• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The BEST and WORST Types of Silver for Stacking or Investing

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
The BEST and WORST Types of Silver for Stacking or Investing

Silver Dragons

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
5 Mistakes Silver Stackers Make at the Coin Shop

keef

Пальто Crude
Midas Member
junk silver is just too blaaaz-A. Old Mexican libertads are the best shape/size, best feel in hand and best cha-chng sound while stacking.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The best kind to stack was $12 silver a few months back .............. but none was available....... or so they said.

Is there a lesson here? It was available at ~$15-$17........... now $24+.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
The type of silver to stack depends on your objectives. If you're going to look at them and play with them then you probably want get silver that has some interest beyond silver content. Maybe you're into numismatics or silverware or whatever, knock yourself out. But get to know your dealer and let them know what your objectives are.

For my money it's all about the price per ounce of actual silver content. And the premiums on various forms of silver will fluctuate all the time. Every once in a while my dealer will call me and tell me that he just got a batch of "X" that he's trying to get rid of so it's going to be cheaper. It saves him the risk and expense of sending it off to the smelter where he will get less. Somebody may bring in a couple thousand dollars face of, say Kennedy halves and he'll be letting them go for spot price. Next time it may be 100 ounce bars or generic rounds or mixed 90% at little over spot. Whatever it is, I'm looking for little to no premium because you seldom recover the premium when you go to sell- especially if the price moves up. Premiums tend to go down as the silver price goes up.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Has anyone ever though about buying silver shot and pouring your own? The idea kind of intrigues me. GIM "Hand Poured Rebel Money".

RR
If that does it for you then go for it. Again, it depends on your objective. I can see how that would be a fun project- but just know this: From an investment standpoint it would be the absolute worst thing you could do. I would be astonished if you were able to get more than 75% of spot value when you get ready to sell. No one but a smelter would be able to properly assay your home-poured bar. And then you would have to wait for the assay to get paid. And those guys don't work for nothing. A recognizable hallmark is absolutely essential on any PM to get anything approaching spot when you're selling.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I think the 2 best stacking silver options are ASEs and Canadian silver Maples and government issues silver. ASEs are highly desirable as as such, bring top dollar and the CA silver is the some of the purest you'll find in a gov issued coin (.9999 pure)

I agree with D-F above on the worst way to stack silver.
Just my .02

Last edited:

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Low premium, generic rounds/bars and junk silver. Yeah eagles are lovely, but I stack them only when there are unbeatable deals that drop premiums to < $2(right this second the premium is roughly TEN BUCKS!). Contrary to rumors, silver eagles DO NOT skip across the water any better than generic rounds.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Don't stack bullion that advertises a dealers business. Sure it's still 999 white copper but why would your LCS want to advertise a major competitor's website? Trust me, they don't.

:meditation:

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I store in tarnished silver dinner and cooking set, hand crafted, so it is everyday usage for me.
That's awesome.

You no doubt already know but it's worth repeating for those who don't- If you're buying them based on weight, the knife handles are usually ballasted with cement, stone or some other sort of aggregate that isn't worth much- except by the truckload...

Roger Ramjet

Lost in a Time Warp
If that does it for you then go for it. Again, it depends on your objective. I can see how that would be a fun project- but just know this: From an investment standpoint it would be the absolute worst thing you could do. I would be astonished if you were able to get more than 75% of spot value when you get ready to sell. No one but a smelter would be able to properly assay your home-poured bar. And then you would have to wait for the assay to get paid. And those guys don't work for nothing. A recognizable hallmark is absolutely essential on any PM to get anything approaching spot when you're selling.
Good points. I was thinking more along the lines of after TEOTWAWKI and issuing your own currency to be used as you try to reestablish some kind of order. Pre TEOTWAWKI minted coins and rounds would be held in reserve to serve as the basis and backing for your own currency since they would probably be highly valuable as things get going again (not too soon post collapse though - lots of other things would be at the top of the want list then). More an intellectual exercise than anything else.

I got the idea from a guy around here who collects aluminum and melts it down himself into 1 pound ingots (takes a lot) but he sells them for significantly higher prices than just cans to our recyclers...

RR

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Stack what is widely and well known to the most buyers in your geographic area. So basically, don't stack silver dinars or Chinese sycee in the USA. Never mind the prejudicial aspect, no one except a really experienced buyer, who is probably going to melt them, will want them.

Stay away from hand poured shade tree refiners' bars, most you'll get offered is probably scrap prices bacuase unless the buyer has a XRF machine most people won't be able to truly assay the stuff accurately. Plus it limits what the buyer can use it for too, except for melt.

MIavatar

Silver Miner
I'm feeling ok with loading up on more 1 gram rounds. I found some for $1.50 still. Off topic but I bought some copper minted coins for $1.5 an ounce too.

Like those valcambi break apart bars too.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'm feeling ok with loading up on more 1 gram rounds. I found some for $1.50 still. Off topic but I bought some copper minted coins for $1.5 an ounce too.

Like those valcambi break apart bars too.
Thanks I had never considered those........ interesting.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That works out to ~$46.50/oz. I'll pass
I was looking at gold and though they were cute. Yes it kills ya to not buy less than an oz because of the added cost.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I was looking at gold and though they were cute. Yes it kills ya to not buy less than an oz because of the added cost.
I'll take 1 gram gold for a buck and a half all day long :)

DanG

While I wouldn't buy any now....

A) any generic .999 rounds bought at the lowest premium possible (hopefully spot - never more than $1 over spot).

B) ASE BU or better at lowest price over spot possible (hopefully at spot, never more than $2 over) in Mint rolls

that's it - that's the answer.

edsl48

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My thoughts are based upon history as I saw it unfold over the time of mid 70s till now most of us are tied to LCS who more or less will offer a percentage of melt. Assorted attractive mintage's while attractive to you are to the marketplace simply melt. Naturally there are higher values placed upon certain numismatic items but overall just be prepared to be offered an amount under melt.
One thing that has had a theory over the years is what we call junk silver being it has assorted benefits including readily recognizable qualities making it the possible preferred transaction currency of the future.
None the less on any of this though my opinion is buying high premium items will, at the LCS, be offered an amount based upon a percentage of melt.

JMHO