• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Robinhood Hacked?

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
That explains why my one 'free' introductory share went from $4 to $0.60...

Buck

Come On, Man!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The attacks unleashed a torrent of complaints on social media, where investors recounted futile attempts to call the brokerage, which doesn’t have a customer service phone number. Robinhood, which has more than 13 million customer accounts, is now considering whether to add a phone number along with other tools, the person said.

This week, Robinhood sent push notifications to users suggesting they enable two-factor authentication on their accounts.

some said their brokerage accounts were accessed even though they had set up two-factor authentication.

Lena Williams, a human resources professional in the Chicago area, can’t figure out how hackers got into her account more than a month ago. She found no intrusion into her email and had set up two-factor authentication. But one day, she woke up to alerts that her investments were being sold, and she quickly discovered she was locked out of the account.

Miah Brittany Laino, who works at a home-improvement store in Arizona, thought her account was safe for several reasons. She said two-factor authentication initially blocked someone from accessing it on Sept. 13. She then followed Robinhood’s instructions to change her password. The firm said it would prevent trading until she submitted her identification. She didn’t bother to send it in, figuring it would be safer to leave the account disabled.

Early the next morning she received a barrage of alerts on her phone. “It said ‘This stock sold. This stock sold. This stock sold,’” recalled Laino, 29. “It’s like if you wake up at 4 a.m. and your house is on fire.”

“I don’t want to sell right now,” she said. “But I’m not going to put any more money into it. I don’t really trust them.”

(and to think, this could all be prevented, but, instead, we're led to believe 'This Is Our Future!'...now, go ahead and LOVE IT! or else)

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Mine was something like Chesapeake Mining...?