• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The Old Man's Breakfast

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Like Heinlein said once; “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, ... cook a tasty meal,...” etcetera, etcetera, but I’m just gonna focus on brefust today. Don’t want nothing to do with no diapers.

Wife goes to work in the AM while I’m just starting to fix my morning coffee. So I’m left on my own to scrounge up breakfast. I don’t want to go out to eat in some café, I’m too cheap to do that every day. And, besides I have tinkerin to do, I’m too busy to waste my morning in some breakfast ritual with strangers.

Bacon and eggs can get boring day after day and I’ve never been able to cook hash browns worth a damn. Cold cereal or oatmeal – BLEH! I want hot meat in my food. Skipping breakfast won’t work, that would just be putting eating off until lunch. I needed something quick, good and easy. So, over the last couple years, I’ve come up with some ‘Ole Man Breakfasts’, here’s one of them.

This thread is not an endorsement of any of these products, the stuff I use just works for me.

Put two or three tablespoons of cooking oil into a 10 inch non-stick pan at about 70% heat setting. Heat it up a bit then dump in some of these frozen potatoes. About half of what you figure you’ll eat.

677.jpg
680.jpg

Cover and cook on 70% for five or ten minutes then turn down to 50%. Uncover and cook these until they start to get golden brown
679.jpg
684.jpg

Next dump some of this meat & potato mix in the pan to make up the other half of what you would eat. Cover once more, turn the heat down a bit to 40% and cook for about ten minutes. Remove cover, stir it up a bit while cooking until all is nice and browned. The Ore-Ida potatoes are not precooked but the Jimmy Dean mixture is.
682.jpg

686.jpg

When it’s all browned up to your satisfaction jerk the pan off the heat and scrape the mixture over to one side of the pan. Crack in a fresh egg and scramble it up in the empty half of the pan. When you get it scrambled up mix the egg in with the rest of the meat & potatoes.
690.jpg

691.jpg

Dump it on a plate and serve with your favorite breakfast beverage (orange juice for me here)

694.jpg

BF

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I like bacon and eggs, ham n eggs, sausage and eggs, sometimes a burger and eggs, or even steak and eggs. Then, on a really rare occasion, salmon and eggs or kippered herring and eggs. I like eggs, scrambled, sunny, over easy, omelet or cooked into some potatoes, with onion and red pepper. Also have to have fresh hot coffee, or my own homemade iced coffee. To make that I brew up a really strong perked pot of Colombian or espresso roast, let it cool a bit and add almond milk and heavy cream and a tablespoon of Ghirardelli powdered chocolate, then cool it in the fridge. Add some ice and it's better than Starbuck any day.

I forgot to add, the very best combination is pan fried rainbow trout and eggs.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Fortunately, Mrs. Alton spoils me. Sausage and eggs, bacon & eggs, sausage, eggs, hash browns, cheese and salsa for a breakfast burrito, on special days I get fresh baked biscuits and gravy with hash browns and sausage or bacon on the side. Some days I get the Canadian Bacon. When Mrs. Alton makes biscuits she uses a can I cobbled up to make a biscuit cutter. She usually has one left over that's more of a blob kind of shape which always mine to put butter and honey on. Deluxe! Often that's all accompanied by a half pink grapefruit or homemade yogurt with homemade granola or during this time of year fresh strawberries from the garden. However, I AM THE coffee master. Hot, black, rich tasting from fresh ground beans. That and a glass of water and I am good to go.

Yes, I usually eat only breakfast and dinner. Lunch too often bogs me down. But I'm always game for another cup of coffee.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Fortunately, Mrs. Alton spoils me. Sausage and eggs, bacon & eggs, sausage, eggs, hash browns, cheese and salsa for a breakfast burrito, on special days I get fresh baked biscuits and gravy with hash browns and sausage or bacon on the side. Some days I get the Canadian Bacon. When Mrs. Alton makes biscuits she uses a can I cobbled up to make a biscuit cutter. She usually has one left over that's more of a blob kind of shape which always mine to put butter and honey on. Deluxe! Often that's all accompanied by a half pink grapefruit or homemade yogurt with homemade granola or during this time of year fresh strawberries from the garden. However, I AM THE coffee master. Hot, black, rich tasting from fresh ground beans. That and a glass of water and I am good to go.

Yes, I usually eat only breakfast and dinner. Lunch too often bogs me down. But I'm always game for another cup of coffee.
Dang, soundsLike the Mrs is trying to cash in on yyourlifre insurance , just kidding, I miss the days of breakfast buffets, but after having the big one I had to lose weight and watch the diet best can

RealJack

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Well, even if Mrs. Alton is trying to kill you, at least you'll die with a smile on your face. :2 thumbs up:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I like bacon and eggs, ham n eggs, sausage and eggs, sometimes a burger and eggs, or even steak and eggs.

Ah, A kindred Spirit.
Except I kick in either a White Cheese (Provolone or Swiss) or AMERICAN what the rest of the world calls Mild Cheddar.

Sometimes I'll take ALL those ingredients you list together for what I call a Breakfast Bowl. :finished 2:

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Dang, soundsLike the Mrs is trying to cash in on yyourlifre insurance , just kidding, I miss the days of breakfast buffets, but after having the big one I had to lose weight and watch the diet best can
Nah. She honestly loves me and loves to cook. Besides, the way I'm ploddin' along nowadays she may be collecting sooner than either of us thought. I understand the change in diets. I miss the days of pancakes, french toast, pecan sticky buns, strudel...mmmm, especially on those cold winter mornings. She cut me off of those things because she wants to keep me around a while longer she says.

Well, even if Mrs. Alton is trying to kill you, at least you'll die with a smile on your face. :2 thumbs up:
The happiest man alive indeed!

Surface

Seeker
Seeker
I like bacon and eggs, ham n eggs, sausage and eggs, sometimes a burger and eggs, or even steak and eggs. Then, on a really rare occasion, salmon and eggs or kippered herring and eggs. I like eggs, scrambled, sunny, over easy, omelet or cooked into some potatoes, with onion and red pepper. Also have to have fresh hot coffee, or my own homemade iced coffee. To make that I brew up a really strong perked pot of Colombian or espresso roast, let it cool a bit and add almond milk and heavy cream and a tablespoon of Ghirardelli powdered chocolate, then cool it in the fridge. Add some ice and it's better than Starbuck any day.

Eggs are very good for ya, heard Dr. Wallach going on about how some ancient guy attributed his physical spryness with the ladies to eating a couple dozen of them every day(eggs,not ladies), and Wallach claiming he eats a dozen or so a day himself. I do a half dozen for breakfast over various stuff to mix it up.

I don't mess with hot coffee, but do love Iced Coffee in the desert, But one or two of those a day adds up. I'm gonna try your recipe, thanks for the inspiration!

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Eggs are very good for ya, heard Dr. Wallach going on about how some ancient guy attributed his physical spryness with the ladies to eating a couple dozen of them every day(eggs,not ladies), and Wallach claiming he eats a dozen or so a day himself. I do a half dozen for breakfast over various stuff to mix it up.

I don't mess with hot coffee, but do love Iced Coffee in the desert, But one or two of those a day adds up. I'm gonna try your recipe, thanks for the inspiration!
Eggs are the best value in the grocery store, in my opinion, as far as nutritional bang for your buck and I even buy the expensive, free range hen kind. Lots of protein, vitamins, minerals and high quality fats.

I used to really like those Starbuck espressos with cream sold in seven ounce cans, but they're expensive and they're also marketed by a bunch of leftist nut jobs. That's why I started making my own at a small fraction of the cost. You'll have to experiment to get the recipe perfect for yourself, but it's worth it to save money and stick to the left coast lefties.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Ore-Ida hash browns are the best. I like them with eggs over easy. I like the shaved potatoes too. Good stuff.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Eggs are the best value in the grocery store, in my opinion, as far as nutritional bang for your buck and I even buy the expensive, free range hen kind. Lots of protein, vitamins, minerals and high quality fats.

I used to really like those Starbuck espressos with cream sold in seven ounce cans, but they're expensive and they're also marketed by a bunch of leftist nut jobs. That's why I started making my own at a small fraction of the cost. You'll have to experiment to get the recipe perfect for yourself, but it's worth it to save money and stick to the left coast lefties.
You can get a Hen for the price of a dozen "free range" eggs. If you let her roam she'll give you two eggs a day without any feed. They will be true free range eggs, much darker yoke. Those FR eggs in the store are misleading, they do not eat bugs or live in cages. They live in large fenced lots and are fed laying mash. Real chickens turn bugs into eggs.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Beer, just beer and breakfast is at 12:00 noon then supper when ever in the evening....so I only eat once a day but I doos love my vitamin B for breakfast.

I know weird right, this has been going on for years.
Beer for breakfast? This may explain some of your postings.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Beer for breakfast? This may explain some of your postings.
When I was a younger man it was a pull off of the vodka bottle then eggs and bacon, someday' it was sourdough pancakes then there was the deer. Yeah, yesterday evening it was two beers and three slices of pizza and I was knocked out before the chickens roosted but up at 12 midnight. This morn? Just two cups of coffie and waiting till breakfast time.

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Yeah, michael, in that last pic, of the plate on the table - the top half of that orange juice glass was where the vodka used to go.
cheers

BF

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yesterday I had a 1 1/2" thick steak, fried potatoes and two over easy eggs. Hot coffee and a small glass of grapefruit juice.

Then I took a nap before lunch.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

lighthousekeeper73

Silver Member
Silver Miner

I always enjoy me some "Newfie Steak" with my eggs ... aka Fried Bologna!
upload_2018-3-6_16-10-33.png

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

mayhem

Другая перспектива
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Oh, oh, sounds good.
pictures or it didn't happen.
just kidden

BF
It is too good to be true I agree. Either that of Alton is one of those guys who keeps his wife locked in a closet all the time and we are just finding out.

As far as your recipe for break-faster you could cook that up for me any time. My problem is with all the extended cook minutes your way I would be ready for nap before I could eat it.

Both the wife and I would love to have one of those robots Alton has.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Went a little crazy today.

Scrambled eggs with hot Italian sausage, imported ham and green pepper on a steak roll. Put a little hot sauce on it. 3 cups of coffee.

Tomorrow it'll be oatmeal with fruit and coffee.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Went a little crazy today.

Scrambled eggs with hot Italian sausage, imported ham and green pepper on a steak roll. Put a little hot sauce on it. 3 cups of coffee.

Tomorrow it'll be oatmeal with fruit and coffee.
Well, that'll burn on the way through.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Had to change my b-fust routine; the stores stopped selling the one with Bacon and only have one with sausage. So now I skip the Jimmy Dean addition, use more Ore-Ida spuds and chop up my own onions & peppers and add some bacon chunks. Not as easy but tastes better in the end.

BF

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Today for breakfast I reheated the filet mignon my wife failed to eat yesterday with 2 over easy eggs and a hard bread roll.
I skipped the potatoes.

It sure was good.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Mrs. Alton has been a fine woman and loves me like no other ever would or could. The added bonus is she loves to cook and especially to bake. Worst part is that I'm a willing Guinea pig...er....umm...official Quality Control Supervisor...yeah...that's it. She rarely uses a recipe or a measuring spoon, just a pinch of this, a handful of that and Poof! it's dinner time! If it means anything to y'all her parents and extended family are from a wide spot in the road in southwestern Minnesota and recipes are handed down for generations. Her grandparents came from Denmark around the turn of the last century. Grandpa was a master carpenter and grandma was, well, grandma who was quite talented with gardening and well and widely (nationally) known for her flowers. Despite a strong streak of artistic talent throughout the family they all lean heavily into technical skills. Computer tech/programming, cartography, agriculture. Mrs. Alton is a dietician. Uncle Snick had a remote starting system for his truck long before Detroit ever heard of one. It was wired instead of wireless but it worked great! Operated from a doorbell switch in the the kitchen by the back door. Made those cold Minnesota winter mornings a little more bearable. All just a little part of why Mrs. Alton is such an amazing woman.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Bullet proof coffee for me. I normally skip breakfast and lunch and just eat dinner.
I do the BPC on occasion, when I don't have much appetite. It carries me for a good six hours, or more.

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Ever try Korean Bibimbap for breakfast? Its so yummy!

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I love eggs and to make things even better I have access to local free range eggs from small local farms at only $3.25 a dozen. The yolks always have an orange hue and they have a lot more flavor than store bought eggs, although sometimes they have a slight fishy taste (but if people eat trout omelettes, who cares?). I simply boil them and cut em in half with a knife, shell and all, sprinkle Cajun seasoning on them and spoon them out. Takes very little time and NO dishes to wash, just a spoon and knife.
Last time I bought eggs they had duck eggs for $3.50 a dozen. They are a little rubbery when fried, but excellent boiled!

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I love eggs and to make things even better I have access to local free range eggs from small local farms at only $3.25 a dozen. The yolks always have an orange hue and they have a lot more flavor than store bought eggs, although sometimes they have a slight fishy taste (but if people eat trout omelettes, who cares?). I simply boil them and cut em in half with a knife, shell and all, sprinkle Cajun seasoning on them and spoon them out. Takes very little time and NO dishes to wash, just a spoon and knife.
Last time I bought eggs they had duck eggs for $3.50 a dozen. They are a little rubbery when fried, but excellent boiled!
I've noticed the fishy taste from free range eggs before, too. Wonder if maybe the hen owners give the hens fish meal to increase omega 3, or whether it's a natural produced flavor from the omega 3 fatty acids.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Hummm? Fish eggs? Or fishy smelling eggs? Naw, no way and I will stand my ground on that one. They are feeding something with a fish byproduct in it like maybey ground up fish guts. Speaking of eggs I need to get off my donkey and scrub that big pail of eggs that has been sitting for two/three/no I think four days now. I know, I know....we are very industrious here in the northwest, problem is I keep adding to the bucket every day and just let them sit. I am thinking of pickled eggs but my gallon jars have come up missing. I think the new miss's aka the old girlfriend gave them away because once I start on a jar I do not stop.....must have something to do with the fragrance that emanates behind me.... aww the smell of petunias. I am thinking just a two japalenos per jar this year. And, yes they go good with that first beer in the morning.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hummm? Fish eggs? Or fishy smelling eggs? Naw, no way and I will stand my ground on that one. They are feeding something with a fish byproduct in it like maybey ground up fish guts. Speaking of eggs I need to get off my donkey and scrub that big pail of eggs that has been sitting for two/three/no I think four days now. I know, I know....we are very industrious here in the northwest, problem is I keep adding to the bucket every day and just let them sit. I am thinking of pickled eggs but my gallon jars have come up missing. I think the new miss's aka the old girlfriend gave them away because once I start on a jar I do not stop.....must have something to do with the fragrance that emanates behind me.... aww the smell of petunias. I am thinking just a two japalenos per jar this year. And, yes they go good with that first beer in the morning.
I love pickled eggs. Unfortunately peeling boiled eggs is too sloppy at high elevations where I live so I don't bother very often. Wide mouth gallon jars are hard to come by. The lid on mine rusted out from the vinegar.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
I love pickled eggs. Unfortunately peeling boiled eggs is too sloppy at high elevations where I live so I don't bother very often. Wide mouth gallon jars are hard to come by. The lid on mine rusted out from the vinegar.
Actually when I boil and quench under cold water I only quench for a bit and then drain the water. This will shrink the egg but the heat from it will make it expand. Then I start/ I take a spoon thump the egg to crack, sliver the spoon under the shell and presto change oh the shell is in the sink and the egg is in the jar. This actually works very well. How do I know? Because I do not do a flat of eggs I do them ones wrapped all up....I think it is three flats? IDK, but man-oh-man the spoon thing works....it's kind of like doing a three minuet egg because you have to dip or get the spoon wet.