• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Swords

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I know that swords are popular collectibles and I'm wondering if anyone here has any expertise in said hobby. I'm no collector but I've always wanted a Katana. When I had an opportunity a few months ago to acquire one I bought it. Generally it is good advice to research stuff like this before you buy, but me being me, I dumped a chunka change onnit and grabbed it up. Reading on the interwebs I discover that you can buy these 'quality' reproductions for fifty, sixty bucks and I'm thinkin; what if...

BS Katanas.jpg

So, if anyone's interested here's some photos of the one I got. If anyone here knows about these (not an internet expert, a collector expert) I would be pleased to PM some closeups and such if you could help authenticate it.

Sword 07.jpg

Blade Hilt.jpg

Handle.jpg

Handle& Blade.jpg

comments?
Bottom Feeder

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I too Collect swords, but from the other side of the pond. WWI and WWII Military Europe.

Does it have any proof marks? You will need to remove the handle and the Tsuba (guard) to gain more info.

Sorry but I'm not much help on Japanese Swords but there are a few good forums dedicated to swords and id.

PM me if you need help finding them.

Dozer

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Thanks, dozer, I have already perused a few sites looking at what is there. There are no ID markings on the blade. It is quite damaged near the pointy end, as if someone had been using it for a shovel — a particularly bad nick in the first two inches that is about the diameter of a pencil lead.

It looks like some idiot tried to 'sharpen' about six inches of the end — prolly why they had it for sale.

BF

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
No harm in knocking the pin out and having a look see under the handle than.

Let me know what you find!

Dozer

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I know that swords are popular collectibles and I'm wondering if anyone here has any expertise in said hobby. I'm no collector but I've always wanted a Katana. When I had an opportunity a few months ago to acquire one I bought it. Generally it is good advice to research stuff like this before you buy, but me being me, I dumped a chunka change onnit and grabbed it up. Reading on the interwebs I discover that you can buy these 'quality' reproductions for fifty, sixty bucks and I'm thinkin; what if...

So, if anyone's interested here's some photos of the one I got. If anyone here knows about these (not an internet expert, a collector expert) I would be pleased to PM some closeups and such if you could help authenticate it.

comments?
Bottom Feeder
I've bought and sold several replicas. Unless you plan to spend triple figures, your only gonna have a replica.

What specific info were you given on the piece?

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
What specific info were you given on the piece?
The guy I bought it from said it belonged to his grandpa. He inherited it when he passed away.
Keep it in the family, granpa says...
John needs to make a car payment...

Bottom Feeder winds up with it.

Unh, dozer, I'm a little skittish to do any disassembly
antiques don't like to be messed with by us amateurs.

BF

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The guy I bought it from said it belonged to his grandpa. He inherited it when he passed away.
Keep it in the family, granpa says...
John needs to make a car payment...

Bottom Feeder winds up with it.

Unh, dozer, I'm a little skittish to do any disassembly
antiques don't like to be messed with by us amateurs.

BF
I know a lotta vets bought em (replicas) when they were overseas back in the day.

https://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/authentic-japanese-swords.html

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I know a lotta vets bought em (replicas) when they were overseas back in the day.

https://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/authentic-japanese-swords.html
I've looked at that site already, misty. They focus more on contemporary swords and do not give much help on identifying older blades.

No harm in knocking the pin out and having a look see under the handle than.

Let me know what you find!

Dozer
OK dozer, I did that, kinda surprised as how easily the Tsuka slid off.
Underneath is a buncha jap hieroglyphics etched into it.

BF

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
So I am a member here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/help-identifying-wwii-japanese-sword.1079377/

Post your Sword here and they will be able to (with good close up pics) tell you the who/what/where and when of your pig sticker.

Good job on getting the Tsuka off (Soldiers were able to do it in the field to clean every part of the sword).

Oh and don't think that because you picked it up cheap that it might not be the genuine article. I paid $40 at a yard sale a few weeks ago for a pre WWI Bavarian Officers Artillery sword (Basket Hilt type) in VG++ condition.