• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Saga of the AR-15 Forward Assist: A Solution Searching For A Problem

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If you weren't familiar with the YouTube channel forgotten weapons, he has some really rare and educational videos.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
A Solution Searching For A Problem

After 8 years in the Army, 3 of which I spent running the ranges as Company Training NCO, and after owning and firing multiple ARs, I have NEVER, not even once, seen any malfunction, FTF, or other issue with an M-16 or AR-15 which was alleviated, mitigated or solved by punching the forward assist.

However, I can dogmatically confirm, as mentioned in the vid, that repeated Forward Assist pounding can and will result in Failure to Eject.

The Airforce was correct in this case, and their chow is also significantly better than Army swill, and their work-hours were better, and their billets were better, and when I tried to re-enlist in the AF, they totally denied me. Why? The recruiter told me I knew too much about the military.

AF Midnight Chow was just WOW!

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I didn’t think our food was very good but compared to army swill, it was awesome. I trained as an equipment operator at ft leonardwood. I remember thinking the food would be better outside of basic training. Upon my arrival in Missouri I went to the chow line and got a hotdog. After biting into it my gag reflex pegged 10! I looked at what I bit into and it was green. Have never used forward assist and one of my sporting rifles, a S&W M&P doesn’t have one.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Guys the Forward Assist was never meant to be used constantly. The issue and resolution came due to incidents men in the middle of a fire fight could encounter, an apparent jam / FTF. Smack the assist, fire again, or eject for the next round and get back in the fight.
A fire fight is no time for a field strip.