• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Radiant Heat Flooring

JayDubya

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Anyone here ever install a radiant heat flooring system?

If so:
What was the cost per SQ FT? I know it can vary wildly depending on product.
Can you recommend a product/manufacturer?
Was it a PITA to install?
Was it worth it? - Would you do it again, knowing what you know now?
Any tips on things to look out for?
Any issues arise since you've installed it?

I'm in Texas so I don't really have that great a need for it. Actually, more or less, just something the wife would "prefer" to have if it's deemed worth it.

We're remodeling the master bath, taking it down to studs and the slab, so IF I'm ever gonna do this, now would be the time.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I put electric floor heat in my master bath. The heating elements are in a matt imbedded in the mortar under the tiles. The system for my 4x10 foot area was about $400 total. The thermostat was over $200 of that. I would put it in again and I wish I would have put it in my guest bath too. I picked mine up at home depot.

BP

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Same here. It's easy and relatively cheap. I haven't personally lived with it since I've only installed for others aside from the one I hadn't hooked up yet before my divorce.
Esmond Bathroom SS (5).JPG
Esmond Bathroom SS (9).JPG

Attachments

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
New Englandehr heahr. I helped my older brother run lines on his garage floor before the slab was poured. We also attempted to place them in between joists for first floor. Temprature was in 40's and tubing was not very flexible. Very comfortable walking on a heated floor.

Seeing as you've got slab poured, go with recommendations from Bushpilot and newmisty.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
My parents home had the radiant ceiling heat, wright-bachman home built in 1969, they all failed pretty quickly, most of those homes burned down.

Today there would have been a major class action lawsuit

BackwardsEngineeer

What me worry?
Silver Miner
I have used it in several homes, mostly in the tiled bath floors. Used the thermos oft product on the last one. Super easy to put in prior to tiling, ran extra thermocouple should it fail and honestly truly loved the result. We had a large master bath that had a vaulted ceiling 14 at the peak, so keeping heat at the floor was difficult, we used the floor heat to maintain room temp and pretty much turned the other system off... 40+ years ago while living up north the people across the street had a in slab hydronic system with valves at one end of the slab. I remember walking over after a large snow in extremely cold weather, left my boots at the front door an hour later all the tracked in snow was gone and my boots dry.
Radiant is awesome heat, truly wish we had it in our current place even here in SC.... when you feet are warm you are warm!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Good thread! I will be getting rid of the "floating floor" laminate that runs all through the house here in the next year or so and I'm going to run the mesh heating elements under the new floor. I was going to do that when we built it but the costs were ridiculous 14 years ago.
New floor will be that cushy quiet vinyl stuff they roll out that looks like wood, or stone or whatevethefeck look you want.

I already have a power source on a big breaker in the water heater closet leftover from our fun with on demand hot water. Rough math figured right around $1100 in the heating equipment from Home Depot. Flooring is like a buck sixty nine a square foot. Not too bad really.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I put in a couple of these types. One on a slab and another over hardi backer.

Esmond Bathroom SS (5).JPG
Esmond Bathroom SS (6).JPG
Esmond Bathroom SS (9).JPG

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I put in a couple of these types. One on a slab and another over hardi backer.
Only thing available way back was a product called Z Mesh. It was new, unproven and crazy expensive. Many more choices now.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Only thing available way back was a product called Z Mesh. It was new, unproven and crazy expensive. Many more choices now.

Yeah, Thank you guys for catching me up!

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Good thread! I will be getting rid of the "floating floor" laminate that runs all through the house here in the next year or so and I'm going to run the mesh heating elements under the new floor. I was going to do that when we built it but the costs were ridiculous 14 years ago.
New floor will be that cushy quiet vinyl stuff they roll out that looks like wood, or stone or whatevethefeck look you want.

I already have a power source on a big breaker in the water heater closet leftover from our fun with on demand hot water. Rough math figured right around $1100 in the heating equipment from Home Depot. Flooring is like a buck sixty nine a square foot. Not too bad really.

Was up at Brotha's house for Christmas eve party. Taking off boots and stepping on the warm concrete floor was a joy.

Had I known of the product I would have looked into it when I tiled the foyer and laundry in my split level ranch. I do have a baseboard electric heating element there but it's hidden behind a piano. Laying on living room floor I can feel the cold air coming up the stair. Previous owner installed an accordion door in doorway. Could never bring myself to do that.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Wool socks from LL bean. bout 15 bucks a pr. When the power goes out your feet are still warm. :).
I seriously wish i had done this in the tile floors I already put down. I still have 2 bathrooms and a LR floor to do though. The bathrooms will get it for sure.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I'm curious to see links to any of the newer heat systems you may have handy. TIA
I priced out the Sun touch, it's popular and priced pretty good. There was a display of it at Home Depot in Cadillac so I was able to show/explain to my wife that it's not some big scary creature it just goes under any flooring. You just set the thermostat like any other heat source. She thought radiant heat meant guys cutting trenches in the cement to run pipes full of antifreeze.

The new one I did not see to price was the Quiet warmth. That looks really good too and ultra thin.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/heated%20floor?NCNI-5

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I priced out the Sun touch, it's popular and priced pretty good. There was a display of it at Home Depot in Cadillac so I was able to show/explain to my wife that it's not some big scary creature it just goes under any flooring. You just set the thermostat like any other heat source. She thought radiant heat meant guys cutting trenches in the cement to run pipes full of antifreeze.

The new one I did not see to price was the Quiet warmth. That looks really good too and ultra thin.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/heated%20floor?NCNI-5
Yeah, that's the same stuff pictured in my post. Same brand and everything. I put in their (Sun Touch) thermostat for that floor as well. Nice little unit.