• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

So I got a Mule.....

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
This is replacing the 2 quads we've had for 20 years, I call it Roy. These are fairly hard to get in my neck of the woods, I had been watching for a green or camo one for a while and had to drive quite a ways to get this one. It showed up on one of the dealer websites I'd been watching and I called and bought it the next day.

The razr type death buggy hot rods and big 4 seat side by sides are all over the place but a basic Mule is pretty much sold before it hits the showroom floor. This one is a mid size Mule Pro MX with power steering.

Roy!

:2 thumbs up:

Roy-1.jpg
Roy-2.jpg

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Is it electric?

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
This is replacing the 2 quads we've had for 20 years, I call it Roy. These are fairly hard to get in my neck of the woods, I had been watching for a green or camo one for a while and had to drive quite a ways to get this one. It showed up on one of the dealer websites I'd been watching and I called and bought it the next day.

The razr type death buggy hot rods and big 4 seat side by sides are all over the place but a basic Mule is pretty much sold before it hits the showroom floor.

They are hard to get all over. All brands. I was looking for one this past spring, and the dealers all said that they were 4-6 months out. Got lucky that the local Deere dealer had one that they had used as a demo (running around county fair grounds, parades, etc). It only had 10 hours on it, and I got a good deal.

1634441637107.png

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The razr type death buggy hot rods and big 4 seat side by sides are all over the place but a basic Mule is pretty much sold before it hits the showroom floor. This one is a mid size Mule Pro MX with power steering.

Roy!

View attachment 228786View attachment 228787
Have you trained the dog to drive it yet?

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Sounds like dealers misread demand.

It often happens. They think the flashy, hot stuff will sell; and instead, the buyers with money just want a utility wagon.

Interestingly, the opposite of the street-legal pickup market, these days.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Sounds like dealers misread demand.

It often happens. They think the flashy, hot stuff will sell; and instead, the buyers with money just want a utility wagon.

Interestingly, one of the better-selling off-road utility vehicles was - until a court order to cease - the Mahindra Roxor brand.

Which is basically a CJ-7 as it was sold in India by Mahindra, which had licenses from Willys, Kaiser Jeep and AMC, even into the Chrysler years when Chrysler was an independent company.

The licensing was cancelled, and Mahindra didn't mind, as the CJ-7 was obsolete in the Indian market. They just introduced new utility vehicles.

But someone got the bright idea to bring their Indian tooling to America and sell the vehicle as an off-road utility vehicle. Put a diesel engine in it. The CJ-7 has been gone since 1985, and today's Wranglers look very little like them...and Mahindra had already gotten, from DaimlerChrysler, approval for a modified grille to bypass the trademarked Jeep slotted grille.

Not good enough for Fiat, though; and Fiat, which can't make good cars, sure knows how to bribe bad judges.

Our local motorsports store had ten of them and sold them, fast. They weren't cheap, either...but it looks like no more are coming.

But that should have told everyone: THAT is what people WANT. UTILITY.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Interestingly, one of the better-selling off-road utility vehicles was - until a court order to cease - the Mahindra Roxor brand.

Which is basically a CJ-7 as it was sold in India by Mahindra, which had licenses from Willys, Kaiser Jeep and AMC, even into the Chrysler years when Chrysler was an independent company.

The licensing was cancelled, and Mahindra didn't mind, as the CJ-7 was obsolete in the Indian market. They just introduced new utility vehicles.

But someone got the bright idea to bring their Indian tooling to America and sell the vehicle as an off-road utility vehicle. Put a diesel engine in it. The CJ-7 has been gone since 1985, and today's Wranglers look very little like them...and Mahindra had already gotten, from DaimlerChrysler, approval for a modified grille to bypass the trademarked Jeep slotted grille.

Not good enough for Fiat, though; and Fiat, which can't make good cars, sure knows how to bribe bad judges.

Our local motorsports store had ten of them and sold them, fast. They weren't cheap, either...but it looks like no more are coming.

But that should have told everyone: THAT is what people WANT. UTILITY.
Looks like mahindra's back and good for them, because the current bastardizations of the Jeep name are pure junk.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Looks like mahindra's back and good for them, because the current bastardizations of the Jeep name are pure junk.

A shame, though.

I'm an enthusiast of the ORIGINAL Jeeps. The military series; and CJs 2 through 8.

The Roxor was the CJ-7 as it should have been. The engine bay was the same short space the original CJ-5 had (the Roxor had a 91-inch wheelbase, instead of the 93 of the American version) and the instrument panel was just a metal panel - very Jeep-y. The diesel engine - off-road, so no DEF required - was another thing the CJ needed and never got, except for a few Perkins diesels in the 1960s.

It made my heart sing, to see new owners just run them up and down the local streets, with ORV plates on them...it's legal here. Perfect beer-run getter rig.

But, Fiat wasn't having it.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
They are hard to get all over. All brands. I was looking for one this past spring, and the dealers all said that they were 4-6 months out. Got lucky that the local Deere dealer had one that they had used as a demo (running around county fair grounds, parades, etc). It only had 10 hours on it, and I got a good deal.

View attachment 228792
I found out some dealers are dicks too. A few said they had what I wanted in stock on their websites, but when I called they didn't have one but immediately tried to steer me to another brand. Sorry charlie. Another has a non power steering Mule in stock but jacked up the price $600 over MSRP. F you buddy.

brosil

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Here I was hoping it was a flesh-and-blood mule. I could see your grizzled visage walking the shores of Lake Superior with your faithful mule carrying your prospecting gear. Another dream gone.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Here I was hoping it was a flesh-and-blood mule. I could see your grizzled visage walking the shores of Lake Superior with your faithful mule carrying your prospecting gear. Another dream gone.
If that were the case, he'd have to grow his hair long and not shave,

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
for a second there I thought you bought a four legged mule and you were gonna use it as a pack mule on your gold digging expeditions

my gf is shopping for an atv now and is leaning towards a John Deere......she does like the looks of the Mule though

will the Mule replace the Kawasaki’s?

here is some tunes when yer farting around the woods

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
my gf is shopping for an atv now and is leaning towards a John Deere......she does like the looks of the Mule though

Little Mule is the SX, medium size Mule like mine is a Pro MX, big Mules are Pro FX and 4000/4010

I never compared any of them side by side, but my Mule is a frickin' beast. I bought a 5.5x10 foot 2100 pound capacity trailer figuring I had room to spare and the damn thing barely fits on it. Just for reference my Pro MX is 9 feet long, just over 5 feet wide and weighs 1600 pounds.

EDIT: Kawasaki Mules come with a 3 year warranty, no other manufacturer comes even close to that as far as I know. Even Honda has only one year.

Last edited:

Atocha

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Roy!

View attachment 228786View attachment 228787
Too Cool...

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

I got the Deere for a couple reasons. There is a Deere dealer in the small town where we live; the Polaris and Kawasaki dealers are over a half hour away. I have had good service from the Deere dealer on my compact tractor as well.

The Deere Gator will cost a bit more - you pay a premium for the green paint - but a good dealer is worth paying a premium for IMO. But the Kawasaki Mules and the Polaris Rangers are good products. I would have no problem with any of them.

The Gator warranty is one year/1000 hours.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
And here I thought you were going Breaking Bad on us….

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Before opening this is what I visualized;

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Absolutely F'n' RIGHT! Drunk Twenty-something female plowed into the back of my '08 1500 4X4 Quad Cab. I had to go to my Auto Ins. has I haven't heard from her Ins. (Liberty Mutual). Two inspections claim $7400.00 in parts, $1k in paint, $2200.00 in various labor. Yet my Insurance claims the Total Loss of $9700.00.
#1. The so-called "INSPECTION" by my Ins. left off over half the Vehicle Equipment and accessories and Step-bars. The THREE Comps they used TWO are no longer available and the other Comp left is a basic model with none of my equipment and yet $200.00 over what the Ins. Co. has "allowed" for my loss.
I wrote Ins. Claim Service back this morning. I have done a Google Search and 7 main used car sites such as CARFAX, KBB, TRUECAR ( they recommend) There are 4 '08 1500s within 100 mi. of Fayette Co. Kentucky.
All are price from $2500. - $3,000 dollars higher than what they are claiming is my loss.
Most sites have a notice indicating that supply is limited in this 100 mile radius.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Before opening this is what I visualized;

Youth, Beauty, Sex, and Stupidity SELLS on TV .

