• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

So now there is a national COIN shortage.

Roger Ramjet

Lost in a Time Warp
I know a lot of you have major amounts of change saved. Bet you could make a pretty good premium rolling and selling to local merchants or banks in the hardest hit areas. This is why I keep a couple hundred bucks in change and the same in small bills. I don't want to be forced into using electronic payments.

I'm posting this here because it's the metals section even though our coins aren't precious anymore (maybe they are if this goes on).

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/m...ccepting-cash-nationwide-coin-shortage-erupts

RR

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
While emptying our house, I just found 3 more large containers of coins. Guess I'll have to start another "guess how much change" thread before I head to coinstar again.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
From the article:

Meijer Inc., a supermarket chain based in the Midwest, with corporate headquarters in Walker, Michigan, announced last Friday, that self-scan checkout machines at 250 supercenters would only accept credit or debit cards, SNAP and EBT cards, and gift cards.
Call me cynical but I think that's just a move to try to make people move to electronic payments. Some will, for the convenience of self-checkout, if that is the only option. And once they get used to it, they won't go back to paying with cash.
Fed Chair Powell admitted to lawmakers last week that The Fed has been rationing coins as the circulation of coins across the US economy ground to a halt due to the pandemic."What's happened is that with the partial closure of the economy, the flow of coins through the economy ... it's kind of stopped," Powell told lawmakers. He said the shortage was due to the mass business closures that prevented people from spending their coins, as well as a lack of places that are open where people can trade coins for paper bills."We've been aware of it, we're working with the Mint to increase supply, we're working with the reserve banks to get the supply to where it needs to be," Powell said, adding he expected the problem to be temporary.

The Fed can send coins out on a moments notice. They need to stop saying there is a coin shortage. Remember, the Fed requested the US Mint stop producing the dollar coins because there was a billion of them stacking up at the Fed because banks just weren't ordering them. I doubt the Fed is out of quarters, dimes, and nickels. They may say there's a coin shortage due to the China virus but I don't believe them. Just another man-made situation if you ask me.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
"The coronavirus is going to result in mass deaths unless we shutdown the economy..."
"Okay, the economy is shutdown but we can't open it up again or we'll all die from the virus..."
"We must have mail in voting in November or else the virus will kill us all..."
"The coin shortage in the United States is becoming quite severe..."

Lies and more lies.
:dduck:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Went to two major retailers the other day and they had signs by the registers asking for rolled coins. While at the drive thru today, I asked the teller if she knew what was up. She thought it was because people were hording. i told her I think it's a push to cashless. Then she said retailers would rather not deal with loose change. Of course I asked for halves only to be told they had nada.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
give me 30¢ for each one of my quarters, now you've got my interest...

wait:
Don't Coins Come From The Treasury?
how is it the Fed controls our coinage?
Isn't that the way to 'screw the Fed', by using coins? and now i find they're distributing them/ or not?

wtf...i musta been high that day in class...

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
"The United States Mint ships its coins to Federal Reserve Banks, which are responsible for putting coins and paper money into circulation and also for withdrawing them from circulation when they are worn out.

When a private bank needs coins to provide to you and its other customers, it purchases them from a Federal Reserve Bank. Banks have checking accounts at the Federal Reserve Banks, just as you do at your bank. To buy cash for you, your bank uses special checkbook money called a “reserve balance.” The coins make their way back to the Federal Reserve Bank at some point because banks often accumulate more cash than they need for day-to-day transactions. They deposit the excess cash into their checking account at a local branch of the Federal Reserve Bank until their customers need it. Coins circulate from the Federal Reserve Bank to the private banks to you and back again until they are worn out, unfit for circulation. The Federal Reserve replaces those coins by ordering new ones from the U.S. Mint—and once those coins are minted, a new circulation cycle begins. A circulating coin generally lasts 30 years or longer.

source: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Coins/Pages/edu_faq_coins_production.aspx

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
"The United States Mint ships its coins to Federal Reserve Banks, which are responsible for putting coins and paper money into circulation and also for withdrawing them from circulation when they are worn out.

When a private bank needs coins to provide to you and its other customers, it purchases them from a Federal Reserve Bank. Banks have checking accounts at the Federal Reserve Banks, just as you do at your bank. To buy cash for you, your bank uses special checkbook money called a “reserve balance.” The coins make their way back to the Federal Reserve Bank at some point because banks often accumulate more cash than they need for day-to-day transactions. They deposit the excess cash into their checking account at a local branch of the Federal Reserve Bank until their customers need it. Coins circulate from the Federal Reserve Bank to the private banks to you and back again until they are worn out, unfit for circulation. The Federal Reserve replaces those coins by ordering new ones from the U.S. Mint—and once those coins are minted, a new circulation cycle begins. A circulating coin generally lasts 30 years or longer.

source: https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Coins/Pages/edu_faq_coins_production.aspx
I overheard a teller ordering cash. Asked her for the phone number. I didn't get it.

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
went into the bank the other day with a 5 gal pail of quarters,

asked the gal about it, as I had seen the signs regarding this supposed shortage at a convenience store chain

she stated, not in her experience, and there hadn't been any issues as of yet,

yet, I will state, it would absolutely stand to reason,
for 2-3 months, persons haven't been able to go to banks in normal fashion,
restoring their accumulated coinage back into the system,

which is what happened to me, ending up with too damn many quarters laying around,

so to me, there is nothing to read into it,
it just is what it is from closed banking faciities

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

asked the gal about it, as I had seen the signs regarding this supposed shortage at a convenience store chain

which is what happened to me, ending up with too damn many quarters laying around,

Sure, people end up with more coins on hand because their banks have been closed and they can't deposit them. So the banks aren't getting the normal volume of coin being turned in by their customers. However, that does nothing to stop the banks from ordering coins from the Fed though.

You may be right but I still think the Fed could get coins to any bank that asked for them.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Been briefed at work, several times on coin shortage. Told pennies and quarters are in short supply.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Told pennies and quarters are in short supply.
I've been told a mask is saving people from Covid-19.

Last edited:

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've been told a mask is saving people from Covid-19.
I was told if we all flatten the curve this would have been over a long time ago...... but they are going to drag this out to make people suffer.
Average people see the choice. Trump or communism.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
There was another thread here a week or two ago about the shortage of coins. I had mentioned then that I thought I'd remembered that in the 70s/80s, banks were paying a 10% premium for pennies but couldn't find internet evidence. I dug a little deeper and found that it was in fact the case. Looks like one bank even paid a 25% premium. The other GIM thread descended into false flag, real money and bitcoin hell so I'll post this here- seems a little more on topic.

20151030_pennies.jpg

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=243937

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Supposedly lobby's will be opening on a limited basis this coming week.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Since all of our coins now are made from pot metals I don't see a problem

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

So just how much is a 5 gal pail of quarters?

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Went to my local bank the other day and from the ATM vestibule you could see that they had bags of coins lined up in front of the vault. Since most retail is closed they are using the coinage for doorstops, literally. I think the article is just some creative BS to push or reinforce an agenda.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

It may end up with you regretting having converted them into FRNs.
David Neil states that coinage is not from the Federal Reserve & that if FRNs collapse, coinage could be valued differently.
This guy is a new twitter poster who seems to have connections & his feed makes interesting reading.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Local stores around these parts have a sign up saying due to shortage coins from the Federal Reserve they're asking everyone to pay by credit card or exact change

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
FRNs are also signed by the treasury...they're not going anywhere. Bankster credit...on the other hand...well...

Sure the federal regime would like to get rid of both coins and cotton cash, but they'll likely be gotten rid of together.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Verizon is offering VISA credit cards......... probably as a transition to touchless tap to pay digital.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Since all of our coins now are made from pot metals I don't see a problem
Yep probably more value in flattening spent ammo cartridges .22 = Penny,.32=nickle, 9mm = dime, 10mm/.40 = quarter. .45 cal =half dollar.
Problem solved.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
if we moved all to coins, the seigniorage would be significant, our money would literally pay for itself and give us all change, lots of it...

seign·ior·age
/ˈsānyərij/

noun
noun: seigniorage; noun: seignorage
  1. profit made by a government by issuing currency, especially the difference between the face value of coins and their production costs.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
it was about 3/4 full and it came to $2690
The real question is, how much did it weigh? You still have your back and shoulders, Scorpio?

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
You aren't a kiddin' Merlin,

that is one 5 gal pail that you don't carry around, blow the handle right out of the thing,

bagged them up into about 400-500 bucks per bag and took them in

Last edited:

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thank God we Get A Return On Our Tax Investment!

Go Dollar Coins!!!!

and cents and nickles and dimes and quarters and half dollars...

:2 thumbs up:

Carrion Crow

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
I went in the bank today (not knowing about the "coin shortage") and asked for $40 in quarters.
Was told I could only get $10 in quarters. Each week. This is going to be tough for the laundromats, do-it-yourself car washes and other businesses that actually use quarters for their livelihood.
Another pandemic blow to small businesses.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I went in the bank today (not knowing about the "coin shortage") and asked for $40 in quarters.
Was told I could only get $10 in quarters. Each week. This is going to be tough for the laundromats, do-it-yourself car washes and other businesses that actually use quarters for their livelihood.
It will force them to go to tokens and cashless......

ABC123

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Anyone been to Walmart or Lowes? Heard from coworkers they were paying a premium for all coinage.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There tonight. Signs asking to use correct change if possible.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'm going to make up a sign now and hang out at the laundromats. "QUARTERS 8 FOR 3 BUCKS."

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
this wasn't how I saw this coming down the pipe...

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
What else could be expected? The dollar will soon replace the half, then the quarter, dime, nickel and penny in succession!

R.

Last edited: