• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Shotgun slug triggers a live 9mm round upon impact

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Shotgun slug triggers a live 9mm round upon impact

Jeff from TAOFLEDERMAUS received a set of shotgun shells from Germany designed to be hold anything from a 9mm to a 7.62x39mm.

These slugs are heavy as hell, more than 58 grams with a live 9mm inside.

They’re supposed to trigger the 9mm round’s primer upon impact, which is great in theory, but unlikely in reality.

So much could go wrong with these shells. A chain reaction inside the chamber could cause an early discharge, or the shell could tumble through the air sending the 9mm round in almost any direction. He has Danny fire it empty a few times to see how the projectile will fly.

Jeff doesn’t think they’re safe enough to actually be fired, but he’s found a way to fire them outside of a weapon to see what will happen.

Take a look at the result in the video below.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
There's a highway with moderate to heavy traffic downrange. The shotgun slugs won't go that far but it looks like the 9mm bullets inside could, especially after a boost from a wax slug (at 9:00 in the vid). Seems like there would be much better places to set up a firing range.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
"Designed to be hold" ...mmmkay

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Old idea. You can take a .22 LR round, remove the bullet, drill a hole in a shotgun slug, press the .22 round in the hole, rim forward. Never tried it but I guess you could add a little powder to the .22 after you remove the bullet.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sort of unrelated but in the same vein an idea in Poor Man's James Bond: Glue a cork with a hole and nail in it to the primer end of a 12 gauge shotgun shell. On the other end fashion some rocket type fins to keep the primer end down when it's thrown off the upper floors. I think Kurt Saxon calls them riot busters or something like that.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Did you watch the video?

Every single slug tumbled and keyholed; at what? 25 feet?

That is why they did not fire the slug with the 9mm ammo inserted.

FAIL!

Last edited:

keef

Пальто Crude
Midas Member
You used to be able to buy riot control rounds online. rubber buckshot works great. you dont always have to blow their heads off. the rubber buckshot was such a light load i could shoot it one hand with a 12ga arnold style to impress the neighbors who didnt know what a light load is

keef

Пальто Crude
Midas Member

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
winchester-ranger-12ga-1oz-slug-2.jpg

1 oz slugs do the job JUST FINE - OOS everywhere I've looked - probably a good thing cause I like this idea of home protection

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
View attachment 173026

1 oz slugs do the job JUST FINE - OOS everywhere I've looked - probably a good thing cause I like this idea of home protection
I shot a block of wood about the same size as the one (that just fell over) in the video with a 1 ounce 2 3/4 shell slug and it exploded.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Did you watch video?

Every single slug tumbled and keyholed; at what? 25 feet?

That is why they did not fire the slug with the 9mm ammo inserted.

FAIL!
Not sure who you're asking. But if it's me, then yes, I watched the video- boring as it was. At 9:00 they fired a wax slug into the primer end of a group of 4 of the 'slugs' with live 9mm bullets inserted. That is what I was referencing when I noted that they might be a little close to the highway.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Not sure who you're asking. But if it's me, then yes, I watched the video- boring as it was. At 9:00 they fired a wax slug into the primer end of a group of 4 of the 'slugs' with live 9mm bullets inserted. That is what I was referencing when I noted that they might be a little close to the highway.
Exactly!

Those slugs, with the 9mm round inserted, are hazardous to EVERYONE within range of a 9mm round in a 360 radius.