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely F'n' RIGHT! Drunk Twenty-something female plowed into the back of my '08 1500 4X4 Quad Cab. I had to go to my Auto Ins. has I haven't heard from her Ins. (Liberty Mutual). Two inspections claim $7400.00 in parts, $1k in paint, $2200.00 in various labor. Yet my Insurance claims the Total Loss of $9700.00.
#1. The so-called "INSPECTION" by my Ins. left off over half the Vehicle Equipment and accessories and Step-bars. The THREE Comps they used TWO are no longer available and the other Comp left is a basic model with none of my equipment and yet $200.00 over what the Ins. Co. has "allowed" for my loss.
I wrote Ins. Claim Service back this morning. I have done a Google Search and 7 main used car sites such as CARFAX, KBB, TRUECAR ( they recommend) There are 4 '08 1500s within 100 mi. of Fayette Co. Kentucky.
All are price from $2500. - $3,000 dollars higher than what they are claiming is my loss.
Most sites have a notice indicating that supply is limited in this 100 mile radius.
Considering how hard it is to come by parts to repair, the insurance (scammers) are way behind on what values are, let alone replacement costs.

I hate lawyers, insurance agents, jewelers, and did I say politicians.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
You should look for a trailer to hitch to the mule. Most are light enough you can hand em into the back of your truck with ramps. I have seen some sweet setups for trapping coyotes on cow trails and in pastures where there are no roads. can carry alot of gear (weight).

I assume it has some sort of rear hitch?

then you can bring all your stuffs.

Come to think of it, might be better to just build one.

Last edited:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
You should look for a trailer to hitch to the mule. Most are light enough you can hand em into the back of your truck with ramps. I have seen some sweet setups for trapping coyotes on cow trails and in pastures where there are no roads. can carry alot of gear (weight).

I assume it has some sort of rear hitch?

then you can bring all your stuffs.

Come to think of it, might be better to just build one.

Yep, it has a full 2" receiver hitch with 1500 lb towing capacity. I will be taking this Mule prospecting for sure that was one of the excuses to buy one.
I can probably fit everything I need in the rear box though. It's good size, made of steel and has a 700 lb capacity.

I find places to prospect on my motorcycle that I could never get my truck back into. With 4 wheel drive and a rear locker this fecker will make it!

aarock.gif

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Im glad to see you have your head in the right place.

Carry on old son.

Pics or it didnt happen............

:popcorn:

We are counting on you to show us something cool. Half these guys around here cant even get a boner anymore.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Did some testing in the woods for a couple hours today and this thing is a really nice machine. First place we went is fire tower hill to do some climbing and steep downhill crawling to try out the 4 wheel drive and engine braking. Works fantastic we got to the top no problem. Going down the other side was pretty hairy though going over washed out rocks and roots but the engine braking kept the mule at a max of 4 mph.
I can't go over half throttle for the first 120 miles or I forget # of hours for the break in period. It does have to go to a Kawasaki dealer for the first service.

Yes there was a old forest service fire lookout tower up there back in the 1920's until I think sometime in the 50's. You can see one of the cement anchors by my rear tire in the first picture. There is one preserved old tower still standing over in Udell Hills. This is a great area to wreck a pickup truck and many folks have, the trees and rocks along the narrow trails are all scarred up! Last pictures are down out of the hills and just cruising the woods.

You can drive these things on the road in this county and the 4 counties surrounding it with a $35 ORV sticker, and you can drive them in all the state forest areas with a $10 trail sticker. They do not need to be street legal. If you live here you don't need to use your truck much. The bars, restaurants and stores have more ORV's at them than cars nowadays.

10-17RS-1.jpg
10-17RS-2.jpg
10-17RS-3.jpg
10-17RS-4.jpg

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Congrats irons!
Solid choice, had an rtv for years and loved it, but am not up on current market. New trailer, bike and mule.... christmas came early in MI.. you must live near Frankenmuth...

engineear

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You can get more ground clearance with 24" dubs, all black of course, put in12 speakers with 2 big subwoofers to keep the bears away while you listen to "wet ass pussy"...bruh! All you need is face tats and a gold "grille"...stylin in da woods.

Merkin

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Me too... Damn!

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Must agree, what a let down...

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
When I read the title, I thought he meant a four-legged mule, too.

And "Got a Mule"...brings to mind a funny story an old head here in Montana told me, when I arrived.

Seems that a city friend of one of the Washington clan - who own Montana Rail Link - came out here to try elk hunting.

The city-slicker put out the word - he got an elk doe - but he needed help moving the carcass.

The "elk" was on its side, feet towards the party...and one of them noticed metal shoes on the feet.

Slicker had shot a mule.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Reminds me of my first trip West.

It was 1989. I was crossing the plains, by car...plan was, I'd wander the Northern Rockies for a week, and then drive to Las Vegas and meet the spousal unit. I was an adult student, and, due to accident of happenstance, had half the summer off. My summer job took a dump.

SHE was working full time, and had two weeks' vacation. I wanted to roam the West. She wanted to see the Grand Canyon. A compromise was reached - I'd drive my car out west, meet her at Las Vegas - the flight from Cleveland-Hopkins to Vegas, back then, was about $70 each way.

We'd drive to the Grand Canyon, spend ten days there; go back to Vegas, maybe gamble a little bit. She'd fly home and I'd roll through the Colorado Rockies.

Anyway. I stumbled into Theodore Roosevelt National Park, which I had never heard of. Set up camp at a tent site, went into town for (alcoholic) supplies, found a comfortable pub, and set to work getting mellow. An old-timer asked me where I was from, what I was doing.

Photographing the mountain areas, I said. I'd love to get some wildlife and vista photos.

Waall, he says...if you want to see some buffalo, be at this point on the park road at sunrise. They'll be there for ya.

Sounds like a plan. Getting up early is no problem camping out in late summer, at altitude...the cold will have you up. So it came to pass - I was up, coffee'd, ready for the day at the first light of dawn.

I rolled up to the point. And waited.

Here come the buffalo. The road at this point was on the edge of a sharp drop-off on a mountainside.

...did I mention I had a RED car? A red...YUGO? Yes, I was foolish enough to try to drive a Yugo across the continent. No, I didn't make it, but that is another story. So far, I had had no problems - although they were starting, that morning.

The buffalo came. They saw. They no-liked...I might as well have been waving a red cape at them.

The crowded around. Then they started head-butting. A Yugo was about 1700 pounds, curb weight.

Then they were really pounding it. Actually starting to slide the tires. Denting the metal - which, FWIW, was heavier-gauge than many American or Japanese cars. I wasn't worried about the metal or the paint, but the glass and the cliff.

They were thick around me, and all wanting to get in on the sport. Smearing manure on the sides of the car. Jostling each other. I was waiting for one to jump onto the hood and break the windshield.

Didn't happen. With time, they lost interest and I was able to quietly roll (engine off) the car out of danger.

About that time, I realized I'd completely forgotten about taking photos.

SheepDog68

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
My diesel mule is over a decade old now and doing just fine! Mine is an older design, but I’m assuming it’s very similar.

Mine came with a cage/roll bars, but no roof so I went with 3/4“ plywood with tie downs so not only can I carry gear up there, but I can stand up there and work on my apple orchard.

I wish I had a lower gear and that I could allow it to idle and engine brake down the steep parts of my property. At idle it disconnects the transmission and freewheels, but you raise the RPM’s enough to engage the transmission and low range isn’t low enough for really steep property! A 3 speed with a granny gear would be ideal!

SD

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
You can drive these things on the road in this county and the 4 counties surrounding it with a $35 ORV sticker, and you can drive them in all the state forest areas with a $10 trail sticker. They do not need to be street legal. If you live here you don't need to use your truck much. The bars, restaurants and stores have more ORV's at them than cars nowadays.

Awesome rig, thanks for sharing.

Im a little shocked by the price of them, but considering where the car market is I guess it makes sense.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I had a puny 2004 Mule 610 that I bought used. Ran it a couple years and sold it at a profit. It was too underpowered for the steep terrain around here. Very reliable. I don't care for the belt drive and the lunge you get every time you touch the gas pedal.

Now I have Honda Pioneer 1000. I like the gear drive. Don't like all the problematic electronics. IMO, all these side by sides are overpriced for what they are. ATV's have many advantages......lower center of gravity, less noise, less dust, much easier to tow. The reasons to get a sxs.....bring the wife, get an enclosed cab, smoother ride.

Pioneer 003.JPG

Last edited:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I had a puny 2004 Mule 610 that I bought used. Ran it a couple years and sold it at a profit. It was too underpowered for the steep terrain around here. Very reliable. I don't care for the belt drive and the lunge you get every time you touch the gas pedal.

Now I have Honda Pioneer 1000. I like the gear drive. Don't like all the problematic electronics. IMO, all these side by sides are overpriced for what they are. ATV's have many advantages......lower center of gravity, less noise, less dust, much easier to tow. The reasons to get a sxs.....bring the wife, get an enclosed cab, smoother ride.

View attachment 229263
That is a damn nice machine!

23_28_100s.gif

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Awesome rig, thanks for sharing.

Im a little shocked by the price of them, but considering where the car market is I guess it makes sense.
Think of how expensive they will be next year with the communist regime's 8+ percent inflation. And that's if you can find one to buy.
I had some funds sitting there losing value by the day and figured I might as well convert them to something useful.

.:blond: