• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Red Army Ammo?

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Looking for some inexpensive paper target ammo. Ran across this.

Has anyone here ever fired this stuff? If so, whats the verdict.
Should I buy some? Yay or nay?

1000 Round Case - 223 Rem 55 Grain FMJ Steel Case Red Army Standard Ammo Made in Russia - AM3089
Made by TCW, Imported by Century Arms
SKU number: AM3089
Bi-metal magnetic bullet jacket with lead core. Polymer coated steel case
20 Rounds Per Box, 50 boxes per case

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-...-fmj-steel-case-red-army-standard-ammo-made-r

1600216328842.png

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wow!

Even the cheap ammo is expensive...

Aurumag

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Either except it or run out eventually and join the anti shooting crowd.
I am currently a member of the anti-shooting crowd because I am unable to replace any ammo I shoot.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
As for the OP, most of Russian stuff will run dirty, its possible you could run into extraction issues. I've heard it can plug up the gas system in an AR with a lot of rounds down range (I;m guessing thats what you are shooting?)... and be a little rough on the chamber. I guess it depends on how much you want to shoot it

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The other thing about the .223 is it's a straight walled case. No taper, brass tends to have a little "spring back" after it has been fired that helps the straight walled case extract. Steel has little to no spring back. So can be hard on extractors or maybe fail to extract. 762x39 was designed to run steel cased ammo... The dirtier the better :D

I'm sure it'll run, it's just stuff to look out for.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
If you use it in an AK 74, then MAYBE.

But you WILL have problems (major or minor, depending on your luck) shooting it out of pretty much any AR.

HK recommends to NOT shoot steel case rounds out of their AR's (out of any HK's actually).

just sharing

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
We have discussed the extractor issue at work several times and have concluded that for the discounted cost of shooting steel vs brass you can buy a whole lot of replacement extractors.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
If you use it in an AK 74, then MAYBE.

But you WILL have problems (major or minor, depending on your luck) shooting it out of pretty much any AR.

HK recommends to NOT shoot steel case rounds out of their AR's (out of any HK's actually).

just sharing
I had a buddy shoot the steel case stuff from his AR; after 20 rounds or so, the casings began jamming in the breech. He had to use a wooden dowel to get them out.

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The other thing about the .223 is it's a straight walled case. No taper, brass tends to have a little "spring back" after it has been fired that helps the straight walled case extract. Steel has little to no spring back. So can be hard on extractors or maybe fail to extract. 762x39 was designed to run steel cased ammo... The dirtier the better :D

I'm sure it'll run, it's just stuff to look out for.
I don't like steel.

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Everything I read about the Red Army ammo was overwhelmingly positive. Very few issues noted by people leaving reviews.
I just wanted to check in with y'all. Thanks for the replies

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Everything I read about the Red Army ammo was overwhelmingly positive. Very few issues noted by people leaving reviews.
Grab a smallish amount and try it out. If you like it, buy more. If you don't...well, don't.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We have discussed the extractor issue at work several times and have concluded that for the discounted cost of shooting steel vs brass you can buy a whole lot of replacement extractors.

EVEN though that is true, doing that while you are at your bench killing a Saturday afternoon swapping it out is one thing.

DOING THAT, even between skirmishes with local crazies, even assuming that you have three or four AK's to pick up to continue the fight, getting back to the ones with broken extractors, which is basically an easy task, again with an on going skirmish - being down one or worse two (out of three/five) AK's that won't get fixed any time soon.

Come on, it's why you purchased the AK. Cheap AND reliable. Both ammo and firearm.
You know it's true. I wouldn't ROOSTER POOT yah. Honest!!!

Aurumag

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Grab a smallish amount and try it out. If you like it, buy more. If you don't...well, don't.
If you don't like it, then keep it to barter with your enemies.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Just curious, were the reviews .223 specific or just on Red Army ammo?

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If you don't like it, then keep it to barter with your enemies.
Dont know if its true or not. But I read where the U.S. would randomly drop crates of 7.62x39 all around northern Vietnam. But when they would shoot it some of the cartridges were loaded at extreme pressures and would destroy the weapon and who ever was holding it. Made the NVC very nervous to shoot their weapons.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Dont know if its true or not. But I read where the U.S. would randomly drop crates of 7.62x39 all around northern Vietnam. But when they would shoot it some of the cartridges were loaded at extreme pressures and would destroy the weapon and who ever was holding it. Made the NVC very nervous to shoot their weapons.
Not quite right.

In the early part of the Games, the VC used "no-stock" tommy guns. They had acquired lotsa them from black market and raids on the ARVN.

Special .45 cal ammo was produced and cases of it were purposely "abandoned" any time the ARVN's retreated from the VC.

The .45's were loaded with high explosive. It would blow the bolt right back through the shooter.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Not quite right.

In the early part of the Games, the VC used "no-stock" tommy guns. They had acquired lotsa them from black market and raids on the ARVN.

Special .45 cal ammo was produced and cases of it were purposely "abandoned" any time the ARVN's retreated from the VC.

The .45's were loaded with high explosive. It would blow the bolt right back through the shooter.
Thanks for the clarity, was actually hoping you stumbled onto that post walt. Interesting stuff for sure.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
BTW -- Those cases were marked (so we wouldn't use them). Not a big mark, but you could not miss it. Danged if'n I can find any mention of this on the Net. <-- Looks like
Winston Smith is on the job...

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I use it in my VZ-58s. They run flawlessly 7.62 x 39. Brass seems like a PM when I'm shooting anything anymore.