• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

ROCKS!

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Well, the one on the left looks like volcanic tuff and the one on the right might be flint. Just lookin at the way those chips broke out.
Scratch the flint with a piece of glass. Does it scratch?

BF
Dunno bout that bf, they aren't with me. It was very shiny and smooth and.....i just did a search and it indeed looks like the winning answer! Thank you sir. I didn't know flint was mineralized quartz. Learn something everyday.

Off topic, I don't know what it is but I've been anthropomorphizing almost everything that I see lately. Just now I saw one one of them there famous mummies in the rock. Heh.
20211123_233446_HDR.jpg20211123_233459_HDR.jpg20211123_233517_HDR.jpg20211123_233642_HDR.jpg20211123_233446_HDR~2.jpg20211123_233446_HDR~3.jpg

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Well, the one on the left looks like volcanic tuff and the one on the right might be flint. Just lookin at the way those chips broke out.
Scratch the flint with a piece of glass. Does it scratch?

BF
Ok so volcanic tuff is what Ive been calling moon rocks.

There's some giant beautiful specimens in the creek behind the metal shop I worked at. I tried to bribe the owner of the wrecker service on the land that also owns the building (the metal shop). It sits just a few feet from the creek. He balked claiming the neighbors ownership or some such.

Also learned about this just now in addition to felsic rock/lava:

xheader.gif

Pyroclastic Textures​

A pyroclastic texture shows a mixture of rock fragments, pumice, and volcanic ash. The ash is very fine grained, so only the rock fragments and pumice are identifiable. A rock with a pyroclastic texture is termed a tuff if the largest fragments are less than 2.5 inches long, a volcanic breccia if the fragments are larger.
Because tuffs and breccias require lots of ash to form, most tuffs and breccias are intermediate or felsic in composition. The samples shown below are all rhyolite (felsic) tuffs.
The pyroclastic texture of most tuffs is not this obvious. This sample shows excellent color contrast between the various clasts (red, orange, brown, etc.) and the compacted ash (white).
This close-up of the sample above shows the angular nature of the clasts (the volcano did explode, after all) and the very fine-grained nature of the ash matrix (white).
Here is a tuff where the ash has a pinker color, but again the color contrast with the clasts is unusually good. The large brown clast to the lower left is a piece of vesicular basalt from an older section of the volcano. Pyroclastic rocks reveal clues about the long-term volcanic history of an area.
This close up of the above sample emphasizes the angular clasts and the fine-grained ash matrix.
This is a welded tuff. The ash, pumice, and clasts were so hot that they remelted to form a glassy rock after landing on the ground. Most of the thin clasts are pumice blocks that collapsed and flattened as they were reheated.
This outcrop is along the Resting Springs Pass, near Death Valley, CA.

Go back to Igneous Rocks page

Return Home

Camp Bassfish

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
Apache Tears that I collected from an abandoned mine in Superior Arizona. Legend says that 75 Apache warriors engaged in battle with the US Calvary on the top of this mountain in Superior. Faced with certain defeat, they chose to ride their horses off the edge of the cliff.

When the wives and family of the warriors heard of their demise, they shed tears. These tears turned to stone when they touched the ground.
Apache Tears.jpgApache Tears 2.jpg

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Good work, misty. Ya made me go look it up —

anthropomorphize

attribute human characteristics or behavior to (a god, animal, or object).
I figure it out when CLIMATE Debate was going on and the the term "Anthropomorphic Climate Change" THE TERM the greenies used to blame climate change on mankind.
:reading: