• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

ROCKS!

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have been a mineral collector for most of my life and have amassed a small collection of about 300 pounds of various rocks, minerals, gem stones and fossils. I am going to attempt to give everyone (everyone who takes a peek, that is) a short look inside my collection.

I'll start with Fluorite, it has many varieties, colors and combinations, like this one:

Hard to tell this is the same thing; Fluorite -
Here is a nice little Fluorite crystal on a chunk of quartz:
And these are Fluorite, just covered by a coating of Iron Pyrite
And these small fluorite cubes on somethin or other:

That's it for Fluorite. Should I continue with some of the other stuff?

BF

Last edited:

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Beautiful specimens BF, thanks for sharing. The Flourite on Quartz and the Druse are pretty spectacular. Moar please!

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Thanks, newmisty. I'm gonna wait for a little more feedback before I go any further.

BF

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Ever watch Cody's lab on the Tube?

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
No, I'm a reader type, don't go in much for those new fangled movin picture things. :p:p

Seriously though, I stopped watching TV in the 70s. Even when I do catch a U-Tube I usually look up some refernces to what they're talkin about. What's Cody do?

BF

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
No, I'm a reader type, don't go in much for those new fangled movin picture things. :p:p

Seriously though, I stopped watching TV in the 70s. Even when I do catch a U-Tube I usually look up some refernces to what they're talkin about. What's Cody do?

BF
Refining Uranium metal from ore, walking on mercury, gold from mercury, making and shooting a gold bullet, hunted down a small meteorite and many chemistry and other crazy experiments.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Did you find these or purchase?
Surprisingly I get this question all the time. I usually tell people "Sure, in rock shops all over the US."
A lot of my specimens come from South America. You have to dig way underground for most of the stuff I collect.
Any of the stuff I have actually found is pretty dull and uninteresting.
And prices vary anywhere from $5.00 to $250.00. It also depends on when I purchased them as well (rocks were a lot cheaper in 1969).

BF

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
My pleasure.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Bottom Feeder:
Great pics and please continue the thread.

I'm a bit of a rock hound myself and can contribute some pics if that's ok with you.

--Pyramid

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
One of the very first rocks I ever bought was in early 70s, a big hunk of Amethyst, weighs about five pounds. It is unique because it is covered with small tan pustules (my word to describe them). It was in the Amethyst bin at the rock shop for $2.00 a pound.

BF

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Very unique interesting and out of this world looking! Looks like lichen.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Looks like lichen.
"Looks like" — yeah, I know, it's hard to get a good photo that is closeup but still shows integration with the whole (if ya know what I mean :D)
While lichen on a rock can be scraped off, these things are infused down into the Amethyst, and are constrained by the crystal structure of the mineral. The second closeup shows this best - if you click on the photo it opens the high resolution image and you can see the infusion of the 'stuff'

BF

newmisty

Duppy Conqueror
Midas Member
Site Supporter
nu uh, your rocks are moldy! :p

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Wow! What a cool thread! Thanks BF!

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
I found this at the end of the drive.

I think it's some kind of quartz?

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So what rock collection would be complete without some Silver, Gold and Jewels?
Big ole chunk of Silver, lead & Galena:
View media item 446This chunk weighs about twenty pounds
View media item 450
some native copper:
And a sample of gold ore — from a hard rock mine
Another ore sample, from The Black Hills, South Dakota
Enough of this ore stuff, lets look at the pure product
And a Ruby — not the kind you find in a high end jewelry store but a Ruby, no less.
View media item 432Side illuminated with a small flashlite
View media item 518
A piece of Turquoise
And to finish this chapter, some garnets
BF

Last edited:

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My pics and scans from my ex-printer will pale in comparison to Bottom Feeder's beautiful images, but what the heck, I'll share some of my rock houndings.

Cu Scan.jpg

Copper ore from the Keweenaw area of Michigan’s UP. The 2 small copper ore flakes in the upper left are fissure veins that are found in basalt and conglomerate rock. Wheat cent in lower left for scale and color comparison.

Second from the left is a copper nugget in semi-raw form. These could either:
1) Be the product of glaciers shearing copper off of rock and eroding them into rounded shapes or;
2) Be the product of raw ore from the stamping process where vein "sheets" were stamped into rounded nuggets for ease of loading onto ships for transportation to mills elsewhere, or already rounded nuggets that were broken free from the rock ore.

Third from the left is a copper nugget in tumbled/polished form.

Small nugget in the upper right is a copper/silver "half breed" and is approximately 50-60% silver by mass. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do it justice...it's a gorgeous little piece. Any half breed nuggets were supposedly swiped off the line during the final inspection process, gaining a mine worker an under-the-table bonus for that valuable and rare-er silbur. GIM round in lower right for scale and color comparison.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Again, my apology for the pic/scan quality or lack thereof. From Utah:

Utah Rocks scan.jpg

The 3 pieces at the top are Navajo Sandstone. This sedimentary rock can be every color from white to black depending on the minerals dissolved in it and its exposure to time and the erosion elements of Mother Nature. These particular pieces were all found in the same eroded gully right next to and on top of each other.

The piece in the bottom left is copper ore that I bought at a rock shop for $1.00.

The 4 maroon-colored pieces in the bottom right are quartzite. These began their geologic life as quartz-heavy sandstone, then became metamorphic rocks as a result of extreme pressure and/or heat millions of years ago. Note the parallel striations in the biggest piece, they were formed by glacial action during the last ice age ~12,000 years ago by moving ice and all the debris it drug along with it.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
By the way — for all you lurkers out there that can't see my rocks; sign up for GIM (The Premier Gold and Silver Forum) and you can lookit 'em all you want.

BF

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Nice rocks guys! I have done a fair amount of rock collecting myself. Mainly finding agates, fossils, the occasional petrified wood and a few Indian artifacts. I might have to take some new pictures. Before that I'll see if I can find some pics I already have. I also have purchased a few rocks and things including some nice fossils and meteorites.

One of the very first rocks I ever bought was in early 70s, a big hunk of Amethyst, weighs about five pounds. It is unique because it is covered with small tan pustules (my word to describe them). It was in the Amethyst bin at the rock shop for $2.00 a pound.
Those tan features are really interesting. They remind me of the features in eye agates. I really like your various Fluorite specimens.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Eric, those pustules look like miniature meteor strikes on the surface of the Amethyst, they are small cavities in the crystals. It's hard to photograph them so you can tell.

BF

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Rocks and agates from a day walking some local farm fields
Rocks-2016-04-09-Img_0727SSS.jpg

Agate-2016-04-09-Candy-Img_0728SSS.jpg

Another one from the same fields. It took me by surprise as I found it within about 2 minutes of being there.
Agate-OrangeGray-Img_9839SSS.jpg

Some from gravel pits in Northern Minnesota
Agate-2016-07-10-trip-Img_2773SSS.jpg

Agate-2016-07-10-trip-Img_2774SSS.jpg

Agate-Pit1BigRedWhiteQ-Img_1729SSS.jpg

This is one I found on the North short of Lake Superior. I cut and polished it. Before doing that only a hint of banding was visible and did not know what to expect.
Agate-PinkWhiteInBrownOut-Img_1698SSS.jpg

This is my prize agate find from a local gravel pit. It weighs about .75 pounds. One day I will get some pics of it from better angles.
Agate-RedWite.75-2013-IMG_2680SSS.jpg

Okay, that's a start. :)

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Eric, those pustules look like miniature meteor strikes on the surface of the Amethyst, they are small cavities in the crystals. It's hard to photograph them so you can tell.

BF
Is it like there was some mineral that the amethyst formed around that is softer than the quartz (amethyst) that weathered out of the pits over the years, yet some of it remains with that color? Whatever the case, that's a really neat piece. It can be surprising what you can find at a rock shop for a few dollars sometimes.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My gal is headed to Tucson to the show she really likes emeralds.......i like natural crysteline gold like your previous .........like joe dirt beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Awesome tourmaline. One of these days I'll get some new pics of my South Dakota tourmaline finds.

Meanwhile, here are a couple random fossil finds.

Brachiopod fossil from my yard, complete (both halves of shell). Amazing what will last 400+ million years sometimes.
Fossil-Brachiopod-Img_1777SSSS.jpg

Coral from the yard. I have many little pieces like this.
Fossil-Coral-Img_1779SSSS.jpg

Another brachiopod fossil from the yard
Fossil-YardShellBunch2015-Img_6227CSSSS.jpg

A fun local field find, in situ. Likely some kind of gastropod.
FossilShell-Field-2015-06-19-Img_0940SS.jpg

Petrified wood
PetrifiedWood-2015-06-26-Img_6829SSSS.jpg

PetrifiedWood-2015-07-03-Img_6886SSSS.jpg

PetrifiedWood-2016-10-08-Img_2156SSSS.jpg

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
I collected rocks and minerals as a kid, still have that itch among several others, but when did specimen prices go astronomical? Seems anything online is just WAYYY too much for my blood nowadays.

I like looking for things too, there’s just something about finding a crystal or unusual stone in it’s natural setting. Found small topaz crystals at Topaz Mountain in Utah and dug quartz at Crystal Park in Montana. More fun if you have someone else to do it along with you.

Now I mostly collect pictures of nice minerals!

Thanks for the great specimen pics!

R.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Some nice fossils Eric. And you found them, not like me who paid some else to find 'em for me. :D

BF