• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Platinum?

RebelYell

Seeker
Seeker
I've never been especially interested in Platinum as I have not viewed it as a monetary metal - and consequently know very little about it.

However I have noticed that it is
(a) a lot cheaper than gold relative to all time highs
(b) just about totally sold out in the retail market - literally almost no-one has a round or a bar available anywhere.

Against that I understand that there is predicted to be considerably more production than industrial demand this year and next.

Anybody here care to comment on their views on whether to buy at all, when and at what price?

Thanks!

3glocks1stack

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Yes! Buy! Physical metal at the cheapest price you can find. *this is not financial advice. But........ I like it so you should too :)

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Platinum is 10X rarer than gold and was always the most desirable PM until recent years. It typically was 2x th price of gold. Today, for some odd reason, it's 1/2 the price of gold. Like you I never really liked platinum but about a year ago, I changed my mind. It was pretty easy to find and you could get eagles for a $50 premium which I thought was high but I pulled the trigger anyway. Now, if you can find it the premiums are $200! When manufacturing kicks into full swing again it will go up. Maybe :)

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
The main use for platinum and it’s sister palladium is as catalysts, and they are rare and in demand primarily for that purpose. Platinum isn’t especially beautiful like gold, silver or even copper; in fact it looks very much like stainless steel.

The current world economy might be part of the reason platinum is weak. Catalytic converters use platinum and I haven’t checked n]the numbers but I believe the auto industry is down worldwide.

2c,
R.

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Last stock apockeylypo I put my money in plat and made back my paper losses in the market plus in no time.

I picked up some at $822, in april, they don't have any, but buy back price is BUY BACK PRICE: $934.45 so not too shabby.
If they start ramping up auto manufac, look out.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The main use for platinum and it’s sister palladium is as catalysts, and they are rare and in demand primarily for that purpose. Platinum isn’t especially beautiful like gold, silver or even copper; in fact it looks very much like stainless steel.

The current world economy might be part of the reason platinum is weak. Catalytic converters use platinum and I haven’t checked n]the numbers but I believe the auto industry is down worldwide.

2c,
R.
Lots of Platinum jewelry out there. Apparently not that bad to work with just must be real hot. So I'd say it's at least on par with silver in the beauty dept and wont tarnish.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum coin premiums are an insane joke. They can keep them