• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Store shelves keep getting lower and lower

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Sams, Wal Mart, Publix, none has big cases of cat food, tons of other items, hd and lowes the same , everything getting slim, waiting for it to hit gas supplies.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Mirrors here in SC, mostly its particular brands out of stock, ie they have peanut butter but not all brands. Milk but not all brands or flavors. So we continue to stock to overflowing, especially items that don't go bad, tp, soaps, food staples and canned items... just about busting at the seems!

Barrettone

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's absolutely crazy. We couldn't get egg noodles for 6 weeks, and when the wife saw 2 bags left the other day she snapped them up. Glad I have a full pantry, and a stocked retreat, but it's getting hard to simply maintain some items. As others have said, brand selection is out the window. You just have to be happy to find the TYPE of food you want. I figure that Canadian trucker protest is gonna cause some serious ripple effects too!!! Stay tuned...

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I think I got just about everything I had on my list at Sam's club...except for friskies canned cat food.
There was fancy feast in the small cans at 2x the price.
I did pick up 2 bags of dry food for the cat.
Good thing he's not real picky.
I dont care for Walmart shopping but will go take a look there if the tractor supply doesnt have any.

Last edited:

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wet dog food on its last legs at wallyworld. I bought some.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Family like Pilsbury Cinnamon Rolls in the tubes. This week was the first in over a month that I found any store in Central KY to have some, Includes Meijer, Kroger, and Walmarts.
They prefer the Pilsbury C.R. w/ Butter Cream Icing. Those disappeared two months ago.
Oh and the prices have jumped what use to be $2.00 per tube was $2.79 per tube this week.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I think I got just about everything I had on my list at Sam's club...except for friskies canned cat food.
There was fancy feast in the small cans at 2x the price.
I did pick up 2 bags of dry food for the cat.
Good thing he's not real picky.
I dont care for Walmart shopping but will go take a look there if the tractor supply doesnt have any.
We use the online app for wally world, set pickup for several days in advance then mrs BE manages and watches trying to back fill, right up to day of pickup. One cool thing with them, the order filler text's back and forth as they go through the store, giving her options based on availability. Items out of stock local, but available somewhere in the region, are offered to be shipped to us free of charge. So we often have the brown bug in our driveway repeatedly, after each order...

wally definitely has the best prices on the canned goods mrs BE prefers here, their produce and dairy isle is just gross...

EO 11110

stop (them) now
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Sams, Wal Mart, Publix, none has big cases of cat food, tons of other items, hd and lowes the same , everything getting slim, waiting for it to hit gas supplies.

gasoline should be fine. most of the production is not in the communist states. our refineries didnt shut down for the stupid flu. they are in contract negotiations right now. that could do it

observations at local stores - meat sky high, couldnt find a roast. chicken sky high, couldnt find any carcasses (for bone broth), cat food section practically empty. cherries none, honey hit or miss. help wanted signs all over the place

where did the workers go? are they all on welfare now?

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
The cockroaches are going all in to try destroy the US aren't they. There was a period where the shelves in Oz were a bit bare with idiot corporates putting their staff in isolation as a precaution after "exposure" to beer virus but things are pretty much back to normal now. Fuel prices aren't the cheapest but they were worse in 2018-19.

Regular unleaded is about US$4.40 a gallon, I'm filling up with BBQ gas for $2 a gallon. Bear in mind, fuel prices have always more expensive than in the US.

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Tyres are one commodity that are in over supply, the discounting has been ferocious.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Th I'm filling up with BBQ gas for $2 a gallon. Bear in mind, fuel prices have always more expensive than in the US.

Aussies have special BBQ gas?! You guys and your Foster’s. You have all the neat stuff.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Aussies have special BBQ gas?! You guys and your Foster’s. You have all the neat stuff.
They need to start trapping cow farts for the envirnment

Wellsburg

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have seen these items out of stock here intermittently. Onions, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, grapes, head lettuce.
Club crackers, Domino brown sugar, Stove Top stuffing, Pillsbury rolls and biscuits, some brands of bacon, Progresso soup, certain brands of spaghetti/macaroni, Marie Callender pot pies, frozen corn/lima beans/spinach.

All meat prices are increasing weekly. Toilet paper/paper towels/tissues are high priced and the sale prices are no bargain, but the stores do have a pretty good supply lately.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I was at the market this weekend and saw pretty much the same as most everyone else. Lots of holes on the shelves but not totally out of much. For example, in the juice isle much of the Ocean spray cranberry juices were empty but other brands were available in limited supply on the shelf.

As other have said, meat's crazy money but there are still bargains to be had in the meat case. I picked up some assorted pork chops for .99lb, bnls breasts for 1.88lb and bnls thighs for 1.99lb. Red meat was way too high to consider with the best deal being porterhouse steak for 9.99lb, which I already have plenty of in the freezer that I paid 6.99lb for so I passed on those for now.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I was at the market this weekend and saw pretty much the same as most everyone else. Lots of holes on the shelves but not totally out of much. For example, in the juice isle much of the Ocean spray cranberry juices were empty but other brands were available in limited supply on the shelf.

As other have said, meat's crazy money but there are still bargains to be had in the meat case. I picked up some assorted pork chops for .99lb, bnls breasts for 1.88lb and bnls thighs for 1.99lb. Red meat was way too high to consider with the best deal being porterhouse steak for 9.99lb, which I already have plenty of in the freezer that I paid 6.99lb for so I passed on those for now.
Watch the meat case carefully. Prices have exploded; which means a lot of people are not-buying; which means a lot of the meat out for sale, is going close to its SELL-BY date.

I don't know how it is, nationally; but Albertson's has a presence here in town (two stores, smallish city) and they've always got meat marked down. Sometimes it's looking a little rough. But we'd better get used to it, and a bargain is a bargain. Cook it thoroughly.

Remember, the elaborate cooking culture in Paris, began because, by the time the meat wagon got from the countryside into the city, the meat was going over. So they developed the seasonings and recipies to compensate.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Honestly, I wonder how those on a truly fixed budget are handling the rising costs at the grocery... We have increased our food budget 2.5x in the last 24 months and it will probably be 50% of 2023's. Fortunately if it gets bad enough we have items in our budget we can eliminate, many can't. Heaven help the poor bugers that have expensive medical costs, medical combined with food prices and energy costs are really going to squeeze 50%+ of american families. Retiree's with no family or savings are going to have it unbelievablely tough

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Let's not forget there is a slice of Karma involved here.

For years mega retailers like Walmart have stood on the heads of manufacturers and suppliers to constantly reduce prices to them due to their buying power. Now we have shortages that allow suppliers and manufacturers to invoke force majeure on parts of their contracts along with the added ridiculous mandates that these mega retailers will not accept shipments from unvaccinated truck drivers. The added woke vaccination mandates only put the mega retailers in a bad spot if they try to find a legal remedy. Besides, if mega retailer doesn't want the goods there is a line of smaller retailers who do without insane restrictions.

Now, many of the manufacturers and suppliers are telling the mega retailers: This is the price. There is no wiggle room. Oh! By the way that does not include shipping. We only have unvaccinated carriers so if you want to send a truck to pick it up then it is FOB at our docks. The manufacturers and suppliers know full well that the mega retailers don't have enough staff in their own in-house trucking departments to go and pick it up.

So now what?

The mega retailers are now paying the going price for goods instead of the artificially lower prices dictated by the mega retailers with their buying power. In essence, these mega retailer's bluff has been called and found to be just that, total BS by the manufacturers and suppliers.

These same mega retailers are paying the manufacturers and suppliers to ship to third party drop off points near their warehouses (and paying for the transfer) so their in-house vaccinated drivers can pick it up for the last leg of the journey because big woke boss said no unvaccinated drivers.

I know this for a fact since I have a neighbor who is in the logistics business and he's scrambling around to find third party drop off points for the hand offs for these woke mega retailers. He's making good money because you know this won't be forever and it is these mega retailers own stupidity causing this.

This is the unseen tax we are all being forced to pay too. Yet these same smug woke retail executives can say they have no problem getting goods in with vaccinated only truckers to Wall Street and the Government. It's all lies but it is the Joe Six Pack consumer that paying the price for this insane stupidity.

Fatboy

Site Supporter
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy thing for us for the last few weeks has been skim milk. There is usually plenty of 1%, 2% and whole milk, but skim is hard to find. We used to get it at Wegman's and have had to check at WalMart and Aldis and it is hit or miss at both of them. Wegman's still has and sells skim in 1/2 gallon jugs but it is $2.79, about $.20 less than a gallon. :(

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Yet these same smug woke retail executives can say they have no problem getting goods in with vaccinated only truckers to Wall Street and the Government. It's all lies but it is the Joe Six Pack consumer that paying the price for this insane stupidity.
That sums it up. EVERYTHING IS A LIE. Nothing can be believed, because they've been caught in so many lies, so many times. It's really tiresome.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
That sums it up. EVERYTHING IS A LIE. Nothing can be believed, because they've been caught in so many lies, so many times. It's really tiresome.
^^^That right there people is the crux of the problem^^^

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Cracker Barrel lunch items
Philly cream cheese
Those nasty Totinos pizzas.
Cleaning supplies.

The checker ask if I found everything during my last trip. I jokingly asked if she was kidding. Then I pointed out that this must be how the Russians felt under the Soviet’s. I saw an alarm bell go off in her head.

Last edited:

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Sht pretty soon theres going to be a silver shortage, better buy now guys and gals
TO THE MOON!! :rotf:
1644244603671.png

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I dont buy meat at the store, but noticed hamburger was 6.19. No canned biscuits for my biscuits and gravy. Pastas pretty hit and miss, and no butter buds for my popcorn.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
HD out of 3/4 plugs for elect boxes, so is lowes, went to 2 of each and many elec parts shelves bare, have to sort to ebay today

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The canned cat food situation is really bad here unless you want to feed Fancy Feast. I just ordered another three cases of Friskies pate from Chewy. My cat only like certain types of food. He likes it watered down a little and then heated in the microwave for 20 seconds. This is what happened last time his food was not right.

271957299_1126063548197278_5267134753211131343_n.jpg

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The canned cat food situation is really bad here unless you want to feed Fancy Feast. I just ordered another three cases of Friskies pate from Chewy. My cat only like certain types of food. He likes it watered down a little and then heated in the microwave for 20 seconds. This is what happened last time his food was not right.

View attachment 243485
In China, the cats ARE the food :rotf:

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

View attachment 243485
Now that's attitude. Finley should get together with the cat.

Ancient saying, dogs have masters, cats have servants.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Substitute chicken with that killer kitty
here he is being all cute and sweet.. He is a killer though. He has a high body count of critters including a huge black snake and a big Warf rat.

1644261490913.png

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Now that's attitude. Finley should get together with the cat.

Ancient saying, dogs have masters, cats have servants.
I love dogs but blind obedience annoys me. :rotf:

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
We have seen these items out of stock here intermittently. Onions, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, grapes, head lettuce.
Club crackers, Domino brown sugar, Stove Top stuffing, Pillsbury rolls and biscuits, some brands of bacon, Progresso soup, certain brands of spaghetti/macaroni, Marie Callender pot pies, frozen corn/lima beans/spinach.

All meat prices are increasing weekly. Toilet paper/paper towels/tissues are high priced and the sale prices are no bargain, but the stores do have a pretty good supply lately.
Whereabouts?

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Jarrod32

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I dont buy meat at the store, but noticed hamburger was 6.19. No canned biscuits for my biscuits and gravy. Pastas pretty hit and miss, and no butter buds for my popcorn.

Same here on the canned biscuits. We get those often, and they have been quite sparse as of late. I did find a couple cans in the store the other day, and grabbed them. Beef is high as well, but I just finished giving cutting instructions to the local processing place for the 1/4 of beef that I am buying. Locally sourced, locally processed Nebraska beef. Gonna stock the freezer...

agcoacres

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
where did the workers go?

Been wondering/asking about that issue quite a bit. Nobody has any good answers. We have more people in Montana now than prior to Covid and most every business has Help Wanted signs in the window. People are not all working from home or playing video games in the basement while collecting Covid unemployment bennies as Gianforte put a stop to the extras shortly after taking office.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I need to go pick up another beef this week. Was ready late last week but couldnt get out of my driveway (Steep icey hill). This is the 2nd one in less than 6 months that we have bought. (Split the 1st one 3 ways and this one is getting split 3 ways as well but I am getting 1/2) 1st one we paid farmer 2.20 a lb. less than 6 months later price is up 20 cents a lb. You pay for hanging weight.
After processing we will end up spending less than 6 bucks a lb. Thats from burger to tenderloin. This is all high quality choice beef too. The main reason we turned around and ordered a 2nd one right away. Soon as we saw the 1st we were very impressed with this farmer. It's really the only way to buy beef nowadays.
One thing you have to be careful of is some farmers have decided to get into the retail market so shop around. If you have a place nearby that processes meat you can usually hook up with them if your looking for a 1/4 beef or more. Many will sell individual cuts as well but you'll pay full retail for that.

At the grocery stores there were definitely items out of stock and bare shelves compared to last month. Canned cat food has been scarce for awhile now. I got the liver and heart and tongue from this beef so will make cat food out of them. Cats get pissed when they dont get canned food for awhile but fuck em. they just cats. They go off hunting and find their own shit after awhile. I've gone away for 2 weeks and dont feed em while I'm gone obviously. They figure it out and just go kill shit to eat.

TP and paper goods are in stock but definitely up 20-30% over the last few months. For baking stuff a friend told me about an amish market not far from here so I went there last week. They were well stocked on everything and prices were very reasonable compared to grocery store. Bread flour less then 5 bucks for 5 lbs. I'm just starting to use it today but if it's good I'll go back for 50 lbs.

Since I just started on bread making and pasta making i am not as well stocked as i would like to be but probably have a years supply of pasta flour already and that can easily be stretched by making pasta and freezing or drying it for longer term storage. After making my 1st pasta and breads there is no way I will go back to store bought shit. Not even close to the same quality as home made and home made is fairly simple to do. Sour dough is more challenging and especially so in my colder than normal house. My normal temps in the house are 60-65 and thats not great temps for proofing bread. Takes longer but you can proof in the oven as well. Just turn on the light and thats enough to get the temp up high enough.
Fresh produce is getting thin. Leeks especially. Definitely on my list of things to grow this year.