• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The Black Berkey system is a sick joke - and one that may end up with you being sick

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker
I've personally promoted the Black Berkey elements for years. That ended tonight.

I learned a few weeks back that one of the "laboratory tests" New Millennium Concepts, Ltd., the manufacturer of the Black Berkey elements, asserts (asserted?) to be valid in supporting the Black Berkey's efficacy was outright fraudulent. This test was alleged to have been performed at Louisiana State University, but the professor cited on the report will cheerfully tell you that the report NMC peddled was not done by him.

This got me concerned. So, I did some home testing. And what the hell, the Coliform bacteria test is positive! All this while, I believed what was said about the "greatness" of the Berkey system. Including the now-obvious nonsense of the Black Berkey elements being "self-sterilizing."

How far this scam goes I do not know. I had confidence in them, total confidence, enough to trust my family's health to them. To put it bluntly, they "conned" me. Confidence artists, nothing more.

If you use the Berkey system, you owe it to yourself and your family's well-being to do your own testing. And start demanding some real analytic reports from NMC.

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker
Re: The Black Berkey system is a sick joke - and one that may end up with you being s

Further research is showing that most of the "independent distributor" type water filter/purifier companies are making claims that range from "sort of true" to outright deceitful.

ProPur, Alex Jones' favorite, claims to be "NSF certified." This is untrue. If you write to NSF, they will tell you that ProPur products are not certified. In reality, in a few cases, one component of some of their products is certified - for another company, Ceramic Filters Company, Inc., who apparently makes parts for, or the entire ProPur elements. I say "apparently" since neither company involved will outright admit the whole truth of the matter (basically, it's limited to "we have a 'relationship' with them"). CFCi's main product is the AquaCera line, but there is some question as to their continued relationship with Fairey Industrial Ceramics, the owner/manufacturer of Doulton & British Berkefeld products. It is unclear if AquaCera is a truly new product, or a re-branded Doulton. CFCi began as an importer for Doulton.

So far, it appears that Fairey Industrial Ceramics' own "Doulton" products (e.g., the white Sterasyl candles) are legit in both claims of certification and efficacy, along with the popular & ubiquitous product "Pur" (made by either Procter & Gamble or Kaz, Inc.; it's unclear who is the current owner).

This is a lesson of "take nothing on faith." Research, research, research. Especially when it involves health claims...and what could become quite real effects on your health if those health claims are false.

Thornapple

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Re: The Black Berkey system is a sick joke - and one that may end up with you being s

The Armchair Survivalist did a show on the history of the two companies and how New Millennium basically decided to go the cheap China crap way. The ceramic silver impregnated filters are what everyone should have. The black filters are just plain old carbon filters and are really only good for removing chlorine taste.

The show was from April 8th 2012 which you can listen to here

http://gsradio.net/armchairsurvivalist/

4/8/12 show MP3:
http://mediaarchives.gsradio.net/armchair/040812.mp3

Bx3

Silver Member
Silver Miner

Dump the Berkeys. Go with what works in real third world countries. Katadyn Ceradyn and Sawyer Squeeze and Point Zero Two (rated to filter 1 million gallons to include viruses). Bx3

Malus

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling

Thornapple

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

I have a couple of those. You can buy it cheaper at CheaperThanDirt.com if you supply your own food grade buckets and don't mind drilling a couple of holes.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-352

Also have a Katadyn for the BOB because its small and packable, yet still a ceramic filter.

mm

I kept telling you guys but few would listen ...... buy American.

rampage

Seeker
Seeker

mm

That's a nice design, filters through a ceramic stone.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

mm

i dont have any testing.....but that is what is on my shelf...........my intent would also to be to expose to sunlight after filtration

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Does aqua rain have a flouride filter?

Zilver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

I love my Berkey,
the water tastes great and I think it works well.
I use the old style white filters, they have been around a long time and have been proven effective
(These water filters have truly stood the test of time)

:idea:
did you check your black filters for cracks?
Berkey has a page that explains how to check them with food coloring here:

Does aqua rain have a flouride filter?
Water filters use activated charcoal to remove fluorine and chlorine, the chemicals bond to the carbon.

Ceramic filters use porous ceramic material called a "micro sieve" that blocks pathogens and heavy metals from passing thru the filter.

The ceramic filters in the AquaRain have an activated charcoal core.

Neither AquaRain nor Berkey will remove Viral contamination, use whatever means you have if your water source is suspect to virus contamination i.e., Boil, UV lamp, Ozone Injection or Chlorination.

Do not use Iodine as a long term purification process due to cumulative iodine in the thyroid glands.

Any gravity or pressure water filter that claims to be a "purifier" is using an iodine matrix filter - great for emergencies but bad for long term.

I use to carry a First Need water purifier in the backcountry but it was a short lived filter that used an iodine matrix. Now I use a MSR mini water works ceramic filter with a Steripen UV purifier.

earplugs

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling

I drank some berkey water and thought it was nasty, tasted too chemically for me. Never used it again. what a waste of money.

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker

Water filters use activated charcoal to remove fluorine and chlorine, the chemicals bond to the carbon.
Not true in the case of fluoride compounds. Fluoride filters (generally) use aluminum to bind the fluoride. I believe certain ceramics work at mechanically blocking it.

I use to carry a First Need water purifier in the backcountry but it was a short lived filter that used an iodine matrix. Now I use a MSR mini water works ceramic filter with a Steripen UV purifier.
The First Need is the only one to my knowledge that does not use iodine for "purification."

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker

I love my Berkey,
the water tastes great and I think it works well.
I use the old style white filters, they have been around a long time and have been proven effective
(These water filters have truly stood the test of time)

:idea:
did you check your black filters for cracks?
Berkey has a page that explains how to check them with food coloring here:
The food coloring "test" is one of the worst anti-scientific confidence scams in consumer products there is. Most contaminants are smaller than the dye/colorant particles, so it proves nothing.

And no, the elements are not cracked or damaged in any way. Further, cracks in this situation would be irrelevant, since the source water is not contaminated. The bacterial contamination is from the internal chamber of falsely-claimed "self-sterilizing" Black Berkey elements.

I think that the fact NMC refuses to provide real (traceable, verifiable) lab analyses, and even forged at least one of them, demonstrates that their product is something to be avoided at all costs.

If you are using the white elements, then you are using either a genuine NSF-certified Doulton Sterasyl candle, or a knock-off, but not topic of this thread, a Black Berkey.

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker

Dump the Berkeys. Go with what works in real third world countries. Katadyn Ceradyn and Sawyer Squeeze and Point Zero Two (rated to filter 1 million gallons to include viruses). Bx3
These may be fine for in-the-wilderness potable water, but are woefully impractical for daily home use. I'd also like to see credible evidence of the "1 million gallons" claim. NMC's claim of even "3,000 gallons" per element is so much crap.

Thornapple

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Some of the Katadyn use ceramic silver impregnated filters just like the large ceramic ones. You can take them out and clean them and reuse them just the same.

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn...s-endurance-series-products/katadyn-pocket-1/

However I agree that for daily use you wouldn't want to use a hand pump filter. A gravity drip one would be far more convenient. But the Katadyns are great for a bug out bag or to put in emergency trunk bag. They are a bit pricey, the one above is about $300.

platinumdude

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling

So are the buckets better than aquarain?

j-son

Seeker
Seeker

because of this thread, i learned about sawyer squeeze...i have been watching youtube videos on it.
seems nice to have for portable water needs.

i use the big berkey in the home with black filters.

seems ok to me but then again i think my tap water is ok too.

Thornapple

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

So are the buckets better than aquarain?
The bucket solution's advantage is that its really, really, cheap and anyone can afford to do it. If you can afford a better made unit by all means do so. The buckets are obviously unattractive on your counter top if you use it daily. But for a cheap emergency solution where you don't care how it looks its great. Even if you buy a couple as spares to give to friends during emergency times so they can have water too.

The bucket solution's advantage is that its really, really, cheap and anyone can afford to do it. If you can afford a better made unit by all means do so. The buckets are obviously unattractive on your counter top if you use it daily. But for a cheap emergency solution where you don't care how it looks its great. Even if you buy a couple as spares to give to friends during emergency times so they can have water too.

And then there are people who actually use these water filters.

When I see peeps actually spending millions of dollars for millions of bottles of water and the millions of stupid bottles piling up ...

... I loose my faith in collective intelligence.

mayhem

Другая перспектива
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

I'm on well water that has some aftertaste. Had it checked and it is safe to drink, just has a little sulpher taste.(well I do live in S. FL.)

Set up the bucket filter system using three candle filters with a 3 gallon bucket for a base in the laundry room ten years ago. We have better water than you can buy, and that comes from anyone who tastes it. We store in in 1 gallon jugs.(about 10 of them) We started with berkey's but switched to silver impregnated ceramic filters the last time we changed out the filters 4 years ago. I keep 6 on hand as spares, so I'm good for another 10 years or so.

Y'all can waste your money on these expensive stainless filters if you want to, but it makes no sense to me.

Bx3

Silver Member
Silver Miner

These may be fine for in-the-wilderness potable water, but are woefully impractical for daily home use. I'd also like to see credible evidence of the "1 million gallons" claim. NMC's claim of even "3,000 gallons" per element is so much crap.
Al, I never recommend any product that I don't either own or have at least first hand experience with. I happen to own and have used all of the filters I mentioned. Yes the Squeez is a portable model but the Ceradyn and Point Zero Two are both bucket or bucket capable filters. If 1g/hr for 39,000 gallons (Ceradyn) or 3+g/hr for up to 1 million gallons (Point Zero Two) isn't suitable for daily home use then please tell us what is. Are there more practical home filter systems available? Absolutely yes. But both models are in the same "gravity/bucket" category as the Berkey which is what I am comparing them against. Even if Sawyers claims for 1 million gallons is overly optimistic (which I have no reason to doubt) at 1/10th of their claim you are still at 100,000 gallons. Obviously the turbidity of the water you start with will determine the life and effectiveness of any filter system. If you need more clean water than that, you have bigger problems. Bx3

Garyw

The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure
Silver Miner

I traveled across the country for 3 months this spring camping and used a bucket system with one black berkey filter in the center. I have used it for about a year now before I went on vacation. My question is I ran into bad water in many places and the worst was in Yuma AZ. It is salty or do I just boil it. My filter will not filter salt out of water. Is there a filter that will?

Zilver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

The food coloring "test" is one of the worst anti-scientific confidence scams in consumer products there is. Most contaminants are smaller than the dye/colorant particles, so it proves nothing.

And no, the elements are not cracked or damaged in any way. Further, cracks in this situation would be irrelevant, since the source water is not contaminated. The bacterial contamination is from the internal chamber of falsely-claimed "self-sterilizing" Black Berkey elements.

I think that the fact NMC refuses to provide real (traceable, verifiable) lab analyses, and even forged at least one of them, demonstrates that their product is something to be avoided at all costs.

If you are using the white elements, then you are using either a genuine NSF-certified Doulton Sterasyl candle, or a knock-off, but not topic of this thread, a Black Berkey.
:hmmmm2:
RGC002-willis.jpg

The test will show if your filter / filters have a crack in them
they cannot "self-sterilize" if you have a crack or loose bases and unfiltered water is let through

stAGgering

Silver Miner
Seeker

mm

Have a couple and have coiled .9999 silver wire inside the holding tank. Same as my stainless canteens.

Have a couple and have coiled .9999 silver wire inside the holding tank. Same as my stainless canteens.

The water doesn't stay too long in mine, it fills the water pitchers in the fridge.

The silver ceramic do a great job ..... silver is a noble, human friendly metal.

Last edited:

mayhem

Другая перспектива
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

I traveled across the country for 3 months this spring camping and used a bucket system with one black berkey filter in the center. I have used it for about a year now before I went on vacation. My question is I ran into bad water in many places and the worst was in Yuma AZ. It is salty or do I just boil it. My filter will not filter salt out of water. Is there a filter that will?
As far as I know only RO will remove salt from water.

8bit

Astonishing. I've been using mine for the past year and was looking for replacement filters.

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker

:hmmmm2:
View attachment 19956

The test will show if your filter / filters have a crack in them
they cannot "self-sterilize" if you have a crack or loose bases and unfiltered water is let through
The food coloring test is not scientific.

Read that again: the food coloring test is not scientific.

The colorant/dye particles are larger than most contaminants. No food coloring in the output does not mean "pure." Cracks in the elements are just as easily found by physical examination.

And the Black Berkey elements do not self-sterilize because they have no ability to do so. Period. NMC refuses to disclose what alleged (read: non-existent) element/substance supposedly does the "self-sterilization" regardless of the structural integrity of the elements themselves. If the Black Berkey contained silver (or anything that causes an oligodynamic effect), there would be no positive result for coliform bacteria.

Astonishing. I've been using mine for the past year and was looking for replacement filters.
The black Berkeys do a great job filtering potable city water.

It must be getting real popular because I'm starting to see those black charcoal filters on little water bottles at Wallyworld.

bubbles

Seeker
Seeker

Can i use some of the Doulton filters on my big berkey? Specifically these Also if i do use these filters or get the aqua rain how do i kill the viral stuff? Thanks for the info guys. I wish i would of listen to you minimus.

Always

ok. i'm going to pay to have my berkey water professionally tested too. full panel. i'm sick of not knowing what's what.