• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Ruger SR1911 10MM

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Can't beat a SIG for quality and reliability!
Uh, Better rethink that. Get back to me when SIG turns 500 yrs old, and held the US Military Contract for 30+ years.
MBO - My Bigoted Opinion.
:hunt: :fire:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Uh, Better rethink that. Get back to me when SIG turns 500 yrs old, and held the US Military Contract for 30+ years.
MBO - My Bigoted Opinion.
:hunt: :fire:
Remington used to manufacture quality firearms too. Past performance rarely guarantees future results and what used to be may no longer be

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Remington used to manufacture quality firearms too. Past performance rarely guarantees future results and what used to be may no longer be
NOPE ! Not in this case.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
NOPE ! Not in this case.
I have five Sig pistols. No, make that six now and they all are great little guns. Doesn’t mean all Sig pistols and carbines are great guns, but they’ve made me a happy shooter, so far. And I’m sure you realize we’ll all be a long time dead by the time Sig turns 500. They have a reputation for quality and innovation, though. A lot of people who know guns, like Sig. I probably should add that I have owned only one Beretta, which is long ago traded away. There was nothing wrong with it, really, except that it was bigger than it needed to be.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have five Sig pistols. No, make that six now and they all are great little guns. Doesn’t mean all Sig pistols and carbines are great guns, but they’ve made me a happy shooter, so far. And I’m sure you realize we’ll all be a long time dead by the time Sig turns 500. They have a reputation for quality and innovation, though. A lot of people who know guns, like Sig. I probably should add that I have owned only one Beretta, which is long ago traded away. There was nothing wrong with it, really, except that it was bigger than it needed to be.
The Berettas I have are built like tanks and just about as heavy to carry! It's a man's gun!

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Just remember, I'm prejudice / bigot-ted toward Berettas in pistols coming from a S&W Model 39 in the '70s.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The Rock Island pistol I posted about earlier has a $50 rebate...

Just bought one of these guys. I’ve been wanting one for a long while, but they’re expensive and are not necessarily rare, but sometimes tough to come by. I was in a big local gun seller’s store yesterday, helping a friend make a decision on whether he wanted a Taurus Judge or a S&W Governor. I helped him choose the Governor. It’s more expensive, but Smith builds a better gun, with better handling and shooting characteristics.

While I was in there, I noticed that hey! they had a Ruger 10MM in the case. I went back this morning and snagged it. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. These aren’t my photos, but this is the gun. Nice, huh?

The safety is very nice and crisp. The trigger is sweet! I would say four pounds. Beautiful Barstow style sights. Rubber grips. I would rather have G10, but they’re rubbery and grippy. Skeletonized hammer and trigger, with an overstop adjustment. A bit of a pain to disassemble and reassemble. Good looking pistol!
View attachment 140785 View attachment 140786
Ruger's always been a solid manufacturer. I watched Hickok's review and it turned out to be a very well made reliable 1911. Nice purchase and good job steering your friend to the Smith!

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Ruger's always been a solid manufacturer. I watched Hickok's review and it turned out to be a very well made reliable 1911. Nice purchase and good job steering your friend to the Smith!
Thanks! I watched Hickok’s review and several others, before buying the Ruger. His opinion matters, as does Quinn on Gunblast and Tim on Military Arms Channel, a couple more. They all really liked the Ruger 10MM and so do I. I liked it so much I got really jazzed about the gun and bought another. It runs as good as the first. I don’t really like too many guns, so when I find one that “trips my trigger,” I keep buying. I have three Browning Hi Powers and four Sig P938’s, all different configurations. I see them as kind of investments.
As for the Smith Governor, I thought he would be much better served with that gun than the Taurus, who I have personally found to be inferior quality. Just my experience.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
So, it’s 10AM and I just got done putting about 150 rounds down Range, at 25 yards. Fifty each for the little Smith, the big Smith and the Ruger. I am rusty, plus my shoulders have been hurting like mad for awhile, so I’m not going to post target photos. I had those FBI reduced man type targets and every round went on the paper, but that’s all I can say for my performance. I was shooting high and I was shooting low, but I wasn’t dead on at all. It’s shameful, but not absolutely horrible, I guess. Honest accuracy analysis, there.

As far as the guns are concerned, the little Smith was fun to shoot, as I expected it to be, both single and double action. The only problem I had with it was, after I had put about half a dozen cylinders through it (8 rounds per cylinder), it started binding up, like the production tolerances were too tight. Something was off. Maybe the shell casings started backing out of the cylinder a bit and locked it up. I’m not sure. Yeah, now that I think more about it, it wasn’t tolerances, it was locking up. The cylinder wasn’t grinding, it was just stopping.

The big Smith 686 was joy. That is all I can say. I loved it! It was very satisfying to shoot and the single and double action was very nice. Perfect function! I’m sorry my friend didn’t like it, but I’m glad he gave it up to me.

The Ruger. Wow! I’ve never had a Ten before. Did I say wow? Holy cow, does that thing get your attention. Bam!! Actually, it reminded me a lot of 45 auto. I’ve had three 45’s over the years and it felt like 45, only snappier. Sharper and more sincere, I guess. I was shooting Sig FMJ 10MM ammo, 180 grain. Standard stuff. I don’t even know how that Buffalo Bore heavy bullet/hot load stuff would feel. I’m gonna try it!

I like all three guns. I’m glad I got them and I will enjoy owning and shooting them, going forward. I just need to figure out the problem with the little Smith M63 binding up on me. There has to be a logical reason and a reasonable fix for it. It’s a nice little gun. Very fun to shoot. That’s all for now.
I just wanted to post an update, for anybody who’s interested, about that little S&W M63, 22LR revolver. That thing was binding up on me, the first two times I shot it. I put roughly fifty plus rounds through it, both times and it would stop functioning after about five or six cylinder loads through it, just locking up.

I think I figured the problem out. It was ammo. The first two times I shot it, I was using Remington Golden bullets and those things were peeling lead, somehow, into the works. Was it peeling in the cylinder? In the gap between the cylinder and forcing cone? I’m not certain and I couldn’t figure it out. But, I kind of had an inkling that the problem might be ammo; at least that’s what I was hoping.

I was out yesterday and put some more rounds through the 686, then started on the M63, using CCI Minimags, instead of the Rem bullets. I put almost 100 (12 cylinders times 8) rounds through it and there were zero problems. It was that crappy Remington ammo. I’ll never buy that garbage again. Very happy! I like that little gun.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I went to the gun store and bought a Sig P229 Legion SAO pistol, after I was shooting. I can’t wait to take it to the range. Anyway, I wanted the Legion, because they offer it in single action only format. It looks cool as hell, too.

I’ll be going into the poor house, real soon, but I will be well armed.

74D2B01C-9175-4196-965A-87460084EFA7.jpeg
795C767D-E769-48DE-A3EB-98537B1D9401.jpeg

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I just wanted to post an update, for anybody who’s interested, about that little S&W M63, 22LR revolver. That thing was binding up on me, the first two times I shot it. I put roughly fifty plus rounds through it, both times and it would stop functioning after about five or six cylinder loads through it, just locking up.

I think I figured the problem out. It was ammo. The first two times I shot it, I was using Remington Golden bullets and those things were peeling lead, somehow, into the works. Was it peeling in the cylinder? In the gap between the cylinder and forcing cone? I’m not certain and I couldn’t figure it out. But, I kind of had an inkling that the problem might be ammo; at least that’s what I was hoping.

I was out yesterday and put some more rounds through the 686, then started on the M63, using CCI Minimags, instead of the Rem bullets. I put almost 100 (12 cylinders times 8 rounds) rounds through it and there were zero problems. It was that crappy Remington ammo. I’ll never buy that garbage again. Very happy! I like that little gun.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I went to the gun store and bought a Sig P229 Legion SAO pistol, after I was shooting. I can’t wait to take it shooting. I’ll look for some photos. I wanted the Legion, because they offer it in single action only format. Looks cool as hell.

I’ll be going into the poor house, real soon, but I will be well armed.

View attachment 144030 View attachment 144031
When they come to drag you out of your house you'll be well prepared and practiced. Jus' Sayin'

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
When they come to drag you out of your house you'll be well prepared and practiced. Jus' Sayin'
I’ll be practing, buddy, but I plan on going out shooting. There will be no fema camp for SOG. I’ve already informed Mrs. SOG.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter