• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Sawmill recommendations.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I can't afford a large one but looking at a couple entry level mills. EZ boardwalk and woodmaxx. Looked at the woodmizer as well, seems a bit underpowered compared to the other 2.
I haven't decided for sure to get one yet but now that this logging is done it seems like it would make sense to turn some of these larger tops with 12-16" diameter into lumber. Also loads of smaller shorts around that are larger diameter. In total the logger, when finished with my neighbor, will have logged 90 acres right here so I am sure to get several thousand board feet of lumber out of it.

Last edited:

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I believe Lt.Dan has a sawmill, I'm sure he'll be posting an answer for you soon.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
On Craigslist I see a lot of locals are selling great big slabs of live edge Pine and other woods as mantle pieces and bar tops for top dollar. Seems to me a guy could get the cheapest and crudest of sawmills to do that. I talked to chainsaw repair guy that was doing that with a homemade Alaskan and was getting a buck a board foot for it, which is what I've been paying for rough sawn boards of pine and fir. He was getting the wood with a USFS firewood permit which means it was 6' or less. They seem to be doing this most with the bottoms (lots of taper, sap and weird grain).
Probably wouldn't be the way to go with the best woods, but for gnarly "character" wood it might be the ticket.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've had several ideas for what I can do with the wood around here. I might even set up a shop again and create my own work. I love woodworking but sold everything awhile back. Of course I would need to build a solar kiln and a woodshed but hey what else do I have to do other than clean up 90 acres LOL.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My saw is a Hud-Son Link to their website - https://www.hud-son.com/

It does a fairly good job, mine is a smaller model but is also not made anymore as they upgraded it - like this

Nice thing about this was I took my trailer up to a dealer in Columbus and hauled it home. Setting it up was kind of slow, (for me), but does a satisfiying job on the logs I have. Only a couple times did I have a log too big for it, it is supposed to be able to saw a log up to 21" but it better be perfectly straight or it just won't work. I do have the option of using a chainsaw mill to cut a log down, but it's have to be a very special type of wood for me to bother as those chainsaw mills are not easy on an old man.

The saw I would really have liked to get was a Wood-Mizer, but the Hudson dealer was right within a reasonable distance of my home and the price was more in line with what I was willing to spend at the time. If I was younger, yes, I might have seen the need and spent more on the mill, but it works well enough for my use and needs. Link to Wood-Mizer - http://woodmizer.com/eng/

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
TY Dan.. I have looked at the wood mixer but IMO is underpowered compared to a couple others. The others also have a little larger capacity.. I understand the woodmizer is very well built though.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The thing that sold me on the Hud-Son was there was a dealer right in Columbus...

Brownwood Sales 2189 Refugee Rd Columbus OH 43207

Phone: 614-443-1821 Email: sales@brownwoodsales.com

They were helpful and nice people, a family run operation, to deal with.

I spent quite a long time researching different bandsaw mills before "settling" on the Hud-Son

That said, I would have liked the Wood-Mizer, I'm sure, but settled on what was easier to convince myself and of course, the wife, to spend that amount of money on. It was actually a birthday gift to myself. LOL!