• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Tesla in ‘Code Red Situation’ as Sell-Off Exceeds 20%

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Very curious about the sudden sharp jump of Tesla price from 250 to 330$. It was a 1.5 billion dollar loss for the shorts. Even Zacks was recommending Tesla on their short sell list? Some analysts are calling for a 3500$ price target. Well with an accommodative fed and basically a government giving unlimited hand outs to select few car makers, their 3550 Tesla price may be achievable. Why not give away one Tesla per family to all Americans. That way Tesla will be forever in business and the feds will have 100% employment.
The price jump was because Tesla profits exceeded forecasts by a significant margin.

The tax credits for Tesla have all but run out. Other makers of electric cars can still qualify, until they hit a certain number of sales.
Doesn't matter, Tesla is crushing the competition on value, not on price.

Zed

Barely Bullish!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Right... and the rest of the car industry is facing 'carmageddon'. I'm not thinking any of this is sustainable, the whole industry is going to have a wash out and they have only just stopped losing money, for a quarter. I'm thinking that at the very least the gap in that chart gets covered, that was short's getting toasted... not what you need for a sustainable move.

Auto, period, is on the nose. Watch this space.

Scorpio

Hunter of elusive Beer Virus
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
here you go mad, big 'ole gap up on earnings news,

1.png

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Once they get a 500 mile range and under 50k it's all over. No one will want a gas engine vehicle. I'm waiting for a 400 mile range so I can make it from Las Vegas to San Diego without stopping for a charge and have room for some battery depreciation.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Once they get a 500 mile range and under 50k it's all over. No one will want a gas engine vehicle. I'm waiting for a 400 mile range so I can make it from Las Vegas to San Diego without stopping for a charge and have room for some battery depreciation.
you're not expecting much :)

I'll tell you what, if you could bring forth a storage device for electricity that doesn't degrade and doesn't weigh so much, and doesn't catch on fire from just sitting there, you'll be rich

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'm waiting for one I can hook to a 10k# trailer and drive 1k miles then refuel in 15min and do it again...anything less would be a step down for me :)

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm waiting for one I can hook to a 10k# trailer and drive 1k miles then refuel in 15min and do it again...anything less would be a step down for me :)
My mom's name was Mom, i'll bet yours was too, Brother!
:2 thumbs up:

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Once they get a 500 mile range and under 50k it's all over.
Um..... do you want to run the radio? Heater? AC? Windshield wipers? In windy or snowy conditions? Better look for a 1K mile range because it drops fast if you run anything but the basic car itself.

FYI; Ford is going big into the electric charging business. Both home market chargers and fast chargers in public places. Must mean Ford is either shifting direction or will be coming out with electric cars soon. Makes me wonder if their angle is making a buck every time someone charges up will be more profitable and much less overhead / no unions than making cars.......... Also repair parts for electric cars are minimal along with lubricants etc......

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
FYI; Ford is going big into the electric charging business. Both home market chargers and fast chargers in public places. Must mean Ford is either shifting direction or will be coming out with electric cars soon. Makes me wonder if their angle is making a buck every time someone charges up will be more profitable and much less overhead / no unions than making cars.......... Also repair parts for electric cars are minimal along with lubricants etc......
but, what happens at the end of the day, they'll have all of this infrastructure and no one using any of it...i know I won't be sitting at some charging station for 20-30 minutes, that won't be happening in my lifetime

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
They have studied & most will charge at home. Enough to get to & from work or whatever. Then the "fast Chargers will be more like 40 minutes or as the guy on the radio said a "sit down dinner at a restaurant"...... but another point he made is you will charge just enough to get to the next location........ I found that interesting. I always fill my car. Now people will be putting in enough to get to the next stop......... all I can think of is like ATM fees they will kill you $1 at a time. PS I use cash.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
and no one eats a dinner every 300 miles...and i've yet to read anyone descriptively tell the story on how much it actually costs to charge one of these things...around here, from 4pm to 9pm, electricity is expensive, dinner time too!

so, people will get home from work and wait to charge their vehicle? plug it in a 9:01PM and leave it plugged in till the morning but, what about those people who forgot to plug their car in, they fell asleep, now they can only 'get' to work, does the company need to provide charging services for their employees? How much will that cost?

Electric Cars are Boons and the Doggles are being created as i type

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
lectric Cars are Boons and the Doggles are being created as i type
Not saying I agree. Just information I have. Guy at work has one so keeps me up to speed.

My friends in Europe say in 20 years it will be hydrogen fuel cells. Porsche & Audi are working hard in that direction. That opens a lot of the same doors about availability etc..... Infrastructure seems to be a huge sticking point.
But if you think of it as a plan they shove electric down out throats, people buy, more debt, then unleash "the solution to the EV shortcomings" with hydrogen powered cars.

Cost to charge his car is less than $2. Charges at work for free so $4 a day to go 70 miles.

I think it will be a Uber ' Lyft, short, bus future for most with most everything delivered directly to your home. Not a good outlook for brick & mortar stores or even towns for that matter......

Last edited:

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++

everything

Seeker
We need to come to terms: The world is literally on fire. For humans, fire is what grew our brains, we cooked the meat, the parasites were killed, the meat was safer to eat, and we pretty much killed and ate anything that moved. You turn the key in your gas car, and your making little fires in the cylinders. We are going to burn this place down, or die trying.

Ultimately, they will jack the price of electricity, to build the infrastructure needed but first they have to get everyone on board. Government can subsidize but also regulate. EV is somewhat hypocritical (in a way). Here is an example. This country pumps oil, quantity, 2nd to Saudi Arabia, with most expensive petrol price in the world, they use very, very little of it. Norway has no pipelines, no natural gas, everything is already electrified and will probably stay that way. Do they have the infrastructure, no but they will build it.
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/18/ev-tippin-point-in-norway/

Also, since Europe cars were mostly all diesel, it's an easier sell. America will be last to adopt EV, gasoline taxes are an important local revenue. Which is a little odd, we have some of the cheapest electricity in the world, any of my friends who run EV are totally jacked up about it.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/3...um-netherlands-luxembourg-france-spain-italy/

Will I buy EV anytime soon?, no, I have nowhere to charge it, for now, it's more for the richer, just like the Prius initially was, as my richy friends bought them I said why you buy, tax writeoff.

Last edited:

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I expect some pullback, but Tesla has won.

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 12.18.26 PM.png

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Screaming deal in June and irrational exuberance in December... 'gap' to fill?? Wish I had a log chart...

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 8.28.44 PM.png

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
has he made it to 420 yet?

i heard the price will get a bit fuzzy at that point

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Screaming deal in June and irrational exuberance in December... 'gap' to fill?? Wish I had a log chart...

View attachment 149432
I bought a few shares in the high 200's / low 300's. Some are for trading some are for holding. Putting some sell orders in here.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
you're not expecting much :)

I'll tell you what, if you could bring forth a storage device for electricity that doesn't degrade and doesn't weigh so much, and doesn't catch on fire from just sitting there, you'll be rich
I really don't get the Tesla acolytes. Battery powered vehicles were around before the combustion engine. They lost because nothing beats the energy storage of diesel and gasoline. There are not a lot of good options yet for battery storage. The company is now vastly overvalued but what else would you expect in such a broken and corrupted market?

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I really don't get the Tesla acolytes. Battery powered vehicles were around before the combustion engine. They lost because nothing beats the energy storage of diesel and gasoline. There are not a lot of good options yet for battery storage. The company is now vastly overvalued but what else would you expect in such a broken and corrupted market?
These people are mentally deranged...the company still hasn’t made a dime of profit. Completely ridiculously that it’s trading for more than a penny stock. Just goes to show that Liberalism truly is a mental disorder.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
$492 ... I've enjoyed profiting from the short squeeze immensely, took profits, riding free shares.
:2 thumbs up::laughing:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
$492 ... I've enjoyed profiting from the short squeeze immensely, took profits, riding free shares.
Sounds like what a buncha folks shoulda done with Bitcoin...

Just sayin'

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sounds like what a buncha folks shoulda done with Bitcoin...

Just sayin'
Someone here said it years ago, "All the money I've ever made was from selling too soon."

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Um..... do you want to run the radio? Heater? AC? Windshield wipers? In windy or snowy conditions? Better look for a 1K mile range because it drops fast if you run anything but the basic car itself.

Local Meijer store has a bank of TESLA chargers at the edge of their property, been there for years now.
NEVER have seen the first Tesla there recharging.
FYI

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Local Meijer store has a bank of TESLA chargers at the edge of their property, been there for years now.
NEVER have seen the first Tesla there recharging.
FYI
Shanghai or Los Angeles you can't cross the street without getting run over by one of those stealthy mf'ers. None in Japan or Taiwan. FYI.

Strawboss

Apocaloptimist
Site Mgr
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Who would of thunk that a car company that builds less than 400K cars per year would be approaching the market valuation of the largest automaker in the world - Volkswagen...

Tesla is worth more than GM and Ford...

Nothing makes sense to me anymore...

Bizarro world for sure...

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Who would of thunk that a car company that builds less than 400K cars per year would be approaching the market valuation of the largest automaker in the world - Volkswagen...

Tesla is worth more than GM and Ford...

Nothing makes sense to me anymore...

Bizarro world for sure...
Reminds me of the 1990's where you could toss a dart at the wall st. journal high tech and make a killing....

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 3.45.54 PM.png

:2 thumbs up:

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Makes me want to go collect aluminum cans for my deposit payment on my new Tesla Truck

stock price is good, the product must be good!

What A Review!
What A Guy!

takes our tax money and makes his shit in a foreign country

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Still holding? That was a nice trade. This has gone full blown parabolic short squeeze. The true believers are getting a little annoying.

1580765254707.png

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Still holding a small position. :beer:
Looks like you may get to sell the last portion in the 800-950 range, if this goes full Bitcoin. From ZH summary today.

1580767722290.png

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
From the OP, sounds like this guy did a dump and pump. Could he have possibly have been any more wrong?

In a note Sunday, Wedbush analyst Dan Ives wrote that Tesla faces a “Kilimanjaro-like uphill climb” to hit targets for profitability in the second half of the year. He cast doubt on underlying demand for the company’s first mass-manufactured vehicle, the Model 3 sedan, and cut his price target on the stock to $230 from $275.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Looks like you may get to sell the last portion in the 800-950 range, if this goes full Bitcoin. From ZH summary today.

View attachment 153305
1 Bitcoin = 9267.78 FRNs at the moment. Really no idea what the above chart is intended to represent. If someone's prediction...they're WAY off.

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
From the OP, sounds like this guy did a dump and pump. Could he have possibly have been any more wrong?
The stock market doesn't trade on fundamentals. Tesla's fundamentals are crap. But a slightly less bad quarter or even a highly massaged quarter has caused a short-squeeze. These trades have nothing to do with fundamentals. They are all about fear and greed.

Last edited:

Zed

Barely Bullish!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
TSLA is trading like a wild gold junior... this has to crash badly. Only coke heads chase action like this in a car stock, this is truly insane.