• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Please critique this body armor

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I like it. BUT, on the off chance I am dodging zom-bids and some young punk takes a crack at me with a .50egal....then I am hoping I have 1/8th plate in position under the vest...…..shit, I hate welts.....they sting so much!

mayhem

Oh my, Oh my.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
@foolsgold
I have a Level 4 Interceptor BA from the first Iraq war days. With the .308 + 2 ceramic plates that I no longer need if you are interested, PM me for details.

They are heavy with the plates installed and hot. Looking at the one you linked to I was trying to see if the Kevlar was removable so you can wash the stink out of the carrier. Didn't see or read anything about being able to do that, and that is important believe me. Other than that it seems reasonable pricing for the vest and the plates.

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It won't take on rifle rounds. Looks good for pistol threats and looks like it would be as comfortable as a vest in its class can be. I got a few plates and a military contract over run vest to carry them in. Currently have plates that will defeat AP 30.06 rounds.

mayhem

Oh my, Oh my.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
It won't take on rifle rounds. Looks good for pistol threats and looks like it would be as comfortable as a vest in its class can be. I got a few plates and a military contract over run vest to carry them in. Currently have plates that will defeat AP 30.06 rounds.
That's pretty much what my kit is also. The plates are stamped .308+ And are military issue. When they issued the desert camo colors in the sand they allowed me to keep the old kit. I wasn't mil was PMC.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Looks good for everyday use and wear. Most bad guys on the street will not be carrying a long gun so it should stop your every day run of the mill grocery store shooter!

But for win SHTF you'll want what Mayhem has! Just my .02

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
There are a few posts here where guys took turns wearing the armor and shooting each other to see if it worked.

Might be one way to determine effectiveness...

Here's a video from the link

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
There are a few posts here where guys took turns wearing the armor and shooting each other to see if it worked.

Might be one way to determine effectiveness...

Here's a video from the link

Uhhhhh...you put the vest on 1st, OK?
OK. But you shoot me with a .22, then you put the vest on and I shoot you with my Desert Eagle.
Uhhhhh...Mom, Jethro's not playin' fair again.

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
That's pretty much what my kit is also. The plates are stamped .308+ And are military issue. When they issued the desert camo colors in the sand they allowed me to keep the old kit. I wasn't mil was PMC.
My plates are not military issue I got them from https://www.ar500armor.com
buying and then not being happy then the vest I got came with plates I did not want I just ended up with about three sets even selling off a 4th. But am set and have extras. The ones that can defeat the AP 30.06 rounds can only do it once then the plates are toast. So i got spars.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
They are hot and heavy. Wife and I have level IIIa kevlar with pockets for plates. What some people don't realize when they buy plates however is the "splatter" factor. Think about that...

SC

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

mayhem

Oh my, Oh my.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
My plates are not military issue I got them from https://www.ar500armor.com
buying and then not being happy then the vest I got came with plates I did not want I just ended up with about three sets even selling off a 4th. But am set and have extras. The ones that can defeat the AP 30.06 rounds can only do it once then the plates are toast. So i got spars.
From what I was told all ceramic plates will shatter if hit by a 7.62x 51 or 54, making them useless. Steel is better but not for me as they are way to heavy. @SilverCity said the splatter is always in play. My partner got hit in the back by what I suspect was a sniper w/a 7.62x54 round. Knocked him right down, I was concerned but he did manage to crawl behind some cover. When he got his breath back he was swearing up a storm. He was glad he wasn't dead, but he said he never wanted to experience that again. He was showing the bruise even a month later. Pretty traumatic, but alive.
Those were some good times back then. What was the name of that guy who got banned from every forum, the one who said he had every mall ninja tack gear piece mounted to a shopping cart if I recall?

mayhem

Oh my, Oh my.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Also, I peeked around AR500's site. All the stuff worth having is top $$ priced. Something else that wasn't mentioned was you DO NOT want to leave your gear on a hanger unless you want to replace the soft Kevlar every 12 months or so. Now I did noticed that they used a mix pf materials to make up the soft carrier inserts. (didn't look to see if some of the cheaper stuff was just sewn together.) Kevlar will settle downwards if hung on a hanger. I've had mine for years and always have stored it flat.

No doubt the newer stuff is more comfortable to move around in, but again if everything isn't removable, meaning if the carries has the soft protection built in you will smell like a locker room with a day or so's wearing. That's why I would not have any carrier that couldn't be broken down and the carrier washed, as you can't wash the Kevlar panels.

There is mil-sup gear at fun shows every now and then for sale when the grunts change camo patterns, but you can count on paying $300 for the molly vest w/soft panels, and another $300 for the plates. I also sprang for the collar privately as I saw how useful and needed it was.

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I don't see the crime.

They each accepted the terms.

Darwin award survivors they are.
Agreed. The cops should have stayed at dunkin donuts and guarded the parking lot