• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Revolvers less reliable than Autos?

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Bullshit ! This guy just wants to make a video - ego maniac.
Very simple & far more realistic, when a semi-auto hits a dead round, or a case erupts, it jams, yes there are exceptions, generally this is true.
When a revolver hits a dead round, or a case erupts, it simply rotates to the next round, always !
Keep your guns, all guns, out of the dirt, HELLO !

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
As a military/police gun the revolver is outclassed, but I'm keeping mine. If I knew a riot was going to break out, or the zombies were going to arrive, I'd load all my magazine weapons first.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yea I think the guy just wanted to hear himself talk!

No auto in the world will handle all of the "hot" loads I send down range in my Ruger 44mag.
Videos like this are an example of why I'm not a big follower of these designer internet celebrities. Anyone can make a video and post it online these days. That doesn't mean there's any value to them.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Videos like this are an example of why I'm not a big follower of these designer internet celebrities. Anyone can make a video and post it online these days. That doesn't mean there's any value to them.
To be fair, the headline should be a give away to the authors (lack of) efficacy.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I feel this is hard to beat for home security. It is, in my opinion, perfect for close quarters protection.
45/410 combo will stop anyone.
I have a Sig P226 & P228 & I love them, but for close quarters, this is it.

edit: S/N is not visible ! :2 thumbs up:

THE JUDGE BEFORE THE GRIPS !!! 013 - Copy (Small).jpg

HERE COME DA JUDGE WITH NEW GRIPS !!! 024 (Small).jpg

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have had my S&W 357 for,over 50 years. One shot, center mass, and they are down for the count.
I can take out 6, for sure, before I grab my shotgun.
I don't mind my automatics, but for comfort and accuracy, my 357 gets first shot.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I had a revolver fail on me once when I had a mountain lion in my yard. I keep a 44 special Charter Arms 5 shot snubby around as a pocket gun. It fits my back pocket nicely and doesn't weigh much. It's easier than holstering up every time I walk out to the barn. Granted, Charter Arms has made some pretty cheezy revolvers and this one was loose and sloppy the day I bought it brand new.
So I hadn't cleaned this gun in ages and it was gritty.
My dog came running by with the lion on her tail. When the lion saw me it stopped and started fly-fishing with it's tail, within rock-throwing distance. Nothing really threatening about the lion, but I didn't like having it around with my dog and all..... so I pull the snubby and the trigger goes back a little and stops. So I turn the cylinder with my left hand and it cocks. by then the lion is making tracks and I shoot at it 4 times, turning the cylinder between shots, missing every time.
So now I clean the POS once a year whether it needs it or not. Sometimes I just do a quick check and dump the cartridges out and dry fire it 5 times, then reload.
I still love wheelguns, get an old Ruger or Smith and take reasonable care of it and you can trust your life to it. The latter companies make 44 specials, but they are all quite a bit heavier than my POS Charter Arms so I still carry it.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Taezzar, those custom grips are awesome!
You are quite the woodworker.
Thank you, it was a labor of love. The stock grips are lousy, when I fired it, the trigger guard would bite my middle finger.
It was make new grips, or sell the gun. I am very happy that I made the grips. This is one helluva a great pistol.
The 7 inch barrel keeps the 410 shot in a tight pattern. About 12 inches at 15 feet. I uncrimp the 410 & reload with BB's & recrimp with a little wax seal.
I started with a plain grip & mixed up some Bondo, put it in a plastic bag & wrapped my hand around the grip.
This put my grip onto the plain grips. I then reshaped the grips to match my hand perfectly. I used small Dremel
drum sanders of various grits & diameters to form to my fingers.

HERE COME DA JUDGE .. !!! 016 (Small).png

After shaping the Bondo

HERE COME DA JUDGE.  !!! 022 (Small).png

Then I bought a beautiful block of Cocobolo wood from Peru. It has natural wax in it, so you must go slow so as to not burn it. The finish is simply rubbing with an old T-shirt.
I have a Bridgeport style milling machine, so I was able to machine a tight match between the wood & the metal frame.
Note the alignment inserts inside the grips, they fit snug into the matching holes in the frame. They have a relief for the hammer spring rod.
HERE COME DA JUDGE  ....!!! 029 (Small).png

I also cut the block carefully, to match the grain from side to side.

HERE COME DA JUDGE  !!! 026 (Small).jpg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I dunno how many pistols I have, but three of them are wheelguns. My absolute fave -- and my go-to emergency handgun -- will forever be my Centennial .44 Magnum hogleg. It is a rifle-power pistol.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
anything mechanical can fail espcially if neglected or abused.......in a panic close quarters situation like a charging bear i want a revolver every time ......
Well, tazz, the answer is keep yer tool clean ! :gracious::dduck::dduck::dduck:

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I had a 44 mag revolver fail me...albeit it was at a range. Factory round went off as I pulled trigger...not sure what happened but cylinder did not fully rotate to next round..cylinder was froze in that position...trigger locked up...played hell getting the cylinder to open..could not remove empty case due to swelling (assume that was the issue...possible hot load)...have not had that issue again....but the revolver did fail

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I had a 44 mag revolver fail me...albeit it was at a range. Factory round went off as I pulled trigger...not sure what happened but cylinder did not fully rotate to next round..cylinder was froze in that position...trigger locked up...played hell getting the cylinder to open..could not remove empty case due to swelling (assume that was the issue...possible hot load)...have not had that issue again....but the revolver did fail
I respectully submit that the round failed, not the revolver

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Horsefeathers! ^^^^see above for more details^^^^^

Where the hell did he buy that POS revolver anyway? I wouldn't trust my life to that cheap piece of potmetal! Was it made in China?
They are both Smith & Wesson's so quality should not be an issue.
Personally, I never like any S&W w/ three digits even though that supposed to indicated the metal change.
I love my Model 10 w/ bull barrel and I always wanted a Model 15, but that was back in the mid 70s.
In the '80s I went with Beretta pistols and never looked back.
The only benefit I see with a revolver is they don't spread evidence around unless you are in a fight that requires reloading.
Shot placement is the key to all shooting.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The latter companies make 44 specials, but they are all quite a bit heavier than my POS Charter Arms so I still carry it.
That weight helps you regain On-Target speed/reaction.
"Charter Arms" said it all for me. That is like entering a Cross Walk when the symbol is flashing yellow. You are taking your life into your own hands in both circumstances.
Give me a Charter Arms and it gets traded immediately for a Ruger, S&W, or old Colt even if I got to kick in some money. At least it makes a down payment.
Charter Arms is like buying a used car. You may be buying someone else's problems. JMPO

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
On lightweight revolvers you're asking for trouble when using +P rounds because the recoil can unseat bullets from their cartridges to the point where the front of the bullet rubs, preventing rotation of the cylinder.

That weight helps you regain On-Target speed/reaction.
"Charter Arms" said it all for me. That is like entering a Cross Walk when the symbol is flashing yellow. You are taking your life into your own hands in both circumstances.
Give me a Charter Arms and it gets traded immediately for a Ruger, S&W, or old Colt even if I got to kick in some money. At least it makes a down payment.
Charter Arms is like buying a used car. You may be buying someone else's problems. JMPO
All true, but as the saying goes "The best handgun is the one you have on you". I do own bigger, better and heavier guns that I carry is Grizzly country, but who wants to put on a belt and holster just to walk 40 yards to the barn? That's what the POS Charter Arms is for. BTW, Charter Arms was sold a couple times and quality varies according to date of manufacture. Most including mine are pretty sorry. The design is not as robust as Smith or Ruger, but some of them are worthy of consideration.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The round went on target...the next round was unable to fire....I could argue that it is the round that causes most semi auto malfunctions to...point being the revolver did not go off when I pulled the trigger...it is not immune to possble failures

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The round went on target...the next round was unable to fire....I could argue that it is the round that causes most semi auto malfunctions to...point being the revolver did not go off when I pulled the trigger...it is not immune to possble failures
But it is the round that causes most failures, unless you store your guns in a box of dirt that is! Then it's the dirt's fault!

Last edited:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
revolvers are cool and work

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
On lightweight revolvers you're asking for trouble when using +P rounds because the recoil can unseat bullets from their cartridges to the point where the front of the bullet rubs, preventing rotation of the cylinder.

All true, but as the saying goes "The best handgun is the one you have on you". I do own bigger, better and heavier guns that I carry is Grizzly country, but who wants to put on a belt and holster just to walk 40 yards to the barn? That's what the POS Charter Arms is for. BTW, Charter Arms was sold a couple times and quality varies according to date of manufacture. Most including mine are pretty sorry. The design is not as robust as Smith or Ruger, but some of them are worthy of consideration.
S&W makes some very lightweight, big bore revolvers in their K-frame size, I think. They’re very pricy, but also more trustworthy than Charter Arms or Taurus, etc.

OK. Did a quick search and found the S&W 329PD. It’s a 44 magnum revolver, holds six rounds, is built on their N-frame, out of a scandium alloy, with a titanium cylinder, like their 360PD, which is a j-frame 357 magnum, weighing about 12 ounces. This one weighs about 25 ounces and has a suggested retail price of $1200, so it will probably have a street price of about $1000.
The 360PD is a beast to shoot with magnums; I don’t like doing it, so I imagine this thing would be an absolute monster with 44 Maggie’s loaded in it. But! You could load it with 44 specials, if you wanted, with the potential of maggies, if you felt the absolute need. Dammit! Now I want one.
FD55FE11-4C0C-4A32-931E-1BB49568CD78.jpeg

Last edited:

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
S&W makes some very lightweight, big bore revolvers in their K-frame size, I think. They’re very pricy, but also more trustworthy than Charter Arms or Taurus, etc.

OK. Did a quick search and found the S&W 329PD. It’s a 44 magnum revolver, holds six rounds, is built on their N-frame, out of a scandium alloy, with a titanium cylinder, like their 360PD, which is a j-frame 357 magnum, weighing about 12 ounces. This one weighs about 25 ounces and has a suggested retail price of $1200, so it will probably have a street price of about $1000.
The 360PD is a beast to shoot with magnums; I don’t like doing it, so I imagine this thing would be an absolute monster with 44 Maggie’s loaded in it. But! You could load it with 44 specials, if you wanted, with the potential of maggies, if you felt the absolute need. Dammit! Now I want one.
View attachment 144837
Thanks for the info, I did not know about this new revolver. It weighs only 4 ounces more than my POS Charter Arms. I will have to do a bit more research, but I may end up wanting to buy one. The extra inch of barrel and the target sights make it less of a pocket gun though. Too bad they don't make a 5 round 44 special model like this with a 3" barrel and shortened cylinder and frame.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Thanks for the info, I did not know about this new revolver. It weighs only 4 ounces more than my POS Charter Arms. I will have to do a bit more research, but I may end up wanting to buy one. The extra inch of barrel and the target sights make it less of a pocket gun though. Too bad they don't make a 5 round 44 special model like this with a 3" barrel and shortened cylinder and frame.
They do make a 2”, 7* shot revolver, on an N-frame ( I think it’s an N-frame), same scandium alloy & titanium construction, called the 327PD. Looks cool. Probably about the same price. It looks nice and compact, but 7 rounds of 357 would make it viable as a big cat or coyote gun, or even possibly a wolf gun or hog gun, maybe? It would be more carryable than that 44.

*I take it back! It’s an eight shot cylinder.
939212D6-181B-41FF-9F7A-F9F3B5A8B0AF.jpeg

6272DEA1-CBD0-4404-8E98-78DF5F05C592.jpeg

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I have a slingshot that's more dependable than a Taurus!!!
See! You do believe in the Bible. David had a sling-shot. He knocked Goliath down with a head shot, then he cut his head off, with his own sword.

hoarder

Dat Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
They do make a 2”, 7* shot revolver, on an N-frame ( I think it’s an N-frame), same scandium alloy & titanium construction, called the 327PD. Looks cool. Probably about the same price. It looks nice and compact, but 7 rounds of 357 would make it viable as a big cat or coyote gun, or even possibly a wolf gun or hog gun, maybe? It would be more carryable than that 44.

*I take it back! It’s an eight shot cylinder.
View attachment 144852
View attachment 144856
I'll never own another 357 Mag. I don't like them. Just as much noise as a 44 Mag. I like the 44 Special because in the real world we don't put ear plugs in when we confront large predators. I have tinitis so I hate Magnums I do have a 44 Magnum because Grizzlies roam these woods, but I don't like all the noise. IMO, Magnum pistol cartridges are for 16" barrels.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I'll never own another 357 Mag. I don't like them. Just as much noise as a 44 Mag. I like the 44 Special because in the real world we don't put ear plugs in when we confront large predators. I have tinitis so I hate Magnums I do have a 44 Magnum because Grizzlies roam these woods, but I don't like all the noise. IMO, Magnum pistol cartridges are for 16" barrels.
I have tinnitus, too, since about the eight or ninth grade, I think. I’ve had it so long, I barely notice it anymore. My mind just blocks it out.

I have two 357’s right now. I don’t even know why I think I want that Smith 329PD; I shot a Smith M29 once and could barely stand the recoil. I have smallish wrists, so I must be a glutton for punishment. I do great with 9MM, 38/357 and even 10MM, but big bore is punishing for me. Nobody’s seen a bear in NE Ohio for a long time. But, there have been big cat sightings, surprisingly and more than a few coyotes. 357 or 10MM will take care of that little stuff.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
one good thing about revolvers is the high power options
I shoot a lot of 44mag...and some 44sp....rarely shoot 44sp anymore due to ammo is less availible more expensive and can foul the cylinder more where its shorter than the mag.....but i have taken to shooting the softer loaded 44mags unless i am hunting and found they are comperable to the 44sp which is comfortable.... like you i carry some old beater guns in the tractors/truck and around the house etc ...better a old beater gun banged up than a high$ gun...but i all i deal with is varmits (no bears or big cats) .....my beaters are 22s n 12ga....