• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Predicted Power Blackouts, EcoFlow units, etc.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Also, being able to run A/C would be nice in FL. Especially since the hurricanes usually come through around August.
I think you can forget THAT...except in a weather emergency, in normal times. Even then, it's only going to work for hours, not longer.

SHTF is going to require new thinking and new expectations. Even to how we deal with weather emergencies, if the power is ostensibly remaining on.

Remember...most of us expected that as society decomposed, as we entered into the Hard Reset (not Klaus' Grate Reset) that we'd have to do without advanced medicine. I don't know about anyone else; but I expected it would be a world of power-outages, no food for hospital kitchens, no syringes, no running water...and the physicians running for their lives from guerrillas.

I never expected it would be the insanity of an extra-governmental Club of Oligarchs, putting forth a stealth eugenics plan through their lackeys in pharma; and then MANDATING hospitals to ADMINISTER it through their lackeys in Corporate Hospital. After giving it legitimacy and force of law through Leftist Government and the Deep State.

So...I'm comfortable in predicting that the power grid will fall apart. How? I don't know, and probably I'll be surprised when I learn.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
well, we ended the weeklong 'event' with a credit of $110 approx...we've tightened up our program, gonna leave the mains on, the main fridge turned on (working on a battery / inverter for that, our fridge pulls more than 2400w on start-up and i'm gonna have to grab my largest inverter 2k / 4k surge, but it's not pure sine wave, but it'll work) and will turn everything else off and leave it off for the 5 hour duration, squeaks us down to 1KWh for that time period, we will save the food (we lost a half gallon of milk that was stored in the door shelf and that was effected when we actually turned the fridge off for several of those nights, so, be aware of that...that's why we changed our program, no need to ruin something while we're making money)

and i'll recharge the batteries on our cheapest time if i wake up before 5am and i'm gonna start working on that idea too

actually, it was an 'easy' transition for us as i've had the components for some time and am now stripping them away from my solar machine...it's been turned off for a few years....i just needed two fresh batteries and wallyworld had some lawnmower batteries for $30 each, x 2 plus a grp 24 battery box for about $10

yep, what a world, money for nothing...now where do i get those Free Chicks?

1662925194580.png

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
More insulation in your fridge door.

Get foam chunks, and put them in the trays where you'd put food.

The door is probably the least-well-insulated part. Beef that up, be sure the food is up against a cold point in the fridge, and you'll have better luck.

...2400 watts to start? Must be a big refrigerator. Or very old...my Chinesium refrigerator uses 150 watts. Measured.

WQFTruckster

Jolliest asshole this side of the nuthouse
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I think you can forget THAT...except in a weather emergency, in normal times. Even then, it's only going to work for hours, not longer.
Why? A quick search says a whole house Generac on a 1000 gallon propane tank will go about 2 weeks continuously. Heck I can run a small bedroom window A/C unit on my 5000watt portable for several days on the gas I have stored around the house. Granted, a 1000 gallon propane tank isn't exactly cheap, but all in with a generator you wouldn't be much over $10k vs a whole house solar setup in the $20-30K range, plus replacing batteries every 5-7 years.

If the power grid goes down and stays down, we're all gonna be heading back to the stone age real quick and a solar panel to run some LED lights or charge your cell phone isn't gonna mean much. In that scenario, I suppose I will have to forego my A/C...

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
All our Eco Flow batteries are in storage mode. We use PNM for our daily needs and it's pretty cheap. Gas and electric are now right about $100 per month. If the power goes out permanently--yes, we are anticipating this--we go off grid for as long as we are able.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
If the power goes out permanently--yes, we are anticipating this--we go off grid for as long as we are able.
and i'm planning on going off-grid for as long as i have to...it is a luxury to have those powered sockets along the walls to plug things into

it's a 'nice break' to do something different like this, for me, and the wife is still on-board, but the novelty has warn off and the 'extra steps' come with 'timing' to boot , so , yeah, we're getting the "green", and tonight, although that program is over, for now, we kept as much individually turned off, as was practical, and yes, i notice the normal 'waste' but, let me ask: if they're making it and i'm not using it...

technically: isn't that the Real Waste?

'cept, they're not making electricity for us as they once promised us they would...as they were selling our parents and grand parents on the taxes they're gonna have to pay in order to electrify the country, to pay for it all, ...they told us it would always be available and turned on at high volume...just for US

perhaps their intentions were good, way back then, but look at what we have now:
farking politicians who lie every chance they get, and farking communists who are hell bent on tearing down our entire grid structure, replace it with daisy's and dreams of once being a respectable country, but now we're gonna be even less respected, because of all the privilege we have...everyone but the blacks...yeah, i don't really get it...

eh, anyways...

it's not going to kill many of us if it goes out, contrary to 'popular legend', people do survive without electricity...see Africa, Latin America, Parts of the Orient, parts of the Middle East...

and now it's our turn...but wait...these people never had it in the first place...

it's a Real Nice Convenience but not having it isn't gonna kill us...

we should just become a Provence of Canada, or a State of Mexico, , , get it over with...

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
and i'm planning on going off-grid for as long as i have to...it is a luxury to have those powered sockets along the walls to plug things into

it's a 'nice break' to do something different like this, for me, and the wife is still on-board, but the novelty has warn off and the 'extra steps' come with 'timing' to boot , so , yeah, we're getting the "green", and tonight, although that program is over, for now, we kept as much individually turned off, as was practical, and yes, i notice the normal 'waste' but, let me ask: if they're making it and i'm not using it...

technically: isn't that the Real Waste?

'cept, they're not making electricity for us as they once promised us they would...as they were selling our parents and grand parents on the taxes they're gonna have to pay in order to electrify the country, to pay for it all, ...they told us it would always be available and turned on at high volume...just for US

perhaps their intentions were good, way back then, but look at what we have now:
farking politicians who lie every chance they get, and farking communists who are hell bent on tearing down our entire grid structure, replace it with daisy's and dreams of once being a respectable country, but now we're gonna be even less respected, because of all the privilege we have...everyone but the blacks...yeah, i don't really get it...

eh, anyways...

it's not going to kill many of us if it goes out, contrary to 'popular legend', people do survive without electricity...see Africa, Latin America, Parts of the Orient, parts of the Middle East...

and now it's our turn...but wait...these people never had it in the first place...

it's a Real Nice Convenience but not having it isn't gonna kill us...

we should just become a Provence of Canada, or a State of Mexico, , , get it over with...

I think Bugs Bunny has a solution to our woes.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
you made a wrong turn near Albuquerque....

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why? A quick search says a whole house Generac on a 1000 gallon propane tank will go about 2 weeks continuously. Heck I can run a small bedroom window A/C unit on my 5000watt portable for several days on the gas I have stored around the house. Granted, a 1000 gallon propane tank isn't exactly cheap, but all in with a generator you wouldn't be much over $10k vs a whole house solar setup in the $20-30K range, plus replacing batteries every 5-7 years.

If the power grid goes down and stays down, we're all gonna be heading back to the stone age real quick and a solar panel to run some LED lights or charge your cell phone isn't gonna mean much. In that scenario, I suppose I will have to forego my A/C...
I used to be a service manager at a local electrical company that installs generac generators. every time there was a storm, we'd get a TON of calls from people saying their gens didn't start up. There were a LOT of various issues such as the transfer switch being corroded, some module or other had failed, or bushings had gone bad, oil leaks, etc etc. It seemed to me that they really aren't worth the pain. That's my $0.02 based on a year of experience. The people with generators that work loved them. The people with a lemon system hate them.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I used to be a service manager at a local electrical company that installs generac generators. every time there was a storm, we'd get a TON of calls from people saying their gens didn't start up. There were a LOT of various issues such as the transfer switch being corroded, some module or other had failed, or bushings had gone bad, oil leaks, etc etc. It seemed to me that they really aren't worth the pain. That's my $0.02 based on a year of experience. The people with generators that work loved them. The people with a lemon system hate them.
You really have to have a rigorous testing system. Run it once a month at least.

Stay on top of things. I don't know how good or bad generac systems are, but every place I've worked at or been around that had major industrial backup generators, tried to run them periodically so that when needed, they could quickly fire up.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
You really have to have a rigorous testing system. Run it once a month at least.
My brother in Fl. loves his Generac and runs it for an hour every month. I think the "Manual" recommends occasional running to keep maintenance to a minimum and ready for emergencies.
One hurricane he turned his house into the neighborhood HQ as he had the only electric. The men set up a neighborhood watch 24 hrs a day., and cleared the streets for the power co. trucks to have easy access. The women brought food that could parish and kept a kitchen going 24 hrs a day. Satellite and charged smart phones kept the group informed of NEWS.
It took 10 days for the power co. trucks to reach the neighborhood.

WQFTruckster

Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Good to know. I heard a similar "didn't start when I needed it" generac story from a friend the other day. I'm thinking maybe smaller, redundant generators might be a better choice. The first priority is keeping the freezers going. Being able to run the well pump is also a good thing. Our current gen is just enough to handle the startup current when the pump kicks on. Lights and charging cell phones is obviously handy. A/C is certainly more a comfort thing than a necessity. But when a hurricane dumps a ton of rain and then knocks power out for a week+ in the middle of August in FL it starts seeming a lot more like a necessity--especially with wife and kids. Again, long term grid down scenarios are a whole other animal.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Me I can't swing the expense for a Generac. I am considering a Harbor Freight portable gas powered generator. In 30+ yrs the longest my power has ever been down was 2 1/2 days in an ice storm when the weather-heads said would be a light coating of snow. :bang head:
Sent the Wife and kids to her family where power was not affected.
Built a fire in the fireplace, pulled out the Mossy 12ga. and the wind-up/ solar powered radio, and kept the cell phone charged up. Kept an eye on the property and my neighbors' ( surrounded by medically challenged women ), especially at night. Everything went O.K.
So I think I can get by with a small unit, a power strip and extension cords.

WQFTruckster

Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I've been looking hard at the Harbor Freight gens too. They seem like a pretty good bang for the buck.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Maybe the thing to think about is, not, what generator to buy, but how to protect your food.

Do you have friends/neighbors close by (walking distance) that have equipment that will keep their refrigerators going, that you could pop some stuff in?

There's cost/benefit to consider. Buying a five-figure permanent-installation generator won't make sense if the power is seldom out. And if we have the Big One, you're not going to have more than the fuel you have on hand, anyway, with gas transmission shut off, no diesel, no propane. And you might be killed for your electric lights.

In the past, I got by with a high-capacity inverter that could/can be wired up to car battery terminals...leave the engine run at a fast idle (stick on the pedal; get it to about 1500 rpm) and run a cord into your home. Done it twice, two separate emergencies. No issues, aside from the inconvenience. That cost me all of $250, back 150 years ago. The food I saved, was probably at least that in value.

Now I have a Honda suitcase inverter, I can justify with its RV potential. But it'll also work in emergencies.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
A whole house Generac generator can be setup to automatically do a 5 minute test run every two weeks (recommended) or once a month. And you can monitor it remotely for any issues and have Generac too If you wish.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
We gotbplenty of mexis. Hook upbsome junk bicycles to generators and get peddling.

The joke is on them that the USA will be lower than Mexico if the people in power continue messing everything up

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Stay on top of things. I don't know how good or bad generac systems are, but every place I've worked at or been around that had major industrial backup generators, tried to run them periodically so that when needed, they could quickly fire up.
There is an automatic generator test schedule for Generac that's programmed by a install tech. I can't remember if it is every week or every other week, but it comes on and does the run for like 20 mins. Thing is, the automatic transfer switches also cause problems when the gen kicks on but the switch doesn't shift the load from the commercial power line to the generator circuit. They do train the homeowner how to do it though so there is that.