• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

The U.S. Faces A Catastrophic Food Supply Crisis In America As Farmers Struggle

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
The U.S. Faces A Catastrophic Food Supply Crisis In America As Farmers Struggle
Mac Slavo

American farmers are battling several issues when it comes to producing our food. Regulated low prices, tariffs, and the inability to export have all cut into the salaries of farmers. They are officially in crisis mode, just like the United States’ food supply.

“The farm economy’s in pretty tough shape,” said John Newton, chief economist at the American Farm Bureau Federation. “When you look out on the horizon of things to come, you start to see some cracks.” Average farm income has fallen to near 15-year lows under president Donald Trump’s policies, and in some areas of the country, farm bankruptcies are soaring. And with slightly higher interest rates, many don’t see borrowing more money as an option. “A lot of farmers are going to give the president the benefit of the doubt, and have to date. But the longer the trade war goes on, the more that dynamic changes,” said Brian Kuehl, executive director of Farmers for Free Trade, according to Politico.

With no end to the disastrous trade war in sight, many farmers have traveled to Washington to share their plights with the president himself hoping that he’ll end the trade war that’s exacerbating an already precarious food crisis. Farmers make up a fairly large chunk of president Trump’s base, and an unwillingness to put food production in the United States first could be detrimental for Trump reelection chances in 2020. It could also be the beginning of a catastrophic food shortage.

The Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis warned back in November of rising Chapter 12 bankruptcies used by family farmers to restructure massive amounts of debt. The Fed said that the strain of low commodity prices “is starting to show up not just in bottom-line profitability, but in simple viability.” The increase in bankruptcies was driven by woes in Wisconsin’s dairy sector, which shrunk by about 1,200 operations, or 13 percent, from 2016 to October 2018.

“You’ve had farms that have gone out of business, that have gone bankrupt because of this trade war,” said Kuehl of Farmers for Free Trade. “There’s a lot of farmers going through tough conversations right now with their lenders.” And so far, the government’s solution to the problem they created is to give more welfare to farmers, placing the burden on the backs of taxpayers.

As the government continues to pass the burden onto others while destroying the food industry, things could very well reach apocalyptic levels. Nothing will see this country spiral into complete disarray like a lack of food. Alarmingly, scientists have already said that the global food supply system is broken.

To put it simply, government interference in the agriculture industry is responsible for the food crisis we all are about to face.

Click here to subscribe: Join over one million monthly readers and receive breaking news, strategies, ideas and commentary.

Neither Mac Slavo or SHTF Plan are actively licensed or registered. We are not journalists or reporters. The information above is illegitimate until such time that a governing board approves our credentials, including but not limited to, our morals, ethics, grammatical and spelling ability, and journalistic background. Use of this information, disinformation, and misinformation is at your own risk.​

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/02.19/struggle.html

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
To put it simply, government interference in the agriculture industry is responsible for the food crisis we all are about to face.
ohhh please already,

there are massive amts of food around, with farmers as productive as ever,

the reason they are going bankrupt is prices due to over production,

take away .gov supports and watch that rectify itself toot sweet

EO 11110

Posting from Epstein Island
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
the ports stand at the ready to offload however much food is needed

chomper

Purveyor of Filth
Silver Miner
Australia won't commercially grow any crop or produce within 10 years. Every year there are new compliance and accreditation requirements for the fresh produce industry. They are almost at the point where these costs are near enough to the actual cost of growing, harvesting and storing a particular crop. The final straw will be when the envirotards create a non-existent ecological crisis they'll blame on horticulture.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Our rulers have enticed and coerced farmers to grow nothing but GMO corn, year after year. If they ever decided to actually produce any real food, they wouldn't know what to do.

chomper

Purveyor of Filth
Silver Miner
Our rulers have enticed and coerced farmers to grow nothing but GMO corn, year after year. If they ever decided to actually produce any real food, they wouldn't know what to do.
It isn't that they won't know what to do, the GMO garbage has spread so far and wide, growing real food would be near on impossible.
Unless Farmer Joe has protected his seed from contamination, it's GMO to hell for you guys...

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The only "crisis" will be in the east coast and west coast cities. We in rural America will get along just fine.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Back in the 70’s all the experts predicted food production couldn’t keep up with population growth ....mass starvation was only years away.

Almost 50 years later there’s s cheeseburger stand on every corner of America and Taco Bell is open till 3am for “fourth meal”.

EO 11110

Posting from Epstein Island
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Back in the 70’s all the experts predicted food production couldn’t keep up with population growth ....mass starvation was only years away.

Almost 50 years later there’s s cheeseburger stand on every corner of America and Taco Bell is open till 3am for “fourth meal”.
indeed. more recently it was the drought in tx, the drought in the midwest, the drought in cali.....etc, etc

Area51

Silver Miner
Seeker
A hundred years ago 30% of Americans lived on a farm - - today only 1%.

The family farm has been replaced by fast food shitholes and greasy spoon restaurants.

chomper

Purveyor of Filth
Silver Miner
The family farm has been replaced by fast food shitholes and greasy spoon restaurants.
This fact is forgotten by most when they sink their battered teeth into a sloppy fast food burger full of mystery meat.

The factory farm concept is a blight that has made its way to Australia as well. The Chinese are buying them up, along with the dairy processors and the supermarkets.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It isn't that they won't know what to do, the GMO garbage has spread so far and wide, growing real food would be near on impossible.
Unless Farmer Joe has protected his seed from contamination, it's GMO to hell for you guys...
My understanding as of a few years ago was that there were only a few crops that were GMO. Corn, soybeans, wheat and 1 or 2 others.
The last couple of years there has been some serious crop losses around the planet. By the time things get serious I imagine China will ramp it up in Africa and then feed the world.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member

So before the industrial revolution we were an agrarian society? I thought that was just a myth someone started on Facebook.

All those cute little Norman Rockwell painting family farms gone and yet somehow we’re all living longer. I’m not a big fast food or greasy spoon conaseur, my income doesn’t force me into those places ...I’m sorry if yours does, but I like going to bed knowing that a delicious double sausage and cheese pizza is only a phone call away.

In Toronto for the weekend, going to Chinatown for lunch ....I’ll try and post a pic of old Mr P with a big plate of chicken feet.

Area51

Silver Miner
Seeker
This fact is forgotten by most when they sink their battered teeth into a sloppy fast food burger full of mystery meat.

The factory farm concept is a blight that has made its way to Australia as well. The Chinese are buying them up, along with the dairy processors and the supermarkets.

That's correct.

People used to eat cheaply because they would grow their own fruits and vegetables then canning or freeze them.

Now they eat cheaply because they can go to a shithole restaurant and get a "meal" for a few dollars.

I had a good laugh at how some insist this is "progress" and everyone will live longer because of it.

Area51

Silver Miner
Seeker
My understanding as of a few years ago was that there were only a few crops that were GMO. Corn, soybeans, wheat and 1 or 2 others.
The last couple of years there has been some serious crop losses around the planet. By the time things get serious I imagine China will ramp it up in Africa and then feed the world.
A hundred years ago soybeans were virtually non existent in America.

Then in the 1930s they figured out it would make cheap protein for animal food.

Fast forward, and now it's a cheap protein for human food.

Progress!

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

When I was a little boy, say 70 years ago, my Dad was a tenant farmer. The house in which we lived did not have electric service and the only running water was from the hand pump operated at the kitchen sink, which was built over the well. Needless to say, we did our business in the outhouse. Light in the evening came from kerosene lanterns. Don't remember the heat -- must have been coal for heating and cooking.

But my grandmother kept my clothes clean, mended and pressed. She said that clean clothes in good repair were what kept us from being poor, LOL. I think she had a point there.

Area51

Silver Miner
Seeker
Martin Armstrong says this is the final stage before we begin a huge up cycle in commodities - around 2020. I tend to agree.
If you're talking about a huge upswing in food prices - - yes, I completely agree. Food prices are ridiculously low.

It's a mathematical impossibility to make any money selling chicken for $0.59/lb.

But once good prices are no longer kept artificially low, the rest of the economy is going to come to a grinding halt because people won't have money for gas guzzling SUVs and trucks.

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner

They were talking about starvation in Africa back then. Nobody seriously thought the majority of the developing and the developed countries would starve.

Back then everybody in the know understood the power of the tractor and cheap energy / fertilizer.

The problem was and still is a monetary one. You must look at what they don't talk about to know where the real issues and solutions reside.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
They were talking about starvation in Africa back then. Nobody seriously thought the majority of the developing and the developed countries would starve.

Back then everybody in the know understood the power of the tractor and cheap energy / fertilizer.

The problem was and still is a monetary one. You must look at what they don't talk about to know where the real issues and solutions reside.
Back in the late 1940s and early 50s, Grandma would admonish us to clean our plates, "Think about those starving children in China." If only we all could have seen what was coming.

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Back in the late 1940s and early 50s, Grandma would admonish us to clean our plates, "Think about those starving children in China." If only we all could have seen what was coming.

Merlin, Your Grandma was right!

Thank you for that post, it sheds additional and important light on this matter. The truth is important to know and it is good that your Grandma was aware of what was going on in the world at that time, even if she may have known or not known the root causes or their situation.

They were starving during that period - not all. but many. Many were also being rounded up by the state and either killed or sent to hard labor camps. Some of these camps are actually still in operation today.

But don't blame that on those poor, starving masses. The monetary systems and control systems in place were actually quite advanced for such an impoverished nation in turmoil. The elite had had literally thousands of years in developing those control and monetary systems.

Remember, it was the Chinese who invented paper money, many thousands of years ago.

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Very few Americans eat the "right" kind of Food" anymore. Farm fresh food is a luxury for the well to do while the unwashed masses eat Doritos and Mac-n-Cheese!
Even for those of us who reject processed snacks and "fill you up" quick empty calories, still, the extra cost of organic fruits and vegis and other healthy, non-GMO type quality foods puts them often beyond our reach.

A two-class system is what the world lived under for many thousands of years. The recent American experiment (middle class) is over, The American dream is dead. America's beacon of hope for the masses of the world has gone dark. Only the illusions and fumes remain.

Worse than that, the media has successfully framed the debate for us so that any positive solution for the poor or the middle class is outside anyone's talking points - you can even read the debates here at this forum and see numerous examples of that.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
There is plenty if 'real food' being produced in farm country, but we save it for ourselves. Everyone wants fast and cheap, so we send them fast and cheap. I know quite a few folks here who grow, or their neighbors grow, or produce, ALL their own food. We even have a lady down the road who milks 3 cows twice a day, and makes and sells cheese and other dairy products. The only folk here eating roundup ready grain are the town folks.

We own some farm ground in the san luis valley, its being used for potato production. You know how that works right.............when the potatoes are just the right size they are sprayed with glyphosate to kill the plants. All the potato farmers there, that I know, buy their eating potatoes from a guy in Blanca Colorado who grows organic potatoes, and lets the plants fully mature and die naturally before harvest.

Im not the least bit worried about starving. Those disconnected from the food production chain might be in trouble however.

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
There is plenty if 'real food' being produced in farm country, but we save it for ourselves. Everyone wants fast and cheap, so we send them fast and cheap. I know quite a few folks here who grow, or their neighbors grow, or produce, ALL their own food. We even have a lady down the road who milks 3 cows twice a day, and makes and sells cheese and other dairy products. The only folk here eating roundup ready grain are the town folks.

We own some farm ground in the san luis valley, its being used for potato production. You know how that works right.............when the potatoes are just the right size they are sprayed with glyphosate to kill the plants. All the potato farmers there, that I know, buy their eating potatoes from a guy in Blanca Colorado who grows organic potatoes, and lets the plants fully mature and die naturally before harvest.

Im not the least bit worried about starving. Those disconnected from the food production chain might be in trouble however.

While I enjoyed reading your post and it does indeed reflect what I have seen during my travels, I'm unfortunately not hopeful for the sustainability of that situation over the long run.

For this current generation of small, holistic farmers - things may seem to be operating fine with few future concerns.

However, I don't see the eventual situation we are heading for, where a 2-class system evolves, allowing for such freedoms and benefits. A day may come in the next few decades where small organic farms are taken over by the state, in addition to the large industrial farms.

The elite and TPTB are not stupid, right now they can simply buy food from these holistic farm operations. When that is no longer part of the transfer process, they will simply take it away for themselves.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well, it's not all about the elites and the money system. Part of the problem is the world's exploding populations. Do you think we can feed ten billion or more using coopersmith's healthy methods? We're being forced into GMOs by our burgeoning headcount, are we not?

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well, it's not all about the elites and the money system. Part of the problem is the world's exploding populations. Do you think we can feed ten billion or more using coopersmith's healthy methods? We're being forced into GMOs by our burgeoning headcount, are we not?
The banking elites are the ones saying that WE should be feeding the expanding population of third worlders while the White population has remained the same for decades. If the third worlders want to have more children than they can afford to buy real food for, let them eat whatever they can afford....or have less children. There is no logical reason we should poison ourselves.
I don't think the Monsanto family is eating GMO crap Roundup sprayed vegetables.

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The "over-population" topic is another myth used as an excuse.

The planet could actually support 10 times as many people as today and in a much better and more prosperous way as well. Even GMO and advanced fertilizers/pesticides is not required.

The solutions are out there, but instead... .... the nations of our planet spend most of their time and wealth on wars and war machines, in addition to several other very counter-productive agendas.

Area51

Silver Miner
Seeker
Farm fresh food is a luxury for the well to do while the unwashed masses eat Doritos and Mac-n-Cheese!

Anyone with half a brain and a modicum of work ethic can grow farm fresh food in their own backyard.

It's ridiculously simple to grow potatoes, tomatoes, beets, carrots, lettuce, squash, beans and peas.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

....I agree .........but no one can deny the huge impact on production GMO and Gly has had on the ag industries productivity......(i guess my point is i dont think Ag could produce enough to feed the town people without the GMO/Gly)

Area51

Silver Miner
Seeker
....I agree .........but no one can deny the huge impact on production GMO and Gly has had on the ag industries productivity......(i guess my point is i dont think Ag could produce enough to feed the town people without the GMO/Gly)

Don't be duped into believing that horseshit about GMO crops producing higher yields.

There's less time spent working the soil to prepare for planting, but terms of yield there's no difference between the GMO roundup ready crops and traditional non GMO ones

Insect-resistant GE crops have decreased crop loss due to plant pests. However, the committee examined data on overall rates of increase in yields of soybean, cotton, and maize in the U.S. for the decades preceding introduction of GE crops and after their introduction, and there was no evidence that GE crops had changed the rate of increase in yields.

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=23395

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Anyone with half a brain and a modicum of work ethic can grow farm fresh food in their own backyard.

It's ridiculously simple to grow potatoes, tomatoes, beets, carrots, lettuce, squash, beans and peas.
Not if you live in a HOA subdivision...