• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

RE Ky Thoughts? Experts? Help?

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Okay, so I am looking around, I got some money and thought I should convert but not to you know what.
Land, farm living is the life for me.
Looking around the Munfordville - Mammouth Cave - Bowling Green area etc, among other areas.
I basically drew a circle around where I live and this is in that circle. We drove the backroads around there about a year ago or so.
We really liked it.

So I was thinking maybe that "exodus" out of stranger danger Louisville would drive up prices. However, I wasn't thinking clearly. Places like Nolin Lake which have water and trees and boating are generally weekend places, not that I would know normally, but every ahole I have met around here at work has a weekend place there for boating. Also I think some were that airbnb thing, maybe even some might have been purchased for that purpose. Well, nobody is traveling too much, economic nightmare going on, no flying to speak of. I think that place (Nolin) is going to get cheaper by the crisis.
However, I did find a few lots bordering the National Park, 25 and 30 acre, more if you want it, both have woods and pasture. Nice property.

About $2500 an acre. I don't know if that is good, but I think I'd pay about $2000 an acre. No buildings.

We can't move now, so it would be a me thing during the week on weekends my wife could come.
I am not sure how I would proceed, perhaps a manufactured home eventually. Or maybe a pole barn with a loft, then I could move my extra cars there and stay overnight. My wife should be done working in 3 years, so then we could add a house or cabin.

You RE guys, what do you think?

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Living quarters! One floor, laid out how you like. Heated / cooled floor, laundry room, pantry, workshop, garage, cold storage all in one.
Make the overhang big so you can park stuff under it.

Been thinking of a 50' x 100'. 25 x 50 for 1250 sq feet of living area, 30 x 25 shop, 30 x 25 garage, 45 x 50 cold storage. High enough it could have a mezzanine.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
those lots sound nice and reasonably priced. barndominiums are popular these days

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Dat's what I was thinking, I have some old designs somewhere of my bachelor pad when I considered being a "single dad" lol don't tell the boss.
I planned it out to minimize plumbing etc. Basically what you are writing about. I figured I'd do that first, while we live up here, then later a cabin or whatever to live in, garage / apartment loft for family visits and me working on my rides.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
1597361607759.png
Brother in law lived in his pole building while building his home. Worked for him, but after house was complete, he had less floor space to use as a shop/garage than if he would have lived in the rafters of this style roof. Taller isn't that much more expensive since the concrete will be the same. Of course any plumbing will now be visible in your shop ceiling..

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I get it, thanks!!!

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
As you get older stairs ain't so hot.......

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Dog of the working class, yep that's me!

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
5,000 an acre around me for good farm land, and you better farm it or they assess a value of 12k per acre for taxes.

You can't lose buying GOOD land - the population is ever growing but nobody is making new land.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Dat's what I was thinking, I have some old designs somewhere of my bachelor pad when I considered being a "single dad" lol don't tell the boss.
I planned it out to minimize plumbing etc. Basically what you are writing about. I figured I'd do that first, while we live up here, then later a cabin or whatever to live in, garage / apartment loft for family visits and me working on my rides.
I have to build a custom house for a young couple. It started off as one room three stories high. Some years later after he made some more money we built the rest of it around and attached to the original structure.

sSimilarly another friend of mine had purchased some land build a one-room cabin where he his wife into babies lived while he built a genuine a frame house next to it.

Just tossing out some ideas/info.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
east texas piney woods hick country with plenty of diversity -- 1k to 2k per acre. my best guess

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Huh, first I've heard that term.. cute.
in my hood, the budget conscious -- buy some acreage - build a barn type thing and roll travel trailer into it for kitchen/bathroom, etc. barn has an office/living room, maybe a bedroom.....whatever......use the travel trailer and barn in combination

travel trailer also serves as vacation lodging on trips, not fixed to the barn

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is like my pm strategy....my hair is on fire

What i am seeing is a lot of people who bought within 3 years selling. Nice wooded plots.

My wife likes the idea of the travel trailer in the barn thing or just a roof over it and a pad. Popular around here in the sticks near water

A way of testing the water if you like it over time. Building something more substantial now could be a mistake if three years from now we decided to move to europe totally or half year. More thinking necessary lol
Great ideas guys you are helpful to jog the mind.