced in the North Dakota State Legislature (HB1164), would instruct the state’s Attorney General to review the constitutionality of each of the executive orders issued by Joe Biden.
Under the proposed law, should the North Dakota Attorney General find that any executive orders are unlawful – or unconstitutional, the executive order would be “nullified,” it would prohibit any state, county, or local agency – or publicly funded organization – from enforcing the order(s).