• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Rate your Chainsaws

D

• Stihl

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Homelite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jonsered

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Poulan

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I have one of those cheapo earthquake saws from my-nards and of all the saws I have owned its the only one that has lasted over 4 years.

on the flip side I got one of those remington electric saws and it lasted 20 minutes --- has a plastic gear in it.. dont buy one of those things.... ever...

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Sachs Dolmar, my brother gave it to me 25 years ago. It is easy to handle (well balanced) and you can't slow it down. I had to replace the engine mounts once, other than that just file chains and add gas.
Great saws. My girl bought me a Dolmar 510 about 10 years ago.
Lots of power for a homeowner saw.

Jarrod32

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I have a Stihl MS170. There are a couple reviews of this model on page 2 of this thread, and those two reviews sum it up pretty nicely. One of them says this: "... this is not a powerhouse saw but good for the average person who may use it a few times a year."
And that is my use. Spring cleanup of branches that have fallen, cleanup after a few storms through the summer, and some branch trimming here and there. This is far from heavy duty, and far from commercial use quality. If you need to be cutting and stacking firewood all day, this is not the saw for you. But as a basic homeowner saw it works nicely as it is comparatively light and pretty reliable, and serves that purpose nicely.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
DEWALT DCCS670X1 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Brushless Chainsaw Review
TOOL BOSS

Published on Sep 2, 2017
Amazon http://amzn.to/2xGnNuO
Acme Tools http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=137...
Mine was just delivered this evening that I purchased with E Bay bucks. I have had some excellent results with the Dewalt 7 1/4 inch circular saw and sawzalll so far. I do not think this would replace a serious gas chainsaw but for use around my rental properties it might fit the bill quite nicely...and no gas to run out of, sticky carburetors from non use and stale fuel problems

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I would think one of the most important parts of the chain saw is the chain itself, seems most you buy today dont hold an edge.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I would think one of the most important parts of the chain saw is the chain itself, seems most you buy today dont hold an edge.
I usually try to buy pro chain, still needs sharpening often, but cuts faster and works better, howsoever, use caution, does not have those anti-kickback links.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I am loving my 16" 60V Dewalt chainsaw that I got a month or so ago. It seems to me to cut as fast as any other gas fed saw, I don't have to run and get mixed fresh fuel and it starts and stops with the pull or release of the trigger. It works very silently and is always ready. I used it to cut an approx 20 inch tree so I got assorted cuts along with 24 cuts through the trunk on one battery.
As a downside on the kit Dewalt includes its very cheapest 20V charger meaning recharges take up a lot of time necessitating downtime without extra batteries. Luckily I have the 60V fast charger that came with the circular saw along with extra batteries.
For someone like me that needs a saw for off and on needs as a landlord that actively takes care of their properties its perfect so far. I gave my gas poulan away to a landscaper because I wont need it anymore.
Incidentally I bought it on Ebay when there was a 10% bucks deal ...and got enough bucks to buy a nice silver dollar

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I got a contact from a Craiglist customer, guy wanted his 24 inch split firewood cut in half. So I picked up a couple saws at my brothers a Johnsered 670 and Stihl 24; I ended up using the Johnsered, the power made the difference. $50 to cut a bunch of logs in half, the time driving up twice and back made it kind of a service exercise. I told the guy to paypal me which he did not want to do. In this day and age that should be super easy.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Anyone know where to get one of these?

USA Today says it's an option

image.png

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have written that I have a Stihl MS361 and it has usually served me well. Usually. But there were times when I wanted to cut and it would not start. Recently I ran out of time and ideas and took it to the chainsaw place for repair. I had already replaced the magneto and carb. If I remember right, they found a broken ring, a stuck ring, and a problem with the unloading button. They cleaned the piston with ultrasonic and I told them I did not care about the unloading button and they could replace it with a plug. It ran great! A good running saw with a sharp chain is "almost" fun to use, when the chips hit my pants so hard and fast I can feel them.

Today, my saw ran out of power just as I expected it to run out of gas. So I turned it off before it ran completely dry. Later, I filled it up and tried to start it. No dice. I cleaned the spark plug with carb cleaner and scraped the contacts with a knife. Still no joy. Put in a new plug, no joy. Let it sit for a couple h ours, and it started up. Must have been flooded in the cylinder, I guess. But in just a couple minutes of cutting, it lost power and popped like a backfire three times. Huh?! I have never had it backfire before.

So I am thinking I should think about a second chainsaw as a backup for times when I need... no make that NEED! to cut and my MS361 is balking.

I am asking for recommendations from our esteemed members. I am looking for reliability and value. My 24 inch bar and 84 link chain handle everything, and I would like to stay with that. Please do NOT point to videos. I value your opinions and experiences. A high-bandwidth video is a waste of time and bandwidth. Thanks.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I am asking for recommendations from our esteemed members. I am looking for reliability and value. My 24 inch bar and 84 link chain handle everything, and I would like to stay with that. Please do NOT point to videos. I value your opinions and experiences. A high-bandwidth video is a waste of time and bandwidth. Thanks.
If you need something to saw 24", stay with the same size or switch to the MS290 Farm Boss. I usually run a 20" bar 81 link bar on mine and am able to cut whatever I need, but I also have a 28" 91 link bar for it for when the need demands. I've two smaller saws, both MS180s, one is quite old has been repaired a couple times, still my main saw for up a certain size log. I use it and the newer one mostly for cutting brush and firewood. Like I said, up to a certain size log, then I'll haul out the MS290. I have three other saws, but only two are working and neither one of those are all that great.

Sorry I missed your post here - I do not watch many youtube videos on forums. I want to watch those, I go on the youtube and do a search for what I'm looking up. On my slower connection, those really slow up load time on a forum page.

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I don't watch the videos because of bandwidth and hassle, but I will say that I like a chainsaw to be reliable, powerful, and repairable. My Stihl MS361 has given me problems over the last decade (?) but after spending a few $$$ on repairs, it is going strong. The chain is obviously important. I have been using the "woodland pro" chain, and it is the best I have ever used. Yes, I have to sharpen it often, but it cuts fast and deep. I say that a good chain should cut so well it is almost fun. If it is work, the chain needs sharpening. Or if it seems to pull to one side.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It's probably best that I don't own a "real" chainsaw. I would be a danger to myself and others. However, I did buy one of those electric chainsaws from Harbor Freight that's mounted on an extendable pole. I've been quite impressed with it. Follow the directions in the manual, keep it oiled well and it's great for trimming branches, taking down small trees and unwanted saplings around the property. If using more than 50' from an outlet do yourself and the saw a favor and use a 12 gauge extension cord so you don't starve the saw while cutting.

Yes, I did the bold, daring and some would say "stupid" thing and loaned the saw out to 2 friends. One is a mechanical wizard who knows how to use, repair, optimize and modify most tools and the other is familiar with a hammer and screwdriver. Both quite successfully used the chainsaw and trimmed up their properties quite nicely. Yes, it was returned clean and in full functioning order.

I've had this saw for over 2 years now and have not had one single problem with it..neither have I hurt myself or others with it. It gets the Alton Seal of Good Yard-keeping.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
All my saws are in hibernation right now. I did have reason to start one up last week, MS180 Stihl, great little saw, not my oldest, but it is my go to saw when I just have some smaller stuff to cut. Took a bit of cranking to get the gas flowing, but, cold as it was, it did start and I was soon warmed up as well from cutting, pitching and moving the wood to the shed.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
I went to a friend's property recently; he had bought a Stihl 290 that is an OK homeowner saw; plus he had two Husquavarnas, the largest he had put a 3' saw blade on.

I got this from Sam:

"horse power really makes a difference when cutting big logs. both big saws run and cut. the 281 xp got a new piston and rings and cylinder honing after ring burned due to stale fuel. not much mileage on this saw. it is a little stiff to start. u have to pull for all ur worth! but thats a good thing, means good compression and power.. found 4 sharp chains to fit both. (2 each).plus 2 dull ones that fit the 266. check cutters choice for extra chains, sprockets. half doz extra sharp chains is likely good back up. the old husky(1984) still has muscle. starts easy and delivers plenty of oil to the bar. "

The largest one barely starts, no compression release, more trouble than it is worth. The 266 isn't that bad but still junk in comparison to quality saws I have used like Stihl 44/46 and Husky 394xp. The right tools reasonably modern are essential.

Also he had bought a couple reject log splitters with Kohler engines from China that had serious problems, rusted valves on the big one and a dysfunctional carb. on the smaller Kohler, would never happen with a normal Honda, etc. engine. The larger 9.5 engine seized up within an hour.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The last Husqvarna I used looked and felt like it was made by Fisher Price and I recall one of the flimsy plastic control widgets coming right off in my hand. Their name has lost all value I previously held in it.

My current saw is the Stihl MS250.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Had my still farm boss for 3 plus years now. Bought it the last year they made it. I think that was 3 or 4 years ago. I sharpen the chain, add gas and oil and go cut wood. It works the way its supposed to work, starts overtime. I drop trees and cut firewood.
I don't earn a living with my saw but I do live through the winters because of it. 400 bucks well spent.
Not sure what they replaced it with and a little surprised they discontinued it to be honest. It's just a great all around saw.

Apologies if info on this had already been posted here. 14 pages is hard to go through. :)

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Apologies if info on this had already been posted here. 14 pages is hard to go through. :)
Same here on the MS290. Good saw. As I've posted somewhere back there in all the clutter, I have 5 working saws and one I need to rebuild the carb. The MS290 is the one I use mostly for cutting larger trees, the smaller MS180s I use for smaller trees and brush. The Stihls are the saws I'd grab first, no matter what the job.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hell I have been running an 075 with a 42inch bar just cutting fire wood. I'll get a picture later. So far there is one dead cat and about 15 to 20 cord cut.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Jacking An Essex Ranch Fatty
hotsaws101

Published on Mar 23, 2018
So here we are on the Essex Ranch again in the fatty redwoods.
Always a pleasure working with my buddy Chris - who gives the thumbs up for the outcome.
This takes awhile, but, not interested in speed due to the value of the tree.
Noticed a nice rift crack in the jack seat as well.
Managed to stretch her right out with the aid of Chris setting up the lay perfectly - always nice to have a Cat at your disposal!
Using my standard insane-o 064 sporting a 3' Stihl lightweight bar with Oregon full skip, full chisel chain. Seems as though the chain took a hit ripping the two apart.
I am currently available for port work. Please shoot me an email if you are interested.
danger_cat@rocketmail.com
Thanks for watching.
K, had to stop when he did the farmers cut.....then there was the putting the driver/ax in the cut.....wtf is wrong with this world? Has it changed that much?

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
A friend and I did another log splitting job this week. CL ad, as usual not getting what the work was worth, but that is tolerable. $250 for the better part of the day with the friend. We got my Jonsered 2077 back up and running. Wood was mainly hickory and sugar maple. 2 cords or more.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The cheap chineseum Baus that I bought years ago now is still trucking along, starts well and does all I ask of it! Still can't believe that they could deliver it let alone build it for the price.