• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Plumbing issue with main line (Fixed)

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
for the 3rd year in a row i have had roots invade the main line going from the house to the septic. I keep saying I am going to dig that pipe up and replace ( I know where the problem is approximately) but then I get it cleared and just think its going to be ok forever LOL.
This year was different, rented the 3/4 inch snake as usually but couldn't get it to make the twist and turns this year for some reason (No it wasn't blocked) I was about to give up and build an outhouse for the winter but did a little more research and stumbled upon water better machines. They make them from 1500 PSI to 4k PSI.. I found one about an hr away and a days rental was 86 bucks. Slightly more than the 100' snake rental. They said it didn't work on roots and I said its 1500 Psi that will cut through your skin, how could it not work? Since I had nothing tools I gave it a shot. It's got a jet on the front and 3 on the back to propel it through the pipes. In and out in 20 minutes and pipe is clean. Definitely the way to go. I'll never rent one of those heavy steel ones again.
Next year I will definitely dig up the pipe though.. Maybe.. :dduck:Just a tip if anyone ever has a similar issue. The water jetters are very good and fast..

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Used one of those once. It was industrial sized, maybe a two inch hose. Cleared a culvert draining a firing range, good fun. I thought the plumbers now a days could line those old pipes but could be wrong about that.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Now pour some roundup[or other] down there and kill the roots.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Used one of those once. It was industrial sized, maybe a two inch hose. Cleared a culvert draining a firing range, good fun. I thought the plumbers now a days could line those old pipes but could be wrong about that.
Yes they can do cure in place lining provided that the pipe is still aligned...offset pipes pose a problem...pretty expensive but does not disrupt the ground above requiring rehab.....if the dig is shallow and just bedded in dirt without stone replacement is probably cheaper.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
On This Old House they had one where after cutting roots out they lined the inside with a reverse condom that hardened and turned into a inside pipe liner. No water gets out, so no roots get in.

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
One of the previous owners thought it would be a good idea to plant an apricot tree over the leech pipe. We finally cut it down and our neighbor graciously had someone cut down two nearby Russian Olive trees. We shall see...

To quote someone else: "Ain't no problem like a plumbing problem".

SC

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
If you have a leach field problem try a perforation before you spend a k or two on a new field, a friends mother had her fiedl clogged and they wanted 2k for a new one, I found her a place that would do the perforation and it worked, been over 10 years now. Cost was 300 bucks

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
where i live ground is very porous .....put in a small lined pond we drain to .....put in one pipe on top of the other with main valves if the lower ever clogs up will move to the upper ....never ever had a issue ....a in construction pic of valves included for non-belivers :) (i try to always take pictures of in-wall or undergound work for future reference)
DSC06738.JPG

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
For the cost of PVC that's not a bad idea. I don't think a snake will get past those valves though. From the looks of the dirt I bet you are near Ft Leonard Wood. Had to shovel that crap from my tracks when I was training down there. Nasty sticky stuff.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
For the cost of PVC that's not a bad idea. I don't think a snake will get past those valves though. From the looks of the dirt I bet you are near Ft Leonard Wood. Had to shovel that crap from my tracks when I was training down there. Nasty sticky stuff.
yep in missouri with similar soils to Ft Leonard wood area..........looking up stream cleanouts every 50ft :)....down stream all straight...valves are in a manhole now .....never want to dig it up in my lifetime....just showing guys how people do different things in different parts of the country

Attachments

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
For what this is worth I have had lots of roots in drains over the years at my various rental houses. I have tried this and had pretty good luck with it so far. It supposedly foams the inside of the pipe preventing root growth. I started using it right after a cleaning out and not as an un-clogger. One of my places would require annual clean outs...right now 3 years strong on one place with only a re-treatent every year

1546230047568.png