• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Should silver be cleaned before selling?

Gstack

Seeker
Seeker
When I buy silver from Provident, it's always clean and shiny and new. I imagine that's the way they like to sell it. So what about silver that they buy back from customers? When customers sell to Provident (or any other bullion company), do they pretty much send it to the company "as is", or do they clean it up first? I'm talking about things like bullion rounds and bars rather than numismatics. I've got a bunch of items I've had for almost 20 years that I've bought from local dealers. Some of it looks new, and others are darkened and tarnished. I had to buy it that way because it was all that was available on the shelf at the time. But would a place like Provident want it that way? Jewelry cleaners are readily available and can shine them up. Maybe the bullion companies would rather do that themselves. I don't know. So I ask.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
They don't pay more for clean silver or gold and most likely it will be remelted for some other bar, don't bother.

Gstack

Seeker
Seeker
They don't pay more for clean silver or gold and most likely it will be remelted for some other bar, don't bother.
Really? Why would they melt it and make another bar out of it? Wouldn't it be simpler and more cost effective to just resell it as "random" design bars and rounds?

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
They might keep as generic silver, but they are not cleaning it either most likely. If they don't pay a premium for "clean silver", don't bother.

Gstack

Seeker
Seeker
They might keep as generic silver, but they are not cleaning it either most likely. If they don't pay a premium for "clean silver", don't bother.
Would they pay less for it if it were dirty and undesirable? I've never sold silver online before, so I have no idea.

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
If you purchased old bars 20 years ago, you may have "collectable" bars.
If you do, keep 'em right dirty.
There is a toned silver cult out there, like jewelry collectors.
There are listings of collectable bars here me thinks, or access thereto.
Sell on Ebad, for digital lawn sale, and receive above spot or LCS purchase price.
If you wish to clean, E-Z-Est Silver cleaner is the easiest; dip and rinse.
Hope you fair well.

Gstack

Seeker
Seeker

Sell on Ebad, for digital lawn sale, and receive above spot or LCS purchase price.
If you wish to clean, E-Z-Est Silver cleaner is the easiest; dip and rinse.
Hope you fair well.
You're right about that! When I was buying them back then, there were quite a few Johnson Matthey and Engelhard bars and rounds. I have a good number of them, among others. I've noticed the increased price Provident charges for them, but their buyback price is hardly any better.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I vote no on cleaning silver you're selling! I haven't seen a single good reason to do that posted here nor have I been able to think of one.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I didn't know that sliver could be cleaned!

Argent Dragon

Site Support
Site Bus
Site Supporter
Cleaning is for retail because SHINY sells for a Premium......... otherwise see above responses.

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
If you have a half dozen or more pieces that you want to clean, wash them with soap and rinse to remove oils, then dissolve a couple teaspoons of baking soda in hot water in a large glass bowl and place a large piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of the bowl of baking soda solution.. Spread your silver pieces on the foil and watch the tarnish disappear. This electrochemical method converts the oxidized silver back to silver. It has also been covered in older threads.

R.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Hope you fair well.
I eliminated what I disagreed with the rest is good info. IMO

Gstack

Seeker
Seeker
If you have a half dozen or more pieces that you want to clean, wash them with soap and rinse to remove oils, then dissolve a couple teaspoons of baking soda in hot water in a large glass bowl and place a large piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of the bowl of baking soda solution.. Spread your silver pieces on the foil and watch the tarnish disappear. This electrochemical method converts the oxidized silver back to silver. It has also been covered in older threads.

R.
I've actually done this before with mixed results. I've had some silver go from ugly to looking nice, and I've had some that had just a little tarnish on it end up with dark spots all over it, even after repeated attempts. I've learned not to do this unless the silver in question looks pretty bad to begin with. That way, there is little risk in making it any worse.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Don't worry about it until we're at least 10 bucks north of here.

Just my 2 cents.

Gstack

Seeker
Seeker
That's the kind of cleaning I was thinking about when I started the thread. I've heard of "homemade" methods and gave a couple of them a try, but stuff like what you showed works the best. I was in a coin shop where the owner was using something like this to clean up silver bullion. It made it look like brand new.

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I clean any silver i buy that looks like it needs it who knows where people’s hands have been. I use crushed oak leaves they contain essential oils that kill infectious bacterias.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I clean any silver i buy that looks like it needs it who knows where people’s hands have been. I use crushed oak leaves they contain essential oils that kill infectious bacterias.
How do you clean your crushed oak leaves prior to cleaning your silver, without stripping the essential goodness?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
How do you clean your crushed oak leaves prior to cleaning your silver, without stripping the essential goodness?
Gently shower them with essence of colloidal silver for 8.21 minutes.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I found a small box of jewelry wipes that work par exell'ant on tarnished silver bool-yin.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Couple of tarnished silver 100 oz bars purchased when bright and shiney in the mid 1970s
silver.jpeg

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Silver itself kills "infectious bacterias".
Get a shiny 90% silver dime, quarter, half dollar, Peace or Morgan SD. Do a Culture and Sensitivity swabbing and on to a Petry dish.
Very little bacteria will be found to grow in the dish. Jus' Sayin'

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Silver itself kills "infectious bacterias".
Get a shiny 90% silver dime, quarter, half dollar, Peace or Morgan SD. Do a Culture and Sensitivity swabbing and on to a Petry dish.
Very little bacteria will be found to grow in the dish. Jus' Sayin'
I was just kidding around GB.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I do not clean any of my '70's silver art bars before selling them. I am them "as is" and I sell them "as is". I find that some collectors like toning on their bars and some collectors like their '70's silver art bars nice and shiny. I let the buyers decide.