• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

This Is How To Keep Flies Out Of Your House All Year

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
guess i am screwed since my doors are north facing and under a canopy.......better test would be in the horse barn :)

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
This helps too. Stand at your front door and chant to the world

Awa Tagu Siam

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Looks kinda tacky, seems to work....

1533812199591.png

Saul Mine

Seeker
Seeker
Fill a sprayer with half water and half white vinegar, then add a tsp of mint extract for each cup of liquid. Spray liberally inside your house any time you think of it. That repels all insects and mice, day or night, no PhD analysis required. Potted mint plants have a similar effect, except you can spray places where you can't grow plants. Besides that, some of us can't keep a rock garden alive.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
mint exstract is what a lot of grass seed farmers use in their ware houses. Me? I swat the flies to feed the ants, circle of life baby circle of life.

LocoFoco

Fill a sprayer with half water and half white vinegar, then add a tsp of mint extract for each cup of liquid. Spray liberally inside your house any time you think of it. That repels all insects and mice, day or night, no PhD analysis required. Potted mint plants have a similar effect, except you can spray places where you can't grow plants. Besides that, some of us can't keep a rock garden alive.
I have tried that with limited success. Turn the light on in the kitchen at 2AM and I still see little roach babies sightseeing. I might as well just flail my arms wildly and scream "booga wooga" like I'm in a rap video to scare them off.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
There's only one fool proof 100% effective way to keep flies from inside your house year round. Build it in Antarctica!

MrLucky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I have tried that with limited success. Turn the light on in the kitchen at 2AM and I still see little roach babies sightseeing. I might as well just flail my arms wildly and scream "booga wooga" like I'm in a rap video to scare them off.
Try a little dusting with diatomaceous earth (DE). Works pretty good on crawling insects. Read up on it. Results are not instant though.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
So you guys got flies and for some reason I have field mice this year. Well had one pesky mouse that was homing on the countertop, just a pissin and pooping every where. So did the dishes and left a sink half full of water. Little fast guy just could not tread water, much.

Saul Mine

Seeker
Seeker
Get a small bottle of boric acid at the drug store, or a large bottle of Roach-Pruf at the hardware store. (It might be labeled "Matador De Cucarachas".) Take a small amount on the tip of a spoon and blow it in the general direction of any place you have seen a roach, any crack in a baseboard, and under sinks. Not in open floor areas or cupboards. The powder sticks to a roach's shell and dissolves the waxy coating so they dehydrate. They carry it back to the nest and pass it around and it wipes out the entire nest. One application is usually enough.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
For in house flies, tennis racket fly zapper - the ones from Harbor Freight work just fine.

For cock roaches, kill everyone one you see with whatever is handy - especially in the middle of the night in the kitchen. Also take some boric acid, flour, and confectioners sugar (at least 50% boric acid), add a little water and make a dough - roll into little balls (marble size and smaller) and place them behind appliances, under cabinets, under the sink, etc.

I've lived in lots of old houses and never spray commercial poisons - after I've lived there a while, bugs are not a problem.

fly zapper.jpg

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Little fast guy just could not tread water, much.
OR
Long.
As a kid we lost a hamster who was an escape artist from his cage until he met the Kitchen Sink's version of the Chinese Water Torture Cell.
He survived his first attempt as us kids were up and heard a little "splunk" from the kitchen. Mom pulled out her hair dryer and blow dried him that time.
The second time we must all been in bed when The Great Escape Occurred his 2nd and final time. He was found in the morning.

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I have a squadron of these patrolling my house perimeter. They take care of ants too.

And they keep my dog entertained all day, chasing them around.