• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Sales Tax Bite

I live in Arkansas, which has implemented an internet sales tax effective July 1, 2019. This does include purchases of coins and bullion, and this really bites since my local sales tax rate is 9.5%. What other US States and countries tax sales of coins and bullion? Is it enforced where you live? Large vendors such as E-bay and Amazon automatically calculate and collect the tax. And this was passed by a Republican legislature and signed by a RINO governor as well. They told us this is not a tax increase because the law previously was that people were to self-report all out-of-state purchases and remit payment when we file state income taxes. Time to call my state congress critter which I helped to get elected. . .

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
At one time a company had to have nexus in a state to force sales tax collections. Here in Illinois Amazon, via State taxpayer funded financial giveaways, got a warehouse given to them. That created nexus and hence the applicability of sales taxes. Now did the state politicians lower taxes in view of the new landslide of taxes coming to the treasury due to the newly enforced sales tax? @&^#^) no they didn't.
I seem to remember a time when Bezos, when questioned about sales taxes, threatened to move all of Amazon's servers to a tax haven country to defeat any attempt t o tax Amazon's sales. So now he has joined the politicians team who will provide him with crony capitalism benefits while the sales taxes provide more money for pensions and vote buying programs for the them that be.
Another win win situation for the political classes and a lose lose situation for American taxpayers.

YOu can still shop around and not get taxed when buying from small merchants. Thats what I have done but recognize those days will slowly be ending.

(Note: I have ignored the Supreme Court Case that overturned Quill v. North Dakota ruling that stated that internet-based businesses were exempt from state sales taxes unless they had a physical presence in those states because, as shown in Illinois, the politicians were willing and able to give Amazon a free warehouse that Bezos gratefully accepted to get nexus within the State)

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Unfortunately, once the door was opened up just a teeny bit, tells me we're just one brain synapses away from full country wide on-line sales tax collection

Above and Beyond having to pay Sales Tax on my on-line purchases, what galls me is the new department that had to be created by these on-line business' to track, collect and pay to all the States, that demand it, Sales Tax. Those costs won't be absorbed by the business'

Hidden costs on a public scourge is the monster that no one talks about

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
That's Amazon!
Thats eBay!
That's what's happening on-line!

come on man, get with it, it's all over Twitter and FB and Google and

Taxes, they're what's 'In' these days

LOL

oh wait, that's the coffee in me kicking in - 'bout time, it's getting close to beer-thirty somewhere and i haven't done much all day, so far...

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Time to call my state congress critter which I helped to get elected. . .
Too late for that. It may have helped BEFORE the bill got out of the state legislature.
I agree with Bottom Feeder if it comes to BUYS and SELLS
OR
MOVE to a more friendly state. New Yorkers have no problem going to Florida. Commiefornians movin' to Nevada, Colorado, Texas.

I wish I could get my employer to pay me in silver dollars or gold eagles so that I could report my income on my income taxes as $3000 and not pay income tax. Maybe next used car I buy I will pay in gold eagles and thereby get a sales tax break on that. Then turn around and buy the eagles back from the seller.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Simply figure out what you are willing to pay including tax and work your local fleamarkets and pawn shops.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I live in Arkansas, which has implemented an internet sales tax effective July 1, 2019. This does include purchases of coins and bullion, and this really bites since my local sales tax rate is 9.5%. What other US States and countries tax sales of coins and bullion? Is it enforced where you live? Large vendors such as E-bay and Amazon automatically calculate and collect the tax. And this was passed by a Republican legislature and signed by a RINO governor as well. They told us this is not a tax increase because the law previously was that people were to self-report all out-of-state purchases and remit payment when we file state income taxes. Time to call my state congress critter which I helped to get elected. . .
I live in Ar too. Thanks for bringing this to my attn. First few times I bought something at a store here I questioned the cashiers....farking high sales tax!
We don't do sales tax in my state
I think we make up for it with cheap property tax.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I live in Ar too. Thanks for bringing this to my attn. First few times I bought something at a store here I questioned the cashiers....farking high sales tax!

I think we make up for it with cheap property tax.
Paid the same in MA as I do in NH....no sales tax and constitutional carry. I'll take it

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If you guys still have money to purchase anything obvious the state is doing something wrong. I'm surprised they just haven't taken everything already and give you an allowance on a weekly basis to purchase food.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Gotta pay for asphalt and salt somehow. That being said they're ass raping us for 'education' on our RE bill. We have our share of Masshole imports climbing into positions of power up here and growing. We need to get this revolt going so me and the neighbors can start hunting down and cleaning up the trash!

Last edited:

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Sales tax on bullion sales- or any sales for that matter- essentially whacks the values of the items being sold/taxed by reducing the demand proportionally. We don't have sales tax on bullion in this state but if we did it would be easy enough to devise a workaround. They already get too much.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
No sales tax of any kind here in Montana except some counties can tax motel rents. Buy your bullion here...and anything else. Arkansas has a passel of freeloaders to feed. Let them starve.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Sales tax! What's that???
No sales tax of any kind here in Montana
No state income tax either? Sales tax in Washington (at about 10%) but no income tax. Pols gotta get their loot somewheres.
I may pay tax on most purchases (food is exempt among a few other things) but they leave my retirement income alone — I'm not taxed twice on the same monies.

BF

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Montana has a state income tax but who has income in Montana?

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Is shipping computed in the sales tax? You could always have the seller charge you a nominal fee for the goods and the rest for the shipping if shipping is not included in the taxable amount.

That was one way to get around it years ago but then again knowing the greedy politicians, they closed that loophole.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Buy from private parties, stay away from egay, etc...Pay cash, no tax, no trail.
Put a wanted post here, every deal I've done here has been flawless.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Nebraska has no sales tax on bullion. The notable part of that is that it changed a few years ago. It was actually taken OFF of the tax criteria.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I did come across one online shop that does not charge sales tax. Shop around.

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Im in Arkansas also. Noticed the internet tax for the first time a few weeks back. I did not complete the order as im not paying state tax on something being sold to me from 500 miles away.

Nope

Provident metals does not currently charge the tax on AR. Just so you know. Who knows for how long?

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
My issue with sales tax on out-of-state purchases, is that the state does not deserve to collect a tax on such sales.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I know this is three years old and taxes increase somewhere in the realm of the speed of light, but its best I could find right off.

State Sales Tax.JPG