• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Shoes Inside The Home

abeland1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Keeping shoes off inside a home can improve foot health and in general improve hygiene around the home. Taking shoes off inside the home doesn’t make you some sort of pedantic oddball, it’s more common to take them off than keep them on, the majority of people may find you weird for not removing them. 87% of Americans remove their shoes when entering a home, yet close to 50% won’t ask visitors to remove shoes leading to the misconception that people think they’re the only ones to go barefoot indoors or remove their shoes at the door. Research shows that shoes are disgustingly dirty, a new pair of shoes can attract over 440,000 units of bacteria within just two weeks. Viruses thrive better on shoe bottoms then they do on toilet seats, let that sink in; most won’t touch a toilet seat for fear of picking up something yet it’s cleaner than shoe bottoms virus wise typically having 1,000 bacteria or less. Shoes are basically trojan horses heavy with viruses and bacteria being dragged all over the house. Is it really bad to wear dirty shoes in the house? On clean tiles there is a 90% transfer rate from bacteria to the clean surface, carpeting has even more, you and family come into contact with multiple times daily, keep in mind how often children put their hands in their mouths. That means everyone in your home can possibly become exposed to bacteria that’s been picked up by a shoe from anywhere it has been, including that public restroom. That awful feeling you get after you step in dog droppings as you sink in, and how quickly you want it off, it doesn’t all get removed. Studies show that there is always fecal matter on shoes, swabbing 26 shoes worn for three months, all but a single shoe were infected with coliform bacteria, which even alarmed the researchers as to how much fecal contamination was found. Studies show that shoes have over time have mutated human feet as compared to groups from the past. Technological progress has made our feet worse off. Of modern humans Zulu participants have the healthiest feet, who are least likely to wear full closed in shoes and most likely go barefoot. It’s not just the health threat, they are also noisy. Shoes are also horrible for flooring, especially wood or anything vaguely delicate. Shoes create scuffs, scratches, ding marks, and wear out carpeting faster. Why not switch to slippers, they are cleaner, quieter, and most times more comfy. Shoes are filthy, leave them at the door, and don’t track all that unwanted nastiness throughout the house, or at the very least switch to a pair of shoes that haven’t been worn outside of the home.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Do you really want the public restroom smegma of a hundred men on your bedroom or kitchen floor?

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Do you really want the public restroom smegma of a hundred men on your bedroom or kitchen floor?
But wait, you have to touch them when you take them off and again when you put them back on
then we're talking about embedded feces in the laces and canvas from the transfer across our hands, yuck

Why not avoid the puddles of smegma, why not avoid public restrooms in their entirety?

that's why god gave us outties, we can avoid lines and mess at our convenience, at our choice:piss

At home, I leave my shoes on but take my pants off
:autumn:

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I just touch the tops, and I don't go to those kind of places, newmisty...

Seriously, though, while it certainly is always better to be hygienic, the above borders on pure scare tactics. OMG, GRUNGE WILL KILL YA...

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
When I’m over the road truck driving, I remove my sneakers as soon as I’m in the truck and drive with my socks on. And I swap sneakers out for a new pair about every 2 or 3 weeks. A cheap pair of Walmart shoes is only about $20. And I clean my socks but I also periodically throw them away also, if the sock gets wet or more dirty than I think it should it’s going in the trash and the garbage is being emptied ASAP.

At home shoes go by the door and slippers are put on.

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Hahahaha.....we have chickens and they came with a free pair of barnyard boots which are not allowed in the house.

I lived in Toronto for a couple of years and met a lot of foreigners. It seemed like everyone in Canada would take their shoes off before going on inside.
But me thinks that is from necessity because of the snow.
Everyone had a Mud Room where one takes off shoes/boots before coming in.

Cigar man , come on out here with those bare feet. The goatheads won't bother you to much.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Hahahaha.....we have chickens and they came with a free pair of barnyard boots which are not allowed in the house.

I lived in Toronto for a couple of years and met a lot of foreigners. It seemed like everyone in Canada would take their shoes off before going on inside.
But me thinks that is from necessity because of the snow.
Everyone had a Mud Room where one takes off shoes/boots before coming in.

Cigar man , come on out here with those bare feet. The goatheads won't bother you to much.
I would brother but it's to cold there for me. :).

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I'm thinking the Japanese thing about no shoes in the house makes more sense.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
We take our shoes off at the door. Still, dirt gets tracked in, but not as much as with shoes on.

Wife even cleans the dogs paws after a walk (when we had one). Try it sometime with a white washcloth. You'll do it too from then on!

Our carpet is 12 years old and looks dang near new. We don't have any kids, so take that into account. But still... we get it professionally cleaned once a year.

I learned the 'shoes off' concept from showing homes. There was one that an oriental had. She had slippers in a box shelf for in the house. Cleanest home I ever saw.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm thinking the Japanese thing about no shoes in the house makes more sense.
They take pride in keeping a very relaxed, clean, harmonious living space that doesn't include tracking in pollutants.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
In Meissen, Germany -- If you visit the castle of Fredrich The Violent (musta been one bad ass to get that name!) you don't have to take your shoes off; they supply big felt "slippers" that go right over your shoes. Then you can walk on the beautiful 600-year old wooden floor. Kewl.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
In Meissen, Germany -- If you visit the castle of Fredrich The Violent (musta been one bad ass to get that name!) you don't have to take your shoes off; they supply big felt "slippers" that go right over your shoes. Then you can walk on the beautiful 600-year old wooden floor. Kewl.
Booties! They sell they for contractors too. SO you can walk into a home and not have to be without protective footwear and still keep things clean and undamaged